HMS Bounty by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/48

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Yves, yes the Fifie is on deck, been doing some research into these class of boats just to settle on a colour scheme for it.  Slight delay while I finished off a new coffee table for the living room...which is now done.  I’ve decided to first do a Guillows 403 Spitfire model which my son had given it to me for my birthday last Christmas, for something different around the holidays. Think I built one of these about 50 years ago! Kit is slightly different now with all the frames beautifully laser cut as opposed to having to cut them out from a printed sheet. So fragile as compared to boat modeling material, will have to take care and not be too ham fisted with my work. Isn’t too complicated so shouldn’t take long. Just a display model to hang in here I think. Vaguely recall destroying the last one in a rubber power misadventure. Think I will upgrade it a bit - cover with balsa as opposed to tissue, and hope I can find some upgrades for a proper propeller and wheels etc.. if anybody has done this and happens to know a source for this please do pass on. 

D84F3A05-BD2F-4A92-B4F0-F53E847541E9.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Thanks Yves...yes so fragile. Possibly insane but this is how I decided to cover the fuselage in order to retain the right proportions.....use the framework as a basic form and then fill with balsa I had left over from my Miss Severn. Seems like a lot of work but really after a thousand ratline knots on the Bounty it’s really nothing to write home about. My plan is to use a light skim of body filler over the lot and then lightly sand everything to a final form. I’d like to use this side project to hone my paint skills for my next boat model - maybe invest in an airbrush and all that paraphernalia if it is worth it - something Ive never tried and know nothing about.

C44EC395-DB50-4D99-A36A-3CC6C85C4A20.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

• 4 weeks later...

Back on the Bounty in the winter shipyard - just a few yards left to rig up then I can launch her and get started on a Moore presentation of Fifie which I’m keen to get going on. The new workshop is working great, really good light for working and good music setup in here.

I really wonder how people without hobbies like ours are managing their sanity in this pandemic.

3E44365A-4B5A-498C-B99A-A24258A0FF7D.jpeg

B777B4B2-62B2-44DD-8810-4A92F4CE7FCB.jpeg

7CB496D1-7A69-4D6F-B666-4EEF8162EEF8.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Hi Tim,

I've been following along with your build.  It's looking great!  I have this kit in my stash and I'm working my way up to building it.  I hope I can do half as good.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

Great work and nice view outside.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The main yard on the Bounty is almost a model unto itself with all the fiddly attachments. Just about ready to hang from the mainmast now. 
Checking the parts list I am now at number 709 out of 856. Much of the remainder is running rigging for the sails, which I’m not sure yet I will install or not. Concerned it may look a little cluttered with them. I’ll perhaps install the first couple after I finish the yards and associated lines and see how I feel about it.

D12402FE-4FC0-4A5C-9A07-7A27485D02FA.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

On 1/15/2021 at 2:18 PM, Jeffb said:

Hi Tim,

I've been following along with your build.  It's looking great!  I have this kit in my stash and I'm working my way up to building it.  I hope I can do half as good.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff...really nice work you are doing on the Lively, Standout colour scheme and some fine details. I notice you are also doing a plane or two - I’m concurrently building a wood spitfire which is a nice contrast from the Bounty work.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Executing the concurrent installation of the parrel assembly, chains and loop rigging necessary to connect the main yard to the mast is a bit complicated. Possibly the point where a % of model shipbuilders go mad and think, hey she looks pretty good without all these stupid ropes all over the place, maybe I’ll call it a day.

2922A206-F5AA-4FA7-9F0B-24C40F735E1C.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Nice work, Tim.

The rigging is always so tedious... but if done correctly (like you are doing) it will make the model standout!

Keep the pictures coming!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Fore and mainmast now complete. That’s 7 of the 9 yards installed and fully rigged. Just the mizzenmast yards left to do. I’ll take some better pictures with the proper camera when I’m finished this stage. The rigging gets to be routine as you go along, except of course for all the previously installed ropes increasingly getting in the way of everything you’re trying to accomplish. 

B433806B-F7ED-45ED-859A-A1E97EEE4E4C.jpeg

3669DEFD-5792-4260-93D5-FA6C5F0F4E01.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Photo added

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

So that’s all the timber all done with the gaff and boom now on. Regrettably the admiral just visited the workshop and casually suggested I put proper looking furled sails on the Bounty. Great. She tossed that remark off as if it should only take a few extra minutes. 

970195A8-7055-42D5-B632-D1DD90AFE8A6.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

That's looking very good, Tim.

Thanks for the complements on the Lively.

I seem to have a hard time focusing on only one project at a time, hence the aircraft build.  It helps change things up a bit when I hit a problem spot and need a break.

Jeff Betcher

Edited by Jeffb

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

I was considering furled sails as well... I'll be watching with interest.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

A Scratch build -TBD

11 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

She tossed that remark off as if it should only take a few extra minutes. 

women ... 😉

Nice work Tim

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

First sail is up as a blizzard rages outside. Many thanks to Landlubber Mike I found his post from 2013 on furling sails very useful. I’ve rigged this one with all the blocks and lines in place so it looks like it could be hoisted. For a first go I don’t think it’s too bad. The gaffsail looks slightly problematic though I may have to get more creative there.

731E4E69-0368-4C55-8D6E-368E2EA133E9.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Looks good!

I assume you are using the sails that came in the kit?

Did you do anything to them prior to mounting?

I’ll take a look at Landblubber Mike’s post too.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

Lyle: yes I’m just using the sails in the kit - thought about creating something thinner but after doing this first one I think these should work fine. I didn’t age them - They are a bit off white anyway and I want the contrast with the ship which in my version is mainly dark stained components. I’ll let you know if I change tack after doing a couple more of the larger ones. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fussy Gaffsail up. Rather than try to fathom how to make it look right, I decided not to overthink it and just rigged everything according to the book and then hoisted everything up to the head using the 6 brail lines I had attached to the leech of the sail. A bit of tightening and gathering up at the mast and this should be good to go. 

009A40FC-12E4-412C-AF6B-EC37B38B41E6.jpeg

CFFDE492-FBA2-489D-8D20-2370BB7C3A33.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Added image

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Furling and securing the sails is tricky with all the intervening ropes getting in the way of my ham fisted paws. Would be a heck of a lot easier just to let them hang as intended.

E4BB1C1A-B890-46ED-981D-923570B32338.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

She's a beauty, Tim!! 

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

Thanks Walrus!

Sewing the sails to the yards is a simple matter as compared to the others. I’m going to rig everything up and then draw the sails up to the yards and secure them same as I did the gaffsail at the stern. At least that’s the plan.

EC5FA9E1-9855-4F19-978B-ED1911A8C16B.jpeg

A442CFB2-3E1A-480B-A6CF-1496EE0ECFD1.jpeg

Edited by Tim Moore
Photo added

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

There evidently wasn’t a hemp shortage in the 18th century. Running out of places to tie rope to.
He says, thankfully.
Almost done this Bounty, just working out a way to hoist up the main sails using the proper tackle so it looks right. Not a lot of working room at this stage so may be a bit tricky to execute. 

CC6BD367-239F-4F7A-825F-EC906E1937C8.jpeg

8FDCAC99-72A8-4810-83B7-2152CDC2F05F.jpeg

9DBDB8D1-EEE0-4A30-AC63-A83296D97369.jpeg

78F3B28C-8DB4-4C67-ADB7-5312DD6F6AD6.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Stunning work, Tim!

I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Your log continues to be source of information to me.

Thanks for keeping it going to the end.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

Hey Tim,

A question for you...

l’m in the process of fairing the hull, in particular the stern. At the stern post I expected the plank ends to butt right into it. However there is so much material from the stern keel stiffeners that you almost need to sand or file them completely out!

How did you handle this particular area?

06EF24FF-44C3-4DB7-9E7F-1E1E3481A87F.thumb.jpeg.ce2b969f8b8ab1312cb3d1ea93461ae1.jpeg0BEC26B9-6C21-45BC-B061-A5EFD07AB739.thumb.jpeg.bf605394a3a01041cec08c56f0375dd8.jpeg

Appreciate any advise!

Edited by LyleK1

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

Hi Lyle - I do recall struggling with the lower part of the stern a bit to make a proper transition. I’m pretty sure I did most of the fairing, installed the stern post and keel, and then used my Dremel to pare down the structure further on the lower section abutting the stern post so that the face of planking could lay close to flush with the face of the post. Then I sanded it all flush after planking. There wasn’t a lot of backing timber left in that area.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

3 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Hi Lyle - I do recall struggling with the lower part of the stern a bit to make a proper transition. I’m pretty sure I did most of the fairing, installed the stern post and keel, and then used my Dremel to pare down the structure further on the lower section abutting the stern post so that the face of planking could lay close to flush with the face of the post. Then I sanded it all flush after planking. There wasn’t a lot of backing timber left in that area.

Thanks...

was considering building up the stern post on both sides as an an alternative too.

A 5x2mm walnut strip on both sides feathered toward the stern may work.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

That might be one way to do it, perhaps better than what I did. Might have to modify the inboard part of rudder pintles a bit if the stem is fatter but no big deal. 
dug these photos out of my record in case they are of any help, illustrates what mine looked like just before planking.

16637C67-E240-4BBA-9DD1-4A80EA9467FF.jpeg

D5ACACB0-4B79-4B43-B4DD-BF1C7B2299BB.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed