I know the real answer to this one before I start - use decent wood.

But  assuming you have a nicely planked hull in typical poor kit quality "walnut"   and you want to cut out the odd port, window aperture hawse hole etc what is the best tool(s)  and approach?.

If you can cut a sufficient aperture then a fine file does a good job though very tedious.

A blade, (scalpel or X-acto) new or sharp doesnt cut as well as I would expect across the grain, a very fine saw runs the danger of splintering bits off. 

I can get by fine drilling out as much as possible against a backing piece of wood, plus careful new blade use and then with patience and a file.

It just doesnt feel efficient or perhaps I am just too impatient?

I had forgotten that i have a diamond very thin ( 2mm ?) cylindrical burr .

Mind me and a powered burr may add some non historical carved work to the hull !!

I shall seek it out and try it.

I still like my teeny jewellers files for actual finishing, especially the square cross section one which does corners so well.

Edited by SpyGlass

Drilling a series of small holes INSIDE the final lines, and then finishing with files and/or sanding sticks works quite well. If you have a look at Danny Vadas's Vulture log, you'll see how he cut all of his ports. The use of " tailor made" sanding sticks that are just right for the opening I think is key to a good result.

All good advice - thank you gentlemen. I seem to have a particularly "difficult" set of walnut second planking strips on this Pegausus build . I dont remember ever having so much difficulty getting a clean cut.  I actually went and bought new blades because I assumed that somehow all my existing blades were blunt - but the new ones were no better.

As I said at the start - good quality  " suitable" wood is the first key.

One tool I cant find in my box or any guide to on the web which was always useful was rather like an narrow  nail clipper with an angled head which i have used with great success to do the first rough shaping. I have no idea where I got it or what it actually was ( perhaps it was a nail clipper? - any ideas?))

Anyway now I have my diamond burr , my drill and I have made a template for drilling the holes sets, and my nice range of files and sanding sticks.  Onwards!

Edited by SpyGlass