HMS Bounty by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/48

Thanks Yves, and everyone for the thumbs. Just about finished diagram 5 of the 21 Bounty rigging plans. Drawings are ok except for a few educated guesses that need to be made, and a few errors in numbering. Made a little more tedious by the fact there was no dark thread provided in the kit except for one small spool of 0.8mm brown that ran out immediately, so I’ve had to stain the natural stuff as I go along. Managed a fairly even taughtness of all the lines so far without any of the back stays in place yet, which is a good sign. 

151C9197-0161-45B8-B224-6223D13F24BA.jpeg

7330F53E-C971-4EF7-976E-5E2872050A71.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

So that’s it for the fixed rigging -  next step is the running rigging and sails, so I’ll have to head back to the wood shop, fire up the drill press and finish fashioning all the yards and attachments. 220DC299-E857-4C14-852E-29EAB43BA4AA.thumb.jpeg.1240954d4f6efc1e2399fae54d701f87.jpeg2D5CBB50-F701-47E8-9AC7-E4964144D890.thumb.jpeg.eae218fafc01b9d65f88e0857bd0d355.jpeg

99512313-ECCD-4643-B481-26C29F7EE623.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Thanks Mark. Yes been pushing the Bounty onwards, in the groove on completing the rigging. Looking forward to seeing your Victory work when you are able to get back at it.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

A lovely build Tim,

your Bounty model will surely be a great eyecatcher here on the sight......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks Nils - much appreciated coming from an accomplished scratch builder; and likewise to all for the likes. 
Im currently splicing together pieces of walnut from the remains of old completed kits to make up some of the Bounty spars as there were a few pieces of dowel missing from my kit. Knew I saved all those bits and pieces for a reason.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the yards. The hoops for attaching the booms to the lower yards in the kit were unusable, so am fashioning something from slices of aluminium tube, brass wire and a dab of Ca. Should look acceptable all painted up with gunmetal. 

67C89F68-5D51-4CFB-B77F-E043A9E368D6.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Beautiful model 👍

Greetings,

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Patrick and Sam for the kind comments.

The first two yards have been hoisted in place, using the parrels and without need for any temporary pinning. Man there is a ton of rigging on this puppy. Ropes everywhere.

Nice to have such a great hobby for these strange days. 

EC159979-19EC-4CD0-AE1A-F1007BC2F9C6.jpeg

70015A49-2FBA-447D-8725-E31075C5BBCD.jpeg

6C718728-0EC7-4A8F-B239-2A2869CBD4A2.jpeg

37E1926B-85EF-4B8E-86AD-E05843F61C18.jpeg

9A579916-646C-491B-B3C4-04C4B04B77F3.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Yes my plan at the moment is to do sails, unless it ends up looking too cluttered.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

The lower yard on the foremast showing scope of all the gear that must be attached. This isn’t quite finished yet, still needs the foot ropes and parrel assembly and some final tidying up.

F6595CAA-9000-48EB-AFBE-0DEFF363D7E3.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Really work to a high standard. Had my eye on this kit many years ago but others took priority. 

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

1 hour ago, Cankita said:

How have you attached the blocks? It looks like wire rather than thread, can't see any knots.

Hi. I just use thread. My block tying routine (illustrated below) is:

1. Rub thread with beeswax
2. loop around block and tie knot at bottom

3. stick the block in vice and twirl thread a few times if you need the block to stand off yard or mast. Rub a drop of glue on thread to fix it.

4. tie the open ends of thread around yard or mast, fix with glue and trim

955EB606-5586-4ED1-8C17-37D750927EFE.jpeg

B76A52E8-423F-4FFB-9FAA-5FD8D383433F.jpeg

C49FB4AB-7B0B-4FE1-A94E-944C44F017FF.jpeg

F44B10AB-51F6-4D98-B04F-BC72F1CFCD36.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Hi Tim,

I have been following your log very closely as I have this same kit cued up and ready to start soon.

Beautiful work! I hope to duplicate your work and maybe even get lucky enough to make some weathering improvements too!

On your post above you stated that you rubbed glue on the thread prior to twisting it. What glue did you use?

On my last build I used CA glue with good results but with the larger scale I'm thinking that won't work as well.

