Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Hi everyone - been working on the stern. The stern fascia is in 2 pieces which are glued together after adding a spacer & some PE windows. One thing that was puzzling me was the instructions said to paint the window frames black along with the outside frames,while the enclosed photos of the finished ship has the frames painted gold:huh:. I decided to just paint the windows & frames white:P. The decorations on the inner fascia were added also.  Hard to tell from my picture,but there is a space of about 10mm between the 2 pieces at the deck level. I don`t know why,but the windows look uneven in the last picture - may have something to do with the zoom on my cheapo camera. In the third picture you can see that they are in reality nice & even.

DSCF0001.JPG.33b2d018dec4eb6268f402f0878f74d2.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.ffca0f62704b63ee12fd692327418b11.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.017c1c5234283ff8d4ba2c6e55295eef.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG.ea375eb8d6d248ffae44a2648f81df03.JPG

Mark 

Edited by marktiedens

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hi everyone - after a lot of shimming & re-shaping (plus a few choice words)I got the framework for the side galleries on.In order for the wedge shaped pieces to fit the hull and the stern fascia plus the PE windows,they had to be modified quite a bit.

DSCF0001.JPG.cec34c7f58a60d0ea3fed10393bbcd24.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.fbd7f867bdb32276729cf3eb9d113d0e.JPG

Mark

Update - the side gallery windows are now in place. All the windows are PE brass & rather plain looking,so I framed them with some .6mm strips. Still have some railings to add & a bunch more trim work to do on the stern fascia.

DSCF0002.JPG.9bd6147802901ff16320eecd4a658546.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.483b68dcef16ff0eedb78657deaa8075.JPG

Mark

Very nice work on your quarter gallery windows!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Looks fantastic Mark, really nice job.  Interesting how the quarter galleries have that ledge.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike - a railing will go on the outer part of that ledge. I also added some of the mouldings on the edges to hide the plywood. The plans showed the edge mouldings in some places,but not in others. This is just about the worst design of the galleries I have seen - the brass etched windows did not fit in the places like the plans show,so I had to do a bit of filing on them as well as some major surgery on the framework. The problem is the window sections are made straight - they should have been made with a bow in them so they would lay flat when bent to fit the curve of the floors. I`m not totally happy with how they came out, but I will leave them as is.

Mark 

Looks like you made some sweet tasting lemonade despite being given lemons.  Nice job!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike. Everything up to now went together really well with very little "adjustments",so it`s kind of a mystery why the stern is so far off:huh:.Also,I`m still fighting the plywood which tries to fall apart when I sand or file near the edges:angry:. I will soldier on,but no more OcCre kits for me!

Mark

Looking very very sharp  - love the detail in the window frames.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi everyone - a little more progress. More mouldings & some paint work done. Also,the railings for the galleries are now done - a bit fiddly to line up all the stanchions. More windows have also been added forward of the galleries. Still have another railing to make for the stern fascia,and of course, more mouldings. Thanks for looking in!

DSCF0002.JPG.c89f4167221aa7c00e00c4fa11b6eb58.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.239dc86d3160a07aff4010cbce355aa1.JPG

Mark

A little more progress.......The the railing & mouldings are now done,which nearly finishes the stern of the ship - came out better than the semi-disaster of the side galleries. Since I am not following the order of assembly of the instructions,I think I will finish off the stern by installing the rudder & making the 2 gunport lids.

DSCF0001.JPG.53b0bb3a11a2bba975c3fb2804e0ab49.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.d0678c3d68741edf248db16736ebb333.JPG

Mark

Hi everyone - the stern is now finished. The rudder & chains were installed along with the gunport lids. The instructions showed them 3/4 shut with no cannons,but I decided to show them open & added cannon barrels from my stash. They were made curved to match the curve of the counter.

DSCF0004.JPG.890f1c788feda09bab57ec2d96966892.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG.6552069a052a2e5fa9899a9f03fbbc13.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.5274c602c59d88bfc811591890252a8d.JPG

An afterthought of the stern problems - I think it all started with the lower row of windows. They were made with way too much curve in them, resulting in having to build the side sections too low so all the windows would line up. I took a picture of one of the pics in the instructions to show you what I mean. The stern fascia is laser cut & the windows are PE brass,so not a lot I could do with it without scratch building the whole thing(not gonna do that with this kit). Don`t know why they made the actual kit parts so different from what`s shown in the instruction manual:huh:.

5b09c81d74cdf_DSCF0001(2).JPG.3582616bd3943533a45c06ff1b9d41d0.JPG

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - a little more progress. The next thing I did was installed the small poop deck.The columns across the front were to be made by cutting the large supplied columns in half,which would be a pain to do and get them all even,so, I used some from my stash that were just the right height. There was nothing at the transom to hold up the aft end of the deck,so I just glued a couple of pieces of wood to the transom to support the deck.

DSCF0001.JPG.05dc5eb41c5fc744ed9c017db20284ee.JPG

Next, I started working on the bow. First thing to do was glue the figurehead in place. It was a bit heavy,so I added a pin at the back of the lion`s head to help hold it. Next was the cheeks & their rails. The cheeks & rails consisted of 2 pieces each & when glued together fit pretty good. They are to be painted black with a yellow stripe down the center - no problem painting them black, but much trouble painting the yellow stripes. So,I decided to use some very thin pinstriping tape instead. The tape was sealed down with 2 coats of clear. Then,the fairings for the hawse holes were glued in place & the holes drilled into the hull.

