CSS Virginia by MrBlueJacket - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - scale 1:192 (1/16" = 1')

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done much work in the last two weeks, but made a little progress this past weekend. The instructions show adding strips of heavy paper to various parts.

V1.thumb.jpg.393e519f751816d9d48ee4c743c9723d.jpg

For the armour belting I used 1/32 x 3/16 basswood. Then I shot a quick coat of primer on the model to see how much more sanding I need to do. The even color makes it easier to see irregularities than the bare wood does. Time for a little auto body filler, I'm afraid......

V2.thumb.jpg.f245bb865141e2a1cdf1c3d40cf602aa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After several weeks of other things, I am back to the Virginia again. I decided to laser-cut the gunport lids, and a Google search showed them to be split vertically, with the hinges on the upper outer corner. Note they are only on the ends, not on the broadside.

5ab5044bea726_Screenshot2018-03-23at9_41_37AM.png.8023a9f02dc860bc3649060b9d57ccb0.png

These laser cut lids, and the top gratings, will be added to the kit.

V1.thumb.jpg.d28cbb0bded4b987032fcc1f53933be5.jpg

• 1 month later...

So after a month of not working on the VIrginia, I am back at it. Drilled the holes for all the top fittings and stanchions, masked the grates, installed some parts and the boat mounts, guns are in, and also the eyebolts for the stack supports. Starting to look like something!

virginia.thumb.jpg.4ca4fbb71ff1afaffccd1c0174f45398.jpg

You can see that all the primer/prep work yeilded a nice smooth finish that will take the finish coat of paint nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

So now to install all 61 of the pins that make the rail stanchions. To get them at an even height, I made a jig by reversing a clothespin and cutting the tip down to the length I wanted the stanchions to be. Then it was a simple job to hammer the pins down to that depth. I'm happy with the outcome!

V1.thumb.jpg.896868330620deb8e482b1d9e6fcf97b.jpg

V2.thumb.jpg.148ed4d40e1ca28814883c235e5cef15.jpg

16 hours ago, jhearl said:

This is off-topic, but I'm curious - whatever happened to your build of Wyoming?

Cheers -

John

We never started to build the Wyoming, but it is in our kit development schedule. I expect it to come out in about 1 1/2 to 2 years. It wioll be 1/8" = 1' scale, and be 55 inches long.

Nic

17 hours ago, GrantGoodale said:

I really would love it if other kit manufacturers would try to build the model from the kit. Every so often, I come across something that makes me wonder -  did they actually try to do this?

I was hesitant to start a build thread, since we are a manufacturer. I asked Chuck (admin for MSW) and he said to go ahead, just don't make it a sales pitch. When the Virginia is done, I will be working on the Mary Taylor pilot boat.

4 hours ago, MrBlueJacket said:

We never started to build the Wyoming, but it is in our kit development schedule. I expect it to come out in about 1 1/2 to 2 years. It wioll be 1/8" = 1' scale, and be 55 inches long.

Nic

My bad - I mis-remembered a newsletter last year where you were working on Notman and then there was a picture of Al holding plans for Wyoming. That's going to make one helluva model!

Thanks -

John

• 2 weeks later...

So I am on again with this "on again - off again" project. This past w/e I masked off the upper hull to paint the underside. The Virginia's waterline extends above the flat portion of the deck by 1/8" or so. The masking was a challenge. I used Tamiya 6mm masking tape for the first time, it is really great stuff. Very thin, clings around raised lips, and easy to pull off cleanly.V1.thumb.jpg.553cfe5314d52423b80a6d438dc5e505.jpg

Next comes the blue painters tape to protect the black upperworks of the model. 

V2.thumb.jpg.c10be644b828642119208732d5819e7f.jpg

And after spraying and pulling off the tape (deep suck in of air) a perfect paint line!

V3.thumb.jpg.209e2f42fc094e86a365e4373e0611a8.jpg

Those laser cut grates of basswood looked too clean and white, so I painted a coat of brown on them. I think they look much better now. The last one still needs to be done, but I thought a photo comparing them would be good.

V4.thumb.jpg.44548d24790c488537419a7cf8a45358.jpg

Edited by MrBlueJacket
spelling

Challenge?

003.JPG

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

Nice,

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Found out something my last visit to the Mariners Museum in Hampton, VA. They are restoring the turret and guns, along with other salvaged parts of the USS Monitor. Excellent location for these transition era ships. And an outstanding museum with many ship models.  Anyway, the Monitor could only fire one gun at a time from the turret. And they were afraid to put a full powder charge in each gun for fear of bursting the barrels, so they fired at the Virginia with partial loads.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 2 weeks later...

So this build has been occasionally sidelined by other projects, but progress is made. Here's a shot of the railing and awning rigging completed:

Vrailing.thumb.jpg.feccebf0c1c89b9b80469c7eb3d900f0.jpg

ANd a better view of the stack guywires and steam vent:

Vstack.thumb.jpg.d97afd86864cfe7fb794324627237fdd.jpg

I've also done some work on the lifeboats as you can see:

Vboat.thumb.jpg.763d3dd286ff6b507f11847774d639f5.jpg

And finally, it's close enough to done that I feel OK with raising the flag:

Vflag.thumb.jpg.ab349c3fc019fe19b617c4010762ab3c.jpg

Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me