Appreciate your answer.

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

20 hours ago, LyleK1 said:

Hi Tim,

I have been following your log very closely as I have this same kit cued up and ready to start soon.

Beautiful work! I hope to duplicate your work and maybe even get lucky enough to make some weathering improvements too!

On your post above you stated that you rubbed glue on the thread prior to twisting it. What glue did you use?

On my last build I used CA glue with good results but with the larger scale I'm thinking that won't work as well.

Appreciate your answer.

Thanks! I use CA, find it’s very effective tool, faster and less messy if used sparingly. I find the carpenters glue tends to leave more residue but do use that sometimes.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Lower foremast yard is hoisted. Messed up the chain (actually rope) length slightly as it’s a complicated loop assembly that had to be pre made. The end result is just that the lanyards between loops are a bit short. I’ll get the mainmast right, decide whether to fix this later.

55BFA00B-EE90-455B-8ED7-AC3DE93FFC60.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Hi Yves, yes that is the Billing’s Calypso up there... good eye.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 5 months later...

Hi Tim,

I'm new to this forum but I sure wish I'd come across this website a long time ago, especially your log.  I bought the exact model like yours of The Bounty in 2008 and have been working on and off on it ever since (very slowly obviously, but only in my spare time).  In 2018 I finished the main body (photograph 47 in the booklet), and then nothing happened for the next two years.  Then the pandemic struck the world and I suddenly sat without any work.  I started on the model again in April of this year and have done the whole body (including the interior) since then.

Then, as you well know, and commented in your log, came to the end of the manual without any further instructions.  I was so frustrated I started doing some research on the internet.  That's where I came across this website and especially your very beautiful model.  It is such a pity that I've progressed so far before I saw the color scheme you used on your model, as well as the changes you have made to the A.L model.  Mine looks like a freight ship with all the paraphernalia that I have stuffed into the interior!  So it is in no way as accurate as your model, but I still had a lot of fun doing it...

Thank you for inspiring me to new heights.  Your photographs of the masts are helping me tremendously.

Kind regards,

Reneke

Hi Reneke - thank you for the kind remarks! Hope the rest of the build is satisfying. I’ve been immersed in a couple of building projects for many months so the Bounty has been waiting patiently for me to finish her. I converted our garage into a studio where I could work on ship modeling a few years ago, but my wife’s pottery business has really taken off so she now needs the whole space. I am presently building my own workshop on our property and as soon as it’s done I’ll be back in business. Should be back at work on Bounty before winter In my new space and will resume my log to completion. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Hi Reneke sorry for delay in responding...yes I definitely have a fix having needed to do it myself earlier in this build. Rather than go to all the trouble of sanding and refinishing I just mixed some of my ebony and chestnut stains with the varnish until I got the darker tone I wanted and put on another coat. It worked well.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 3 weeks later...

Tim,

Very impressive work! Can't wait to see the finished product. As I stated in my post in March, I had this queued up... I started it on 9-13-20 and am well underway. I am doing things a bit different in that I am looking for the "weathered or used" look and with the opportunity for some kit bashing, I am making the interior a little more filled out.

I've attached a couple of pictures...  The lower decks "weathered" and installed, and a prototype to the lanterns I am building to light up the interior some. They still need a little refinement. Especially, the handle. It's a bit out of scale but I'm close!

Thanks for keeping me inspired and help when I get stuck!

IMG_4133.jpg.03db37caa651f6b06a4499e86a88f169.jpg

IMG_4136.jpg.ab687c7668c4a3636b41cc8a88389b01.jpgIMG_4137.jpg.31921bee770f8f2be8297eabf3d6be1e.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

Lyle

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

A Scratch build -TBD

• 1 month later...

Ok after a long hiatus working on various construction projects I’m about to start up again finishing the Bounty here in my new cabin. First step is to figure out exactly where I left off and get back up to speed on the final rigging. And find myself a chair. 

7098A8A2-E96B-44DA-A4CE-3E05558EFBE0.jpeg

27F27C1D-0C49-4EFD-8A0A-DA788D5A3478.jpeg

84698520-FE7E-48E5-9609-4943DCAB434F.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Welcome back!

Looking forward to seeing some updates.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD