Hr. Ms. Java 1925 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Cross Roads - 1:350 - Light Cruiser of Roal Netherlands Navy as she was in 1942

Thank you Denis and Carl. Hey Carl, I have never used this holy stone but a lot of polishing compound on airplanes though, does that count??  :D

Okay, we are now at day 44, which brings us to January 29, 2018.

I finally tackled that difficult job, the ship's boats loading and unloading boom. Before cementing the boom to the mast I started with cementing the top most static support cable and the lifting/lowering pulley tackle rig. Then cemented the hook cable from the front of the boom with a piece of silk tread. I'll attach it later to the motor driven winch.

I did not have the PE cable assembly that runs from the end of the boom to the deck. Instead I used two silk threads for this that will be fastened to scratch build eyelets on the deck next to the aft vent pipes. This will be done after the boom is cemented to the deck. 

The PE boom swing tackle and hook will also be cemented on after the boom is secured to the mast. They will be fastened to the same eyelets for the mast side stays.

It was now time to cement the boom to the mast, which proceeded rather well in spite of all these loose pieces of rigging. Next came the task to secure all the loose cables and ropes to their assigned places.

It was now also time to paint everything in medium grey except the cabling is dome in dark grey.

Here I thought this was going to be a real challenge but it went surprisingly rather quick. Next up will be assembling the 4 Bofors. I'll have to kit-bash these because I want to have the barrels pointing skyward attempting tho get the Japanese observation planes but these clever guys kept out of range. 

20180124_101831.thumb.jpg.ed67204ec00e24a09b599faee6d86e2d.jpg

This is a copy from my 1:50 scale scratch build drawing. It shows how everything runs from here to there.

20180129_120046.thumb.jpg.2bb6562eb1c7727354348eecb3c769b0.jpg

This shows the boom cemented to the mast with all the loose rigging.

20180129_180802.thumb.jpg.a0fb4618b136ea0cf1bcc57338c6ed49.jpg

Here the installation is completed and painted.

20180212_114402.thumb.jpg.323a26be762f0ba20f5c5f462414c077.jpg

A bird's eye view of the boat deck.

20180212_114449.thumb.jpg.62e60e2c99838f19ceff851b9e3d1ceb.jpg

A close-up view of the boom and ship's boats.

20180129_180954.thumb.jpg.b3ff3fddea6a4645f4a72a355ade2a8b.jpg

Overall view of the jobs completed in the last few days.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

that's the sad truth about plastic kits.......they leave out so much juicy detail.   what they do add sometimes is incorrect.   there was no such thing as P.E. back when I was heavy into them.  your doing a great job,  putting in that extra pa-zazz ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Lawrence, Denis and John for for your very kind words, it's much appreciated.

Here is a picture for Carl. He was mentioning "holy stoning" the deck, well here are a bunch of Dutch swabbies doing just that.

20180307_111518.thumb.jpg.b4e80d664b87b978d5533559899b85a2.jpg

A copy from my book "Hr. Ms. Hruisers "Java" en "Sumatra" by J. Anten, 2001.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

This post takes us to Day 45, February 18, 2018.

This day I started with the assembly of the four 40 mm twin Bofors anti aircraft guns. Before I show and chat about the actual work I though giving you a little background history about how "Java" acquired these particular guns.

At the end of WW I the British Vickers Company developed a revolutionary new gun that could fire several rounds per second.  The sound of this rapid firing earned this gun the moniker "Pom-Pom." The idea was to lay a cloud of grenades in the air that made it a certainty of hitting an attacking airplane. This was good for that day because the airplanes were slow and flew low. It reminds of the flak idea used during WW II.

England made these gun available to any nation who wanted them. Even the Japanese acquired them for a while for their heavy cruisers Nachi and Haguro.

