La Jacinthe 1823 by guraus - Scale 1:48 - Goelette

Hello,

Here is my new project: the schooner "La Jacinthe" at 1/48 based on Jean Boudriot's monograph from Ancre. 

As there are no frames plans in the monograph I will do a solid hull model as suggested by the author. The keel and frames I made out of 6mm plywood, the deck was covered with 1.5mm thick bass strips and the spaces in-between the frames was filled with 10mm x 20mm strips of cedar wood. The hull was sanded then the imperfections were filled with wood filler and sanded again. It is now ready to be planked - I will use pear wood for external haul planking and holly for the deck.

At this moment I plan to do a full rigged model and with the rigging the model will be 80/25/60cm (L/W/H). Hull only is 48/13/10cm

Here are the pictures with the progress so far.

Regards,

Alexandru

DSC07160.jpg

DSC07161.jpg

DSC07162.jpg

DSC07163.jpg

DSC07164.jpg

DSC07165.jpg

DSC07166.jpg

DSC07167.jpg

DSC07168.jpg

DSC07170.jpg

DSC07171.jpg

DSC07172.jpg

DSC07173.jpg

DSC07174.jpg

DSC07175.jpg

DSC07176.jpg

DSC07177.jpg

DSC07178.jpg

DSC07179.jpg

DSC07180.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
5 hours ago, paulsutcliffe said:

Wow, looking good guraus, welcome back, hows that beautiful victory of yours holding up?

My Victory sits nicely in her display case - I didn't touch it in the last couple of years. Now and then I look at her and I say to me I will take it out and add some small details like pins in the pintails, lids on gunports, deadeyes and chainplates etc. 

IMG_8500.jpeg

Hello Alexandrus,

I agree with the other folks that you've made a very fine model.  However, as a retired draughtsman/designer, I 'm noting

an omission. I also have a set of the "Jacinth" dwgs from Ancre, but I'm not able to look at them now;   I see you have put

3 reefs in the fore-topsail.  How could the seamen reef the topsail, if there are no foot-ropes to stand on? These would not

be difficult to add!  Kind Regards, Pollex (Calgary)    20 april'2020

Edited by pollex
added date
32 minutes ago, pollex said:

Hello Alexandrus,

I agree with the other folks that you've made a very fine model.  However, as a retired draughtsman/designer, I 'm noting

an omission. I also have a set of the "Jacinth" dwgs from Ancre, but I'm not able to look at them now;   I see you have put

3 reefs in the fore-topsail.  How could the seamen reef the topsail, if there are no foot-ropes to stand on? These would not

be difficult to add!  Kind Regards, Pollex (Calgary)    20 april'2020

Pollex,

You are right, there are foot-ropes on both spars on that masts in the plans - I just checked. I've missed them, and probably missed a number of other ropes. I might add them when I revisit the model in a while - I sometimes do that like I did with my Japanese Fune.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Alexandru

Thank you guys!

I am quite happy with this model especially considering I am not usually rig my models, even rarely I make the sails. 

I have tried some new (for me) way to make the sails and I liked the results so that the model I am currently working on will be also fully rigged. 

Alexandru