Hr. Ms. Java 1925 by Piet - FINISHED - Pacific Cross Roads - 1:350 - PLASTIC - Light Cruiser of Royal Netherlands Navy as she was in 1942

wonderful work Piet,

I know its not easy to model gunsmoke and ships wake, but here you have brought fine action into the scene, well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Great work, Piet, especially your bow waves. The water looks very realistic. Something I need to learn how to do this as well. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Good evening everyone and thanks to all for your very encouraging comments, so very much appreciated.  Also thanks to all who clicked the like button.

Yes, Lou, I looked at steel wool but the cotton was finer and easier to work with. I think I have come up with a method I think will produce a more realistic smoke.  I wish you good luck with your wife's Titanic, not an easy scale but you'll do okay with it, I'm sure.

Hey Mark, good seeing you here again. Yup, I looked into the model railroaders but not much on gunsmoke, just chimney smoke using cotton. Looks good at viewing distance.

Hello OC, yes, I looked at those marvelous dioramas of aircraft and tanks exploding, a hard act to follow, especially at my scale of 1:350.

Thank you Jud for your very helpful info, looks like you have naval gunnery experience, like Amateur Jan with field artillery.  Now that you mentioned the Japanese used die marker shells I did read about that in the several books I have on the Battle in the Java Sea.  Hmmm, food for though adding some red in one and yellow in the other. I could still make the splashes a little higher too.  All I plan to do with the gun flashes is some red and perhaps light yellow coming out of the barrel.

Yes, they had a fire control system for distance, direction and elevation. As far as I can determine from reading about the actions there were no broadsides.  The photo I posted of "Java" with a broadside was the contest winner's "hurray."

Thank you Nils and no, it's rather difficult depicting smoke at this scale but I tried something yesterday and I may be on the right track with that.

Thank you Marcus for you kudos. Back from Holland? How was your mother's birthday? All's well over there?

Hi John, good to see you again and thanks for your approvals.

Hello Lawrence, thank you as well. I think I lucked out with the bow waves, I'm still tweaking them as we speak. After I walk away from it for a day or so and scrutinize it again I find little things to work on.

Well, no matter what spray gun I use, the paint still seems to make the cotton smoke look unrealistic enough to keep trying.  This morning I started to pull one of the pre painted funnel smoke pieces apart and made an irregular ball from it.  This seems to come closer to what I think the cordite smoke could look. I have temporarily put them on wooden pins that I cemented to the barrels.  These pins serve as the support as well as painting the gun flash on them.  When I get additional input from the experts, when I get a yay I can cement them to the wooden pins and shape them into some realistic form.

Working with these fluffy balls without support doesn't work too well.

Below I post a few pics I took this morning before my dental appointment.

20180530_124708.thumb.jpg.3c3677b05c9839b1c2c28ba6d3149080.jpg

The light above the workbench made the dark grey of the smoke kinda washed out.  The intend is for constructive criticism as far as form and shape. The one on the left still needs a redo.

20180530_124612.thumb.jpg.2c4476f326be4d5711deb4e3cffd1770.jpg

20180530_124642.thumb.jpg.e0630655b52f549ab49dfa27588db942.jpg

Hmmm, the overhead light did cast a nice shadow though.

Next is the funnel smoke.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet

I am kind of partial to the shape and density of the furthest forward gun. In several of your pictures the light makes it look almost translucent, almost as if you can see the gun through the smoke. In those same pictures the other guns look more dense as if they have fired slightly later and the smoke is more condensed. You could use the same effect if you can make less dense balls on purpose to even have other puffs of smoke that are behind the guns as if the have fired and at 30 knots or more have moved out from behind the last shot's smoke. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Might try a three color smoke, fresh shot with an orange glowing flash, avoiding the bore shape, it mushroomed and billowed inside the smoke, some off white around and then broken sections of dirty white, bleeding aft, amount of drift depending on the amount of or absence of flash. There was some Flashless Powder for nite time use, even in the 60's when I was a Gunners mate in an 8" turret we never used it in training.

5b0f977036281_DIRECTFROMCEARCLICK209.1.thumb.jpg.0aabaaecd8faa0a577b56f5518a1aa6d.jpg

PICT0022.1.thumb.jpg.825839e0a20b9b17e73268d0fdee49c3.jpg

very hard to do Piet.......very nice progress though  :)   the diorama is looking really good....your improvements made a big difference.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Piet,

I kinda held my breath when you were laying resin around the hull with the plastic wrap covering the hull. I would have ended up with a vessel being mothballed before being scrapped. All very nicely done like the way you attacked the problems Kudos:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Thanks again for the input gents, VERY much appreciated.

I like your suggestions Jud. I'll give it a bloody go tomorrow. Don't know if I can come close to what I think you have seen in real life.  The only smoke I have seen is when a R-2800 fires up :P

Hmmm, orange glow inside, light grey and whitish things, sounds really nice but executing it is a whole other thing.

Handsome young man you were, um - - - sorry - are, with a very handsome ship.

Between some other chores I have been fiddling with the funnel smoke and getting somewhere with it. A few more tweaks I think.

Well, back to the workbench with some more tweaking on the gunsmoke. 

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Tweakin' Pie ... so far your tweaking has resulted in some great improvements ... I wonder if you will be able to improve on yerself yet again .... a very interesting build it has become ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Everyone, and thanks for visiting Carl and Greg and your very kind comments.  Also my thanks to all who clicked the like button.

I know, it's kinda late for me to be posting a progress report but I just showed Gwen the pics I made this morning. I tweaked some more and mixed some red and yellow paint to put inside the smoke clouds - thanks to Jud's comment.  Gwen really liked the results, even when looking at the model from all angles.  Her reaction was "life like, like it's real."  Coming from her, Mrs. critical observer, is a real compliment.

I haven't glued the smoke to their supports yet so pending on a thumbs up from all of youns I can finally proceed in gluing then down so I can complete with sculpting the smoke a little better. Right now that's practically impossible because they rotate and tend to droop.

This sure was a long and trying process I must say but in the end it didn't come out too shabby.  I also added a few more vertical water spouts on the missed 8 inch shell bursts and the dye.

The sea was an experiment for me, never done one before.  I read a lot about the how to's but in the end I went with what was available in the local HobbyLoggy. The material for the waves didn't really satisfy my that much.  I didn't do what the instructions promised it is expected to do but in the end, only thanks to a rater calm sea, it worked out okay. 

In retrospect, I should have used some very thin plastic, like the stuff used in packaging LED lamps, for the bow wave as support. This would have saved me a lot of trouble in trying to make them thin enough and not to droop.  However, they came out okay in the long run.

I may do some more tweaking here and there like adding some more very light green in areas where the sea becomes transparent, but that'll be for later, if at all.

This coming week I plan to call a plastics place, www.eplastics.com for material to build the enclosure.  I may also ask them for a price for the O19 enclosure. I may have mentioned on my O19 build log that I planned to make it with a rounded top rather then square.  

Okay, here is "Jave" as of this morning.

20180603_133035.thumb.jpg.b6ba462c32f2025728311d77f65b1114.jpg

20180603_133119.thumb.jpg.0792280e2c5fe4b756a8d830617514ec.jpg

5b14ae9b30ca6_20180603_133245(1).thumb.jpg.b0550fa2c780c0cd911fd5f2f733a9bd.jpg

20180603_133245.thumb.jpg.d9be8379c537eab88cc63d6b3207e043.jpg

20180603_135927.thumb.jpg.f0b42dd36f4b192b76a2dbdb04e387b5.jpg

Cheers,

20180603_133323.jpg

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Holy smokes! (No pun intended) That looks really great- reminds me of the famous picture looking down on the USS Iowa firing a broadside. I agree with your wife- very life like. Nice work!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

By Jove, I think you've got it!!! Looks super, Piet.   My vote is you_rock-1295.gif.e5d61a8118853a7d24e7141551bbf5da.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm with Mark

I think you have more than achieved your goal She looks very much the fighting lady making the enemy work and worry. I am very glad you were able to fulfill your dream, and thanks for sharing your vision.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Stunning work Piet !

that approach bow-view with wake, smoke is fantastic ! well done.....:)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Piet

I’m catching up...again.  Boy. Oh boy, what a top job you’ve done.  I’ve read everyone’s suggestions, hints and tips with much interest; hoping that one day I could emulate what you’ve done.

Having said that, I’m just reflecting on the original reason for doing the model, which was to honour and memorialise your father’s memory.  Without a doubt, Piet, you’ve done him real proud!

Congratulations, Piet.  She’s a beautiful ship.

Cheers. 

Patrick

Piet, your work is stunning. A very fitting memorial to your father, his ship and the gallant crew. A double thumbs up!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

You got it enough said:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

I don't even know what to say, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hello everyone and wow, I'm overwhelmed by all your kind words, thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  I am very happy to hear your endorsement for me to go ahead and permanently secure the smoke.  I still need to slant them athwart a little to indicate her 29 knot speed. No Jan, there will be no more tweaking, I'm tweaked out :rolleyes:  Even though my father hated this tired old rust bucket, this project is not only for him but for all who lost their lives in this struggle. Thanks to one survivor I now I also know how my father died and I have a grave marker too.

Now I'll have to contact the plastic place and see what they can do for me and at what cost.  I'll make a place for the diorama above my drawing table, next to the O19.  When its all done I'll report back with all of you with my final words and pictures.  So, don't go too far away now and forget me, I'll be back.  It's not finished till it's finished.

My next project is getting back to the VOC ship Surabaya and my attempt to the 1:3,000 scale Young America.  But first I have to complete two or three paintings to submit to the International Colored Pencil Society of America.  Gwen has also been asking for me to cook dinner more often, so that'll be coming up soon.  She has been very patient and encouraging, knowing how much this model means to me.  I also want to start baking sour dough bread for health reasons and then there is always the outside work to be done.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

5 minutes ago, Piet said:

I also want to start baking sour dough bread for health reasons and then there is always the outside work to be done.

Wow, sounds like me! We love making sourdough bread, and there IS always outside work to be done!

As for the model, I think all the praise is well deserved, and it’s such a meaningful way to honor the memory of your father. Well done :) 

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Piet,   Superb in every way,     you have made history and woken spirits looking  down on you,   you should be so proud of what you have done.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

nailed it!    love the added color.     well done Piet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch