Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - FINISHED - 1:30 - Swedish clinker built work boat - SMALL

53 minutes ago, wefalck said:

No Glögg ?

Sorry wefalck, of course there is glögg!

Still plenty in supply 😉 season is not over yet 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

7 hours ago, cog said:

Those still exist in Sweden!?

Carl, yes they do. As you most certainly have read in any international paper Sweden has not indulged in total lock down. Blablabla death rates, numbers and all. Anything and everything can be shown with statistics...

Anyway, my line of work is in deployment of medical IT. No shortage of work there I can tell. 😉

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

So, after first day at the office, well, home office for the time being I was eager to get out and finish of the sheer strake.

Apple was equally easy to bend as birch but as it turns out, much harder to sand. Which is a good thing because it holds edges really well.

I will not treat you with any close ups just yet because even if it looks really good and there has been quite a lot filing and sanding the sheer is not exactly where I want it. 

Yesterday I also finished the building board. It will make due for small builds but for my next project I need to build a larger one (oh, a cliffhanger..).

Next up will be frames and other internal members. For that I need to revisit the plans in my computer to figure out placement and such. 

Please excuse the occasionally unfocused images. They do however add that airy touch and enhances the subject somewhat 😉 

20210107_193659.jpg.2e53ccb4f090631745a3883deb54e3f2.jpg

20210107_193708.jpg.bdc4debe5ac12d15d76690cb04bb5dd3.jpg

20210107_193714.jpg.9edf860d2e07433294c03d14fc7abace.jpg

20210107_193725.jpg.fc3a56f25a08d42027cb5e3f67e3c3e4.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

19 minutes ago, cog said:

IT ... yes I know, they can't leave us be enjoy our hobby somehow

Or as I said to my line manager that I work to get the money to pay for my hobbies and it's  a shame that work so severely affects hobby-time 😄 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

1 hour ago, Wintergreen said:

Or as I said to my line manager that I work to get the money to pay for my hobbies and it's  a shame that work so severely affects hobby-time 😄 

I fully agree ;)

Great little model 👍

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thank you guys!

@druxey - Thanks for your approval! Your build of the Royal Barge was what set this in motion once upon a time. I am of course careful to show only the best angles of the hull 😉 

Carvel or lap strake is quite unforgiving and I didn't managed to get port and starboard equal. Port side is a little higher, but that will not be prominent once on display I think.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

42 minutes ago, Wintergreen said:

Carvel or lap strake is quite unforgiving and I didn't managed to get port and starboard equal. Port side is a little higher, but that will not be prominent once on display I think.

You can do a half hull display ...

I didn't see the difference though ... either minimal difference or very well taken photographs

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

1 hour ago, cog said:

either minimal difference or very well taken photographs

@cog it's the latter 😄 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hi guys!

Thanks for comments and likes. 🙂 

About frames.

At the moment, this thing about clinker-boats does not seem so appealing any more... a Kingdom for a carvel built hull!

Well well, insert words like "perseverance" and "patience" and "long term goal" here. 

I made an effort with a piece of cardboard and a compass to see what the challenges were. And boy, they were many. 
In the first picture that first effort can be seen lingering around in the hull. 

Basically one needs something to take measurements from, like a gantry. 

Then something to lift the measurements with. A caliper seemed like a good choice, but to flimsy and could be guaranteed to be vertical.

A depth gauge on the other hand has all the right attributes for this.

For every measurement a line was drawn on the paper strip to mark its position athwartships. The results can be seen i second picture. For those that can read my figures you will see that the hull is not a perfect mirror image. It's not by much but the eye will catch it if allowed.

Next step I guess is to take measurements for all frames and then transfer them to a paper. Cut out, test fit and if okay, transfer to wood and, well, I think you can guess the rest.

20210109_181808.jpg.0c9782df8a15fa761f2c81341dd36af4.jpg

In the above picture the line that goes across is aft perpendicular. The shorter lines represents the front face of each frame.

In addition to the frames there will be two mast steps and a couple of shorter frames, merely uprights to support thwart by the masts.

20210109_184112.jpg.8ebeb0ee4d771a4b3483c5a8daa1e376.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

I have seen people glueing together templates for the outside of the (sawn) frames from short pieces of cardboard, perhaps twice as wide as the planks and overlapping each other.

Lucky those, who are building clinker-boats with bent frames ;)

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

The method that @wefalck suggest works well when the planks are reasonably wide (above 5 mm or so). I used it on my medieval long ship. When the planks are narrower and more numerous its start to be hard, so on my sloop I am using a method similar to what @Wintergreen is showing, it is much less accurate.

Well, this didn't turn out half-bad if I may say so myself. 😉 

20210110_172145.jpg.47803181c48bd9fd2527ccf0e9160bda.jpg

They're not glued in place yet since I ponder over finishing.