DSCF0002.JPG.ca16241e683b96ab563bfc523921c111.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.495d7b77a8d1bc6ca6aa1089fd0c08ea.JPG

5b15d3d6eee57_DSCF0001(2).JPG.22d2d302463f9b5a32d38e1d75544675.JPG

Mark 

You are doing a wonderful job mark  a true inspiration to many of us.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone - work on the ship continues(slowly):).  Working on the head rails,I was hoping they would go a little smoother than the stern work - not so.  The upper head rails are pre-cut from 1.5mm plywood & attach to the bottom of the samson posts which are pre-cut from 5mm plywood - glued end to end:huh:. So what I did was make the .8mm brass bar for the trim a bit long to overlap the post for strength,plus I tapered the inside part of the post to make a better transition to the much thinner rail. The plans show using some 1mm brass wire for the trim,but I thought that looked a little cheesy,so I used square brass bar instead. The middle head rail was pretty straightforward & fit where it was supposed to:).  The lower head rail was shown attached to the bottom of the cat davit support knee,but to do so it would fowl the first gunport,plus it would be impossible to bend the 1.5mm plywood to conform to the curve of the hull without breaking it. So instead I fastened it to the rear edge of the samson post/upper head rail assembly.  The rails were painted black,with the yellow pinstriping in the center before glueing in place. After the rails were glued in place,the short pieces were added between the rails. Still need to finish the starboard side,then work on the bow gratings.

DSCF0001.JPG.1bd12986ba6e585bffec92030c605785.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.6defbd5d171cfd36769bc654c5a1e0e0.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.9f2f77f45f8f1ce59c1b1147608c3e94.JPG

Mark

Update - the bow gratings are now done. quite fiddly working out the curvature along with the framework. The bow knightheads have also been added - the plans show it as 10mm thick:o,which I thought was a bit excessive,so I thinned it down somewhat. The holes in the gratings seemed a little large,but being at 1/46 scale maybe not too far off. With that out of the way, I will move on to the deck furnishings. Looks like I need to do a good dusting also:).

DSCF0001.JPG.3509adcf9d6b4974bed1438abc8dd3de.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.56b92a43036fa1f69cfead586cd590d9.JPG

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Thanks Frank - good to hear from you. The kit has some issues(like most kits),but I am trying to work around them. Just found out that the positions of the gunports as built according to the instructions don`t match the plan sheets:angry: - just one more thing to work around. 

Mark

Continuing on........ The gratings & ladders were made up. Small dimples were made in the cannonball racks to keep the cannonballs in place. Back to the bow,the fenders on the upper headrail were installed. They were laser cut items,but the instructions said to cut a line around close to the edge & paint it yellow with blue elsewhere. Well,that wasn`t gonna happen,so I made up some trim pieces from 1/32x1/16 brass bar & glued them around the edge. 4 cleats were also added forward of the fenders on top of the upper headrail. Next,the fenders & ladders at the waist were made up & glued in place. I made the fenders by glueing short sections between the wales,then the long pieces on top of those. The steps were made by glueing 2x2mm strips to 2x6mm strips. After a little shaping,they were painted yellow to match the hull & glued in place.

DSCF0001.JPG.b78a793f076cbe3221e0480eb8b4e068.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.8e66fd47248ec8f207300c9ef8238c9c.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.04a91fe5401504aae0b6ddffd6520a61.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.be278d2dc45336b19042c4b7c7b3c92a.JPG

Mark

Really splendid work.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi Mark, a great build!!!

I'm also building this one, doing the first steps of the gunports atm.

Have you had any thoughts about what to do about the stove? Instructions say to paint the bricks? 

I bought some ceramic bricks that should be in scale and build up the stove with them. Stiff tissue paper as mortar. At least the side that will be visible...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Hi Pucko - thanks!  I haven`t got to the stove yet,but it seems ridiculous that they would want you to "paint" the brick pattern. Micro Mark has some textured heavy paper that simulates bricks,but I think I will go to my local hobby shop & see what they have - they have a LOT of train stuff.  What do you think of the kit?-I am NOT impressed!

Mark

edit - after looking at the instructions,I see that they want you to file grooves in the wood panels,then paint the "bricks" - possible,but would take a lot of fiddly work to make it look good.

Edited by marktiedens

I'm quite satisfied with the kit. I bought some lighter colored strips for the deck, but the rest of my kit has ok quality wood. All the plywood straight.

My first model was from Caldercraft and the wood was so bad it almost ended the hobby for me... And the kits I built from Turkmodel/NCB are far worse. My DeAgostini Vasa is from Artesania Latina and is maybe equal of Nuestra. I'm also building "Terror", Occres latest kit and the that wood is better but the instructions are worse...

But we'll se how I feel when I get to the galleries.... :)

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Glad you like the kit. As I stated in an earlier post the wood in my kit is very bad - all the wood in mine is badly warped. It may have just been a bad batch that they had for mine. Also,the parts that are plywood fall apart when sanding the laser char from the edges. Wow - you have a lot going on - I can only manage to build one at a time.

cheers,Mark