In 1937 the Royal Dutch Navy also acquired a set of six for the "Java" and "Sumatra," replacing the two 5.7 cm AA guns. The idea of "laying down a curtain of bullets" proved to be ineffective against the modern (for that day, 30s and 40s) aircraft and in 1938 both "Java" and "De Ruyter" replaced the Pom-poms with the 40 mm Bofors L.60 Hazemeyer-twin barrel AA guns. These are three-axis balanced to afford the gun freedom from the ship's movements and a steady aim on the target. They were centrally controlled via an analog "computer" of sorts but could also be independently fire at will. These guns were the state of the art at that time. I will depict my model in the independent controlled state. They could fire two rounds per second.

As good as these guns were there are a few disadvantages as well. !. the central control system. If damaged or failed it became a handicap and the guns must resort to manual control. "De Ruyter" experienced such an event during the battle in the Bali Sea earlier in February of 1942. A piece of shrapnel from a near miss of a Japanese bomb knocked it out.  2. Placing all four of these guns in one central location prevented forward firing due to the placement of the smoke stacks and masts. 3. The placement around the ammo supply tubes. This connected the AA deck with the aft ammunition magazine below it. This proved fatal when the Japanese torpedo hit the magazine. Fire and exploding shells came up the supply tube and caused heavy damage and death of the gun crews. 4. Enterprising attacking aircraft learned to rake the AA deck with great success. 5. With a central control system only one target could be aimed at, which hints at the old "cloud barrage" idea.

So then, having said all that we'll now commence with the build.

First order of business was to assemble all the parts for one gun that I'll use as a prototype. I will omit the shield in front of the gun because none of my photos show this installed on "Java." I will also try to cement the receiver with barrels pointing skyward.

In order to cement the barrels into the receiver I have to drill holes in the respective spots, next to each other.  Measuring the machined end of the gun barrels I selected a #85 drill bit. The problem is that it as way too small for the smallest collet for my pencil drill motor.  My Proxxon drill motor could be used but a little bulky and less control because I have to hold the receiver in my left hand and handle the drill motor with the right. So, I mixed some epoxy cement and dabbed it around the drill shank and let it harden up. I'll later smooth it out some to fit the collet. 

Next I pre-bend the aft railing and the receiver guide

This is all I could do today. Hopefully more tomorrow.

5aa0a407adb0b_ResultaatLuchtafweerdekmet40mmBoforsdubbelloopsmitrailleursvankruiserHr_Ms.Java(1925-1942)_copy.thumb.jpg.364d1c5bcc3cec29615d361a096327da.jpg

The AA gun deck with the four Bofors guns, looking forward. Here you can see the forward firing obstructions of the masts and funnels. This picture shows that the AA gun deck has a railing. The kit instructions show no railing and I'll go with that. It does have a raised side though.

20180124_104859.thumb.jpg.6caf66d45b908a438dd1791e43e871d2.jpg

The specific Bofors twin barrel gun on "Java."

20180131_114319.thumb.jpg.eeaffe19d81d84ffe6fcccde4d8d4377.jpg

A copy of the installation guide for the Bofors gun. #24 not used; #12 manual eye sight; #11 seat/foot rest; #15 crew platform; #16 receiver guide; #17 railing. I'll try to cement the lower railing rod to the edge of the platform.

20180131_115038.thumb.jpg.c3d712a3fe36a7816183ace33b4ed01a.jpg

Here are all pertinent parts laid out. The receiver is still attached to it's mold base and the part below it is the actual base. You can make out where the receiver is to be cemented to. Fortunately I don't have to modify it to cement the gun pointing up. At the ends of each barrel you can see the machined pins that'll be cemented into the receiver. That A looking thingy is the receiver guide that'll be curved. Next to it is the hand crank for moving the receiver up or down, I think. Above the receiver is the seat and footrest. The barrels actually have the recoil springs machined into them, really good.

5aa0a433217fe_Luchtdoelgeschut40mmBoforsdubbelloopsmitrailleursvankruiserHr_Ms.Java(1925-1942)_copy.jpg.bae0c3be700ef0b2936af97cced40430.jpg

The "Java" crew in action during a gun drill. A 5 man crew for each gun. You can see that no shield is used. There usually was a senior non-com or an officer on deck.

20180218_130446.thumb.jpg.58850c2cc23e22ac138b73021588ff80.jpg

My modified drill bit, waiting for the epoxy to harden. A little filing and it should work.

