Nuestra Senora del Pilar de Zaragoza by marktiedens - FINISHED - OcCre - scale 1:46

Hi - more progress.  The next thing done was the pinrails - simple enough.  Then I started on the ship`s stove. It was just 3 sides & a base glued together. The instructions say to file grooves in the surface to simulate the mortar & then paint the "bricks". Well,filing grooves in this plywood is impossible to do without the plywood falling apart,so I went to my local hobby shop & found some plastic sheets made to look like scale bricks. The scale of these is 1/48,which is very close to the scale of the model which is 1/46. After cutting them to fit the stove frame & glueing them on,I used the smallest brush I have to paint the mortar lines off white. Lastly,a brass bar was bent to fit around the stove & blackened & glued in place. The front of the stove will not be finished because where it sits under the forecastle deck only the back side can be seen. Not perfect,but I am satisfied with it.

DSCF0001.JPG.642f1bb10cfca2d34a054e0770a5297e.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG.b2184d77e0884aa569ee06ca54f3d102.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.41dc459e63467a3684b1ca5b05fce673.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.ca00f173c3c9ffbdc9926fd3752b4714.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.94d5ecde90b5254beaba3b72d0a9a82f.JPG

Mark 

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

That stove looks good! Maybe I'll try and get one of those sheets as well.

These are the ones I'll try using. 1:48 scale. I'm going to have some problems with the mortar I guess...il_570xN.756063315_himf.jpg.ffa31cec248af34d8d9688d24ea1c834.jpg

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Nuestra Senora del Pilar - Occre

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Santissima Trinidad cross section - Occre

Those bricks are pretty small. Maybe you could use some white wood filler for the mortar - you could glue the bricks on leaving a small gap between them & pack the filler in between the bricks. If  using a water based filler you could just smear it in & wipe over the top with a wet rag to remove the filler from the surface of the bricks before it drys. I just didn`t want to fiddle with glueing all those little bricks on when most of the stove can`t even be seen.   I am now looking at the ship`s bell tower - the picture in the instructions appear to me to show the columns upside down:huh: - what do you think?

Here is a pic of the stove in place-

5b3ceab2ea035_DSCF0001(2).JPG.ea81596cb3992921765fd6b1e22e50cd.JPG

Mark

Yeah, I might have gone a little over the top with the bricks. I'll have a look around for something more like your sheet... Your stove is great!

To me it looks as the columns in the pictures are completely different from those in the kit. The wider square will look better at the base anyway I think... One could maybe remove two sides of the square but I don't believe one would get the same look as in the pictures anyway...

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Thanks Nick:D.

Mr.Pucko - yes,there seem to be a number of things in the kit that don`t quite match what`s in the pictured instructions - the stern fascia windows for instance(way too much curve). Looks to me like maybe they made up the instructions from a prototype build & didn`t try to assemble the model with what`s actually in the kit.

That sheet of bricks I used does have a few defects in it, but back then I doubt if they were perfect anyway:).

Mark

Edited by marktiedens

Hi Mark, I discovered that the gunport lids are 16mm but the gunports are 14mm (same as inner part of gunports)... From the pictures on the box and the instructions it looks like the lids are the same size as the opening... What do you think?

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

I think it`s another case of the parts not matching the pictures:(. I think I will probably cut down the lids to match the openings - I have never seen lids that are larger than the openings. They also do not provide hinges,so I will use some leftover hinges that I have. It looks like they have the lids just glued to the hull in a wide open position. By the way,I found those short columns for the small poop deck - they were mixed in with the belaying pins. I am not installing the gunport lids until after the deck work is done.

Mark

Update - all the rest of the pinrails with their newel posts were made. Issue one - the instructions said to use 5x5mm for the posts. There is no 5x5mm wood in the kit,so I used some 5x5 walnut strips I had for the posts. Issue two - they also said to use 5x5mm wood for the crossbars on the posts next to the masts. Well,the belaying pins are too short to use 5mm thick crossbars,so I used 2x6mm for them,which is what all the other belaying pin racks are. Don`t know why they would want 5mm thick crossbars for those 4 - even at this scale that would be way too thick. The sheaves were made by drilling holes,then filing the area in between with a really small round file.   There are some brass discs in the kit which are probably meant to be used for the sheaves,but I decided not to use them since I don`t have a milling machine to make nice,smooth slots - would probably be hard to see them anyway after running ropes through the holes.  Finally, they were painted red & brass pins were added to the bottom for added strength.

DSCF0002.JPG.b92bdb211e8f542da881098d80e6997b.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.0ae5b99c931363e868e0be12d2bf8f08.JPG

Mark

Did you not have 5x5 left over when you did the deck beams early in the build?

Someone was drunk at Occre at the time they made this kit, even the pictures from the instructions show the 5x5mm pinrails with extra long belaying pins :D

Those brass discs are the gun carriage wheels I think... 

