To furl or not to furl

Paul0367

Help. I was lead to beleive that when the canons are run out for battle as the image shows the lower sails are furled to prevent canon balls shredding them. But the image contradicts this theory. Now was this an artist licence to paint the HMS Victory in this way, or are our beliefs questionable. I ask as I am creeping upto this stage. I considered leaving her bereft of sails but why would canons be run out when there are no sails on her. 

This image was from a documentary : Shipwrecks Britains Sunken past  

20180114_101817.jpg

Edited by Paul0367
Added latter text

Some of that is artistic license.   There's other times the guns were fully run out such as stoning the deck or just to provide room for the crew to move about.  Even for ventilation.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)