20180218_130555.thumb.jpg.af65fb984730e20e9fbaa9d47e1d47c2.jpg

The pre-bend railing, all the unevenness and wrinkles I'll try to straighten out as much as possible after it's cemented to the platform. This PE is very soft and the slightest touch moves it out of shape. Not easy to work with.

5aa0a463889e8_20180218_130706(1).thumb.jpg.6f6711e424b7e4003f50ab00f17170b1.jpg

The gun-sight.

Cheers,

20180218_130437.jpg

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice details on the gun, interesting info on it too. Thanks for the cleaning picture. Beats the one where there is one holding the swab, another spraying the water and four moving the ship ;) It looks a bit like a road working crew, a few do the hard labour whilst the remainder is looking how they do it ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

nice progress so far Piet......the P.E. guns look great when done.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Carl and Denis for dropping by and your comments. Also my thanks to all who clicked the like button.

Yeah Carl, a typical pick for a photo op. There always was either a non-com or an officers to "supervise" but actually to "motivate" the crew. That reminds me of what my father told us. A couple of Indonesian sailors were painting a part of the hull from a scaffold over the side. He caught them napping so he cut one rope and they fall into the water. Great commotion because most the Indonesians can't swim. So my father threw a life preserver to them.

Today's post is for days 46, 47, 48 and 49 which brings us to February 22, 2018.

After a late start I tried my modified drill bit in my mini drill motor and it worked just fine, almost no wobble. So I commenced drilling the two holes in the gun receiver. I diluted my thick CA to make it less globby and cemented both barrels into the holes.

Next I cemented the crew seats to the platform and it to the plastic base. When the cement had cured I cemented the curved guide to the base and then the receiver with the barrels pointing skyward, scaring the Jap pilots - not. They cleverly stayed out of range.

Day 47: Completed the first Bofors gun by cementing the gun sight to the receiver and the railing to the platform. This pretty much finishes the first gun and is ready for cleaning and paint. I figured to wait with straightening the railing out till after the assembly is painted. The material of the PE is rather soft and delicate, the slightest touch causes a distortion.

Day 48: I was able to complete all four Bofors in the same method as my first one. They are now ready to be cleaned and painted but not today.

Day 49: Cleaned the Bofors with enamel reducer, air dried them and painted with rattle can grey primer.  After the primer had dried I painted all the Bofors with medium grey paint.  Scraped some of the brown deck paint from the AA gun deck for the guns. Instead of using CA I mixed up some two part epoxy cement. I wanted some extra time to position the guns just so. Instead of pointing them all in the same direction I decided in different sections of the sky simulating the guns in individual firing mode. It looks rather sharp this way and I am happy with the results. 

Okay, we are now ready to start work on the 15 cm canons. Not today but tomorrow I hope.

20180218_130618.thumb.jpg.382e348a0dafedb93d4fd48bad9ee2bf.jpg

The gun barrels. At this magnification you can see the details clearly, quite well done.

20180219_103750.thumb.jpg.916d7740197c4f196ae680e05b00c0b5.jpg

The receiver being drilled.

20180218_130652.thumb.jpg.e27b3744695cc18981b723f41e7d1577.jpg

The base. The center U shaped part is where the receiver will be cemented.

5aa312d845595_20180218_130706(2).thumb.jpg.f78603022bef0e0af3b311d133d77cd1.jpg

The gun-sight.

5aa312df2ba81_20180219_113538(1).thumb.jpg.b966462bc6b83e49519c4483eb28e273.jpg

The crew platform and curved gun receiver guide cemented to the base with the rest of the parts to follow.

20180219_164612.thumb.jpg.48e96cd73d5133392e02f06dba67a070.jpg

The proto type Bofors assembled and ready for dressing, cleaning and painting. I'll wait till all four are completed.

20180222_130742.thumb.jpg.e2483dd02328d387a6007ba48137116f.jpg

Four 40 mm Bofors guns. I staged them in different positions for an overall view. The railing is still in need of more adjustments.

