Mississippi 1870 by vossy - Sergal - 1:50 - Riverboat

wow!  you've made some great progress :)   the third tier and pilot house looks great.......nice bit of detail.  finding the right mix of people is hard....even for the period it's based on.  color and a few adjustments will work in your favor;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

wow!  you've made some great progress :)   the third tier and pilot house looks great.......nice bit of detail.  finding the right mix of people is hard....even for the period it's based on.  color and a few adjustments will work in your favor;) 

Thanks mate, she is coming along slowly. Most of the people are just sitting on there, courtesy of my sister. I intend to paint them all different colors and put them around the boat so to the casual observer they appear to be different people. Already I have a few of the same figures on permanently, but because they are painted and in such different area's of the boat I doubt many will realize they are in fact the same figures. The Captain at the helm is the same figure as the guy with the lantern in the horse bay area, and the guy leaving the wheelhouse is the same figure as the guy opening the forward starboard door on the main deck. I just painted the wheel house guy's clothes black to make him out as a bit more important crew member. All up I have about 36 people, but only 6 of them are unique, so the trick is to try to make each look a bit different by painting and positioning I guess.

Chris

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Andrew, I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been in the same position of trying to find purpose and value in the things a loved one leaves behind. However, this thread probably isn't the best place to ask your question as it's devoted to a single build of this model and hasn't been updated in almost a year. You might consider posting in this thread, a general discussion of all riverboat-related items, where you're likely to find a larger audience of people interested in such models.

Also, have you considered trying to finish it yourself as a tribute to, and memoriam of, your father? You'd find a lot of support here if you did.

• 8 months later...

Hi all. After a long break for various reasons I intend to begin to update my log for the Riverboat. I have done a little bit more to her since last post about 3 years ago.

I will post more pics soon, and hope that people who were following along are still here.

Sorry for my absence.

Chris

Still here, Chris.  Glad to see you back.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

On 7/5/2022 at 6:07 AM, vossy said:

Hi all. After a long break for various reasons I intend to begin to update my log for the Riverboat. I have done a little bit more to her since last post about 3 years ago.

I will post more pics soon, and hope that people who were following along are still here.

Sorry for my absence.

Chris

Yupz, still here, and sometimes there ... hope you are doing well, Chris

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 10 months later...

Yes, Chris -- agree.  Have you done more?

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

• The title was changed to Mississippi 1870 by vossy - Sergal - 1:50 - Riverboat