Again, a great build!

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Oh - dummy me,I was looking through the wrong box for the timber:default_wallbash:.  There is actually plenty of 5x5 strips. Anyway,the walnut is much stronger than what they supply.  After looking further ahead in the instructions,those brass discs do indeed seem to be for the gun carriages - thanks for pointing that out.  I will go stand in the corner now............

Mark

Hi again - one thing I forgot to mention about the pinrails - there are 2 of them that go on each side of the ship`s bell that are not mentioned or shown in the written or pictorial instructions.  BUT they are shown on the overhead plan sheet view & the belaying plan,so I added them.  All those pinrails are not glued in place yet - I want to get the guns with carriages done on the second gun deck first while I still have access to them(only the breech ropes will be rigged on them). I can see now that I should have left those gangways at the waist off until those guns were in place:(.

Mark

On 7/4/2018 at 8:51 AM, puckotred said:

That stove looks good! Maybe I'll try and get one of those sheets as well.

These are the ones I'll try using. 1:48 scale. I'm going to have some problems with the mortar I guess...il_570xN.756063315_himf.jpg.ffa31cec248af34d8d9688d24ea1c834.jpg

I was thinking of buying those bricks for the tryworks on my Charles Morgan.  I'd love to hear your thoughts on them!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike

Well, they are small, so small I actually misplaced the whole bag... But quality was good, very uniform in size with no blemishes.... ceramic I think.

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

I was just reading your log and you are doing a great job!

Thanks for showing me how to work :)

At some of the first posts you are saying that this is your last kit from OcCre.

I have build a few kits from OcCre but this is sometimes a search for something that is not there.

For example the belaying pins.

I wrote an to mail to OcCre and the only belaying pins that they have are the plastic ones...

So I ask them why they give us on the part list metal ones and extended.

They don't give me an answer on that.

Also one of the wooden sheets is wrong.

It don't mach with the drawings.....

Beware of that !

So for me this is also the last kit from OcCre for us.

I think I will stay with Caldecraft the next time.

Then I see that you are looking for a popcorn machine.

There in the corner there is a nice place.

Sjors

nootjes_en_popcorn_18.gif

I also got a wrong plywood sheet, or I got two of the same sheet and one sheet missing. I wrote Occre and they sent the missing one within a week.... no problems for me... 

I got a lot of wooden belaying pins with the kit, more than I needed. I think Occre likes me better than you guys.... 😀😀😀

(In the spanish part list it says wooden belaying pins, but in the english one it says metal for some reason...)

Edited by puckotred

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

It’s not a problem to mail OcCre when you have missing parts, they send it right away.

But i was asking about the belaying pins and all i’ve got back the answer.....we are sending you the missing parts and a day later ,we do not send it because you have the plastic (short) ones.

So i have to remake the pinrails......

I’m happy that i have a lot of spare wood from my Aggy.

And Mr. Pucko.....i see that you are from Sweden.

Only nice people lives there 🙃😝

Sjors

Hi Sjors - thanks & welcome to my log!  As you can see, I have changed a number of things about the kit such as the hull planking. My belaying pins are wood,but not long enough to go through the pin racks,so I made the racks thinner☺️. My wood sheets seem to match the drawings,but some parts don`t match the picture instructions or the photos of the finished model🤨. I see that you have taken over the build from your wife - nice of you to continue a great looking build.  I`m working on the gun carriages & just found out that the dummy barrels for the second gun deck don`t match the barrels of the full size guns of that deck - different size & different shape😥. Also,the order of building does not seem logical to me in some places,so I am skipping around a bit.  Thanks for bringing the popcorn - I was getting a bit hungry😊.

Mark

10 hours ago, marktiedens said:

the dummy barrels for the second gun deck don`t match the barrels of the full size guns of that deck - different size & different shape😥.

Well, now I'm starting to get annoyed with Occre... 😡

Mr. Pucko

Building:

Royal Caroline - Panart

Bounty - Occre

Titanic - Amati

Endeavour - AL

Well,anyway,I finished up the guns with carriages for the second gun deck.  I forgot to take pictures of assembling them,but they were pretty simple - just 2 sides,a bottom,& a front piece along with axles & wheels. The axles & wheels were brass,which I blackened. Only the breech ropes were added since it would be near impossible to rig the tackles with the decks in place. The guns on the carriages were actually pretty well made. They were also brass,which I blackened,but I went ahead & painted them flat black because the blackening was a little uneven. The breech ropes are from Syren - great looking rope.  Now I can start putting more "stuff"on the decks.....

DSCF0002.JPG.c0ff007a587425ff73bf2c34676345a6.JPG

DSCF0003.JPG.f82a7d4b13f88b0629b175e2107a8494.JPG

Mark