20180222_162351.thumb.jpg.1e81987edd78f5345ece786d55770f80.jpg

The Bofors cemented to the AA gun deck

5aa3131386051_20180222_162406(1).thumb.jpg.09667b5065e0da6e3caea2bd697d5a9a.jpg

Overhead view.

5aa3131964957_G_40mm-shell-boxesJavaK.Denlaycopy.jpg.4931b941b4e3b0dc85ec20eb885f0026.jpg

40 mm shell boxes for the Bofors, photographed by Kevin Denlay. As previously explained Kevin is the first diver on Hr. Ms. Java's wreck. This location is on the AA gun deck.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you John and Carl and those who clicked the like button. It's all much appreciated.

This post will cover days 50 and 51, which brings us to February 25.

I'll be working on the 10 15 cm deck guns. As mentioned before they need modifying quite a bit for me to point the barrels up for effective shooting. The whole gun and pedestal are molded in one piece and not usable this way, of course. Problem is that by separating the gun assembly from the pedestal I will destroy the pedestal.

I'll have to make a new pedestal and am using a small piece of 3 mm dowel for it. This'll have to be reduced in diameter and then tapered. A groove in upper end has to be  filed into the small end for the gun to lay in. A small piece of 0.5 mm plywood will serve as base to cement the new gun assembly and the shield to it.

Sounds simple but it is labor intensive.

The first thing then is snip the gun from the pedestal and then snip the barrel off. Next was to remove some metal from the kit supplied brass barrels and drill a hole in the gun receiver end. A dab of CA and push the brass barrel into the gun.

When the cement had cured enough to handle I cemented the gun assembly to the new pedestal.  Next was trying for fit to make sure that the shield would fit and the gun pointing up at about 40 degrees. This fitting process turned out to be a can of worms, holding three loose parts down to the table with one hand and manipulating the gun assembly with the other didn't work to well. I decided to cement the gun shield to the base plate first then I could fit and file the base at my hearts content. I was happy with the end result, the breach stuck out of the end a little and the barrel had a nice angle to it.

All this took care of the two days to get the first gun done. It least now I had a method and can continue with the other nine some other day.

20180311_180611.thumb.jpg.892b8c0dd9bea3d2b75ea9d3e2667f2e.jpg

Eight of the 14.91 cm guns for "Java's" main armament at the "De Schelde" shipyard, probably around November 1923. These Krupp guns were originally meant for the fortress of Ehrenbreitstein near Coblenz., Germany. Photo copy from the book "Hr. Ms. Kruisers "java" en "Sumatra" by J.Anten 

20180222_163414.thumb.jpg.31d331454a56a452aa2f107147240b56.jpg

A detailed drawing of the 15 cm gun.

5aa5d8bf4658e_Kanonexercitie15cm-geschuta_bvanHr_Ms.Java(1925-1942)copy.jpg.4ee8d98c0173024958b99b169053b857.jpg

This shows the amount of men needed for one gun. There usually is a non-com or officer in attendance. The gunner is ramming a grenade into the breach while a sailor is holding a casing with cordite at the ready.

20180222_162805.thumb.jpg.ed81b71819c398dc76e091832de896e3.jpg

A copy from the installation instructions.

20180222_165838.thumb.jpg.a0cf4ae713728db7621894e9f1c9828d.jpg

The particular parts in the kit to make up one gun. Removing the pedestal from the gun did cause damage to one small piece of the mold. This was not a hindrance because it cannot be seen anyhow once assembled. I placed the Exacto #11 blade next to it for size reference. 

20180223_120707.thumb.jpg.4c6ea8169d8f3faea89ed0c912dabfbe.jpg

This is the 3 mm dowel pte-tapered with a groove filed into it. To the right is the 0.5 mm plywood that'll form the base. The bun shield above it.

20180223_120735.thumb.jpg.a3586266fea14db6ac83bb3a7f93f4f5.jpg

The new pedestal loosely placed on the base. The gun ready to loose its barrel. Needles to say that the pedestal needs to be trimmed. I did that after the gun was cemented to it and in further fitting.