Now, how did that happen you ask?

My depth probing resulted in this template. A little bit off, but decent. Tricky part was in the bilge and that it has 23 spots to conform to at the same time... and paper is flimsy to work with.

20210110_092456.jpg.bdf48aca1055013defb0c3f7d8de0b76.jpg

So, suggestion from @wefalck was given a thought. I saw @bolin using that method as well. On a bigger subject it would work for sure.

I gave it a try with each paper strip matching 2-3 planks. Not usable in my case was the conclusion. Still to flimsy.

Also, the frames are very similar and only changes shape slightly for each pair for and aft so something that could be used over and over again was to prefer. 

Came up with this idea:

20210110_114729.jpg.ed1b3d761a958d27bd16f3c3061747e4.jpg

Boards of roughly the same thickness as the frames, cut from birch. 15 mm wide (guess that's something like 5/8").

Leftmost in this picture is reference side. Once port template was done, a new reference was clamped on.

20210110_153321.jpg.14f6a787ffc0f101230d392619e3de13.jpg

Pros:

only three planks to ease in to for each template board.

can be used for consecutive frames with just minor adjustments.

clamps easily to the gantry and can be managed without fiddliness (not a word, I know, but you know what I mean)

Once satisfied it is a simple task to take them all, secured with a tape on the far side and clamps at the ends and transfer result onto  framing material (apple, 2,3 mm thick).

Cons:

Well, not a con really, but it takes time. But that's true for all things considered in a 1:30 ratio to true world. 😉 

And an in-between shot with port frame half done.

20210110_123256.jpg.2b124a51eaa702ffd9cdfc437c2fad67.jpg

I even managed to get the limber holes in, or what they're called. 🙂 

Best of all - it didn't take all day to produce one full frame!

Also, thanks for given attention with likes and comments!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Your tracing contrapment is a bit like those DIY tracers with a stack of steel rods in a frame ...

It occured to me, that one could also use one of those consumer laser-scanners to produce cross sections and print them onto paper templates.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

11 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Your tracing contrapment is a bit like those DIY tracers with a stack of steel rods in a frame

Yes, I pondered over such a thing first. But several reviews said it takes a bit of force to form the rods. So, I came up with the above idea, which proved useful.

A laser scanner would surely work, but then I try to keep things simple and always the K.I.S.S rule in mind (Keep It Simple, St...).

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Good job Hakan! I thought the first method was desperately difficult but the last method seems elegant and the frame came out fine. Indeed, the scale make this task even more difficult.

The boat is coming along fine

Vaddoc

Just a wee update so you I'm still at it. 😉

Main problem now is outside temperature. Since my workshop is heated by an air-air heater, when mercury drops below -5 Celcius it can't really keep the shop warm. So, extra heater is engaged. Starting out at around 12-13 degrees inside in the morning, temperature slowly raises to 15-16 at lunch time, and if lucky, another degree during afternoon. 

The last couple of days it has been lovely winter with down to minus 10 Celsius. Say no more.

(My workshop is adjacent to the garage btw).

20200116_1903.jpg.7f8f4c795687ca7900872e625b92a3e9.jpg

Anyway, the task at hand is cutting frames. I manage one half frame per day during weekdays and maybe 1 to 1.5 full frame per day on weekends.

The template sticks works really well. Frames 4 to 8 are done and waiting for fastening. Currently work is on the after most frame, no 9. No 4 and 9 also has a maststep partner.

At the moment a break was needed since I realized that I need to redo frame no 4. 

20210116_104300.jpg.1b8cb7ec47e6ec92831949ba127784d2.jpg

However, on another note I got really excited today since the plans for my next build arrived as pdf:s. Yay!

That'll be fun when time comes. Need to be done with this one first though.

As always, thanks for Likes and comments! Appreciated 🙂 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Hahan, you are living very nicely there, just like in a post card. I have the same temperature problems in my worshop. Fortunately it is never as cold here as in Sweden. Yesterday we had the first snow of this winter here, but today it will melt away. Wednesday the weather forecast is already showing +10 degrees Celsius.

Edited by G.L.

Håkan, that's a beautiful location ..... I miss the snow in one way, but lately having temps at 12 °C it's nice not to have to worry about slick roads .... however the workshop of mine is cold... has a solid concrete pad radiating the cold from the ground into the shop.

Heating solution is under consideration.

Now as for the Kåg, what you have done is beautiful, and I am looking forward to more of it...

Bästa hälsningar

Per

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Beautiful country Sweden.
We went there a few times in the summer by car on vacation.

Nice house and great work on the model.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Very beautiful wooden line Hakan.:imNotWorthy: I look forward to continuing. Ondras

Edited by Ondras71

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en