20180223_122124.thumb.jpg.a848f4b5260d2cb5af10bcb01b7f6e6e.jpg

The brass barrel ready to be cemented to the gun receiver. Yeah, it looks kinda untidy but must is not visible once the shield sits over it.

20180223_130757.thumb.jpg.5aeb7a60a812221fd46ad11e0907f7e5.jpg

Here is the completed gun sitting on one of the shroud channels of my VOC ship "Surabaya."  Yep, a little dudty but I'll be starting with her as soon as "Java" is completed.

20180223_131513.thumb.jpg.a9d088f124cf7bb23d68cbd8889bd12f.jpg

The completed gun temporarily placed in the #9 position. All the guns will be painted in middle grey when completed before they are cemented to the deck.

20171116_164530.jpg

20180223_120615.jpg

20180223_120839.jpg

20180223_130717.jpg

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks Carl. Yeah, everything is so small to work with and making it look neat is not easy.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice work with the armament Piet :)   lots of really nice extra detail!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The finished 15 cm guns turned out okay, after I cleaned them up and painted them. I was going to post day 52 but thought to interrupt the sequence with something else. All this busy work with the guns reminded me of an event just a few days before "Java" was sunk. I remember my father telling us about a Japanese air attack during an action in the Gaspar Strait on February 14 - 15, 1942.

A formation of Japanese bombers did a bombing run but fortunately they missed, just barely. My father told us about how the captain looked up at the bombers through his binocs and as soon as he saw the bombs released he ordered the helm hard over and full speed ahead.  This was repeated several times till the Japanese finally gave up.

Having searched through the internet in the past years I have been able to find many photos of "Java" and few other ships of the ABDA fleet.  The Australian War Memorial has a collection. The ones available to the public are low res but it's something anyway.

I'll attach two of them below, both taken by the Australian Cruiser HMAS Hobart.

5aa885ea775f6_JavaSea.c.February1942.AformationofJapanesebombersattackingwarshipsintheJavaSeaseenfro-theAustraliancruiserHMASHobart.ArchiveAustralianWarMemorial.jpg.6b802e2d4d65cec2af7dccaf72a450b4.jpg

The attacking aircraft.

5aa885ed06921_JapanseluchtaanvalopHr_Ms.kruiserJavatijdensdeactieindeGasparstratenvan14tot15februari-rschijnlijkgenomenvanafdeAustralischekruiserHMASHobart_copy.jpg.352e82d32201058b627e8d8e067d89b7.jpg

The caption on the photo is in Dutch but here is the translation: "Japanese aerial attack against "Java" during the actions in the Gaspar Strait from 14 to 15 February, taken from the Australian cruiser HMAS Hobart."  It may appear smoke coming from forward of the mast but the shops structure forward of the mast blends in with the smoke from the forward funnel. Yeah, the Japanese were close but no cigar for them that day.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great progress with your guns, Piet.

An interesting storey of the aerial attack on 'Java' that involved 'Hobart'.  'Hobart' was a lucky ship.  She saw extensive action in the Mediterranean prior to the Japanese entry into the war and was unable to participate in the Battle of the Java Sea as she had been refuelling in Tandjong Priok when both she and the refuelling tanker came under heavy aerial bomb attack.  Both she and the tanker suffered splinter damage and 'Hobart' was unable to complete her refuelling, thus missing this disastrous battle.  She survived the war and was paid off into the reserve fleet in 1947.

John

It is a pleasure to follow this build,

A fairly unknown ship
A kit from unknown manufacturer (for me anyway)
And in between a complete story about this ship

Dank u Piet  (Thank you Piet).

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Piet

I'm enjoying following the build and rehearing the history by someone who was there. I have read a number of books about ABDA and that time frame but your personal involvement brings life to the story.

Thanks

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Piet, 

Those guns are looking good especially at that size. Excellent workmanship. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Piet, I'm with Lou on your retelling of this largely forgotten chapter of our common history.

Dank u Piet 

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hello everyone and my thanks to Ken, Lou, Marcus and Ken Canute for visiting and also my thanks to those who clicked the like button.

@ John, yes indeed Hobart was a lucky ship. I read her history as well as the other ships involved.  This led me to the Australian War Memorial to see if they have a few photos of Java in high resolution. There is one I plan to purchase because at the time it was taken my father was on board and may be visible on deck. One never knows, but at least I know he was there. I plan to frame it and hang it in my studio/office.

Yeah Ken Backer, most of the ships that were involved in that part of the world battling the Japanese onslaught in the Far East are not well known. The battles too are not well known. That's why it's called "the forgotten war."  Of all the people in the world here is a fellow in St. Petersburg, Russia, who took a great interest in the battles for British Malaysia and the Dutch East Indies. He set out to produce and market 1:350 scale models of all the ships involved. He is dedicating his efforts to all the men who fought in those battles.

Thanks Lou for following.  I have done the same thing when building the O19. The things I can remember about my father's exploits during his service for Queen and Country makes the build very personal. It jars my memory banks too, which is good exercise for my poor 84 year old grey matter. 

Hey Marcus, thank you. Yes, it's "pieter-peuterig werk" :huh:

And to Ken, instead of the usual response to "thank you" as "you're welcome" I'll say it as the Dutch do "graag gedaan" that translates as "delighted to do so."

Right now I am in a dilemma. I have a photo taken by Kevin Denlay of the #10 gun but he asked me not to show it to anyone other then my direct family.  I would very much like to show it because that was as close to my father's battle station I can get on the wreck. This gun is a real mess and at the forward end of the separated stern section.  The plan is to make a rough painted sketch of the photo. Reason Kevin doesn't want it to be made public is the quality of the picture. I respect him for that, even though the wreck has been removed from the sea floor.  So give me some time to make the sketch and show you all. 

Oh yeah, Kevin Denlay is the first diver who went down to the wreck when it was found and he and I have had quite a few discussions about it.

The next post will be coming shortly. I have been much too busy with other things. The interesting parts are yet to come.

Cheers,   

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

I'm feeling for you on these builds that are so personal to you but I do appreciate and offer thanks for that sharing.  It puts faces and names with these ships and perhaps makes the history more personal for us also.  I agree, the war in the Pacific is mostly "the forgotten war" with some exceptions. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I read somewhere that the folks doing 1:700 may be seeing some of these ships in plastic in the next year or so.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Mark, I appreciate your comment more then you may realize. My hurt and anger is a thing of the past and so is my hatred for the Japanese. I do treasure the memories I have from the good times I have with my father. Besides, I carry a part of him within my body and mind through the genes he shared at my conception.

Wow Ken, scale 1:700?  Even with the delicate PE for scale 1:350 giving me some problems I can imagine how difficult this tiny scale would be. To me - it's the detail that counts and at 1:700 some or most will not be feasible.  After I completed the model of my father's submarine, the O19, my wife asked me if I was going to build the 1:50 scale "Java." Well, at that time i was not too keen in doing so for several reasons. This small model is good enough for me, it has really good detail on it and is a visible reminder. No - - - I would rather build the model of Gwen's father's ship he made captain on. Yeah, it's on my bucket list and perhaps I can start on it and work on it together with the VOC ship that's in progress. Who knows.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

My thanks of course to those who clicked the like button.

This post is for Day 53, which takes us to March 5, 2018.

No actual work was done on the ship this day. I needed to think about how to place the 15 cm guns. In order to know how both the Japanese flotillas and the ABDA fleet were situated in the afternoon of February 27 I reread the documentation by Jeffrey Cox in his excellent book "Rising Sun, Falling Skies . . ." and found on pages 288 through 291 with the course map of all flotillas on page 289. There seem to have been only a few opportunities for the ABDA strike force to have come into range for Admiral Doorman's 6 inch guns, as Jeffrey Cox states.  Okay then, that will be the moment of my diorama display, a westerly course. This means that "Java" was firing from her starboard side.

There were actually three Japanese flotillas, each consisting of heavy cruisers with their destroyer escorts. The two Japanese cruisers of interest are the heavy cruisers Haguro and her sister ship Nachi. It was the Nachi who fired the fatal torpedo that struck Hr. Ms. Java that night.

So then, I hope to be able to create realistic enough gun smoke effects from "Java's" starboard side and two splashes Japanese shells nearby. Well, at least that's the plan I have in mind.

The photos I'll attach below are the temporary placement of the completed 15 cm guns on the port side. The model just happen to sit that way on the table. I decided to hold off on cementing the guns to the deck until I ave installed all the railings and propeller guards. There is still some handling of the model till I can place her in the diorama sea. 

20180226_161523.thumb.jpg.97223ac61133707913a28217d139e4f4.jpg

All ten of the completed 15 cm guns in a row, ready to be dressed, cleaned and painted.

20180226_161738.thumb.jpg.b55e180e6e7b8f4c0abfaba7f896a663.jpg

Another view of the guns.

20180226_163028.thumb.jpg.9136a86666dfbec3435597fb97292f1b.jpg

Closeup of a 15 cm gun on my left index finger, still in need of dressing, cleaning and paint.

20180226_175021.thumb.jpg.1f9fc75b37bbfc5f961fe8a8aa231b0e.jpg

seven of the 10 15 cm guns temporarily placed on the ship's port side.

20180226_175056.thumb.jpg.90e57a55b2cbb891952089f6ef4b8848.jpg

Another view.

20180226_175121.thumb.jpg.d5b52f4820b77c9d5c5749d8cb9eeb0c.jpg

A closeup of port side.

5aab285e07d91_Unused(i.e.liveunexploded)5.9inch_150mmprojectileslayingagainstabulkheadontheDutchcrui-diteinsidethebrassshellcasingsloadedwiththeprojectilesprior.jpg.7c61ad791faa38eb90f5762d2f4d4112.jpg

One of Kevin Denlay's photos showing live shells with cordite

5aab2861c4283_java-guncopy.jpg.ceb25be4fe8e21923d2113e33a3ad9ed.jpg

A frontal view of one of the 15 cm guns.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

coming along nicely Piet :)   armament looks really good.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work Piet,

That is a difficult scale and you`re doing well with it....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thank you Denis and Nils for your visit and comments. Also to those who clicked the like button, thanks.

Yes Nils, this scale has been a challenge, mainly due to the very delicate PE. I'm not afraid working at a small scale but this PE stuff is difficult.

Here is another photo of "Java" taken from the Australian cruiser "Hobart." This was most likely in Lampung Bay on February 14, 1942, one day before the action in the Gaspar Straits. (From the collection of J.A.Dorlas).

20180315_211923.thumb.jpg.675414aca5213d2dc1feb64c90b1b08f.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank you Lawrence for visiting and your kind words. Also my thanks to all who clicked the like button,

This post is for days 54, 55 56 and 57, which brings us to March 12.

All these days involve mainly the installation of all the deck railings with some associated items.

Day 54 on March 6 I planned on cementing the stern deck railing but needed to think about it a little first. You see, the PE parts are made to fit between the aft main deck gun platform and the depth charge launching ramps at the fantail. Here then is my dilemma, None of my photos of "Java" show these ramps, nor the flagpole at the fantail. I already looked for a longer PE railing I can use to close the fantail. But then I thought, why not cement the railing meant for it and add a simulated cable type addition as I have seen on a few photos. These railings are foldable anyway so my thinking makes sense. 

I need to do some more thinking on it.

That brought my attention to the bow railing but before I can install any railing i needed to install the refueling rig on the main deck. It would otherwise make it too difficult to do. I needed to drill a small hole in the deck for the supplied brass rod where the PY support rigging is to be attached to. In reality this is quite a complicated rig but at this scale Boris did a real nice job simulating it. A shame that it kinda gets lost due it's small size.

Day 55 on March 9, I started to cement the forward railing. I started at the bow first with a small dab of cement and let it harden, then slowly bending the railing following the curve of the bow and tack cemented it as I went along to the end of that railing. Next I followed through with the thin CA along the bottom of the railing. I used the same method for all the railings, which proved to be working real fine for me. At least I had no damage to the railing. 

I also cemented the small flagpole against the forward side of the AA gun deck rangefinder house.

Now the flag. Boris supplied two small decals with the kit but can't use them as a flag - - - or can I?  So okay I tried and soaked the decal in some water and slid it off the paper, folded it around the flagpole and bingo I had the flag. Problem is that it's just too delicate and I can't make the flag wave in the breeze. So I gently brushed some thin CA on it, let it harden a little and then made a few folds in it. As long as nobody touches it it'll be fine.

Days 56 and 57 were occupied with cemented the rest of the railings to the ship. The # 9 gun deck was a little difficult due to the ladders going up. I had to improvise with some spare longer pieces because of the gaps for the ladders but in the end it worked out just fine. Next was painting them following the camouflage scheme on the hull.

I'm rather pleased with the railings. Below are a few pics of the railing project. The next installment will show more on how they look.

20180309_151629.thumb.jpg.f5789f825b0803c02b02dc62fdfdf310.jpg

20180309_151610.thumb.jpg.969ede5e61d8df19e01b1143ec06b42b.jpg

20180315_102703.thumb.jpg.b63fc6605b0a916fc0f3f845413ec015.jpg

20180315_102736.thumb.jpg.8e388d120e72923b6a511ee63e21870a.jpg

20180315_102725.thumb.jpg.c558c09ae6aa8ed705777cb8cc257554.jpg

20180315_123008.thumb.jpg.a08263c1869dec67a85abc82b58013f3.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all and thanks to those who visited and clicked the like button.

This post is for Day 58, which brings us to March 16, 2018.

This day I cemented all ten 15 cm guns to the model as I perceived them to be positioned.

I also cemented the 4 paravanes to the locations as shown on several photos.

Today's work didn't take much time so I also started to assemble the two propeller guards.

I have attached a bunch of pictures of this day's progress.

20180316_174727.thumb.jpg.04968bc009770e0791a0bca9610f993c.jpg

The number 10 gun that holds special interest to me. More about that in a future post. Yep, also some paint tough-ups.

5ab02c066cd85_20180316_174706(2).thumb.jpg.f33b230576301150be5b4231f855f03c.jpg

A close-up of the number 10 gun. The light overhead puts a lot of shimmering on the uneven glue spots.

20180316_174517.thumb.jpg.57977888df03004776c87c497ac1dd3f.jpg

The Dutch National flag made from a decal. I may remake it from thin paper. The Bofors gun in the left back will be repaired. Accidentally hit it when handling the model.

20180316_123947.thumb.jpg.24254247a44e32cfc3bd6131d7203f9b.jpg

All four paravanes cemented to the deck.

5ab02c2c37b59_ParavaneaanboordvanHr_Ms.kruiserJava(1925-1942)copy.thumb.jpg.3560762c2d4082b17828c3cc00de38a1.jpg

An actual photograph of a paravane. I painted mine in light grey.

20180307_111845.thumb.jpg.0f87d45742262e232c637fd05d0ffa0e.jpg

Another actual photograph of the crew handling a paravane.

5ab02c4552758_ThetailfinsonapairofparavaneslyingontheseabedamidshipsDenlay_hjava.jpg.d0af908c372b00a87dc6a121c1469782.jpg

This is a photo Kevin Denlay took, showing the tail fins of a paravane, on one of his dives on the wreck. He stated that tihs one was on the sea floor amidships.

20180316_174454.thumb.jpg.343556090a1227ca489da6385f5f2064.jpg

Overhead shot of the model howing all 10 guns cemented to "Java."

20180316_174345.thumb.jpg.ebc679174bf2a50cc1d1b6a1ba9d7b77.jpg

Another overhead shot.

20180316_165246.thumb.jpg.850c161a727770349cd33af9253ca0ff.jpg

The two parts for the propeller guards being cemented together.

20180316_173528.thumb.jpg.c5fb159d8a173e4f2246b56f26ad7b63.jpg

The completed propeller guards ready for dressing. This job was like shoving two wet noodles together.

Cheers,

20180316_174642.jpg

20180316_174445.jpg

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra