HMS Bounty by Tim Moore - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1/48

Thanks Tim

I don't have the option of going as thin as you have, the wiring for the lighting would have to be re-routed... not gonna happen!

Your method is otherwise the perfect choice.

I'm moving forward with a heavier stern post and I'll make it work just fine!

Thanks for the pictures!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Furling the sails on the yards is just a process of roping, folding, rolling, clamping and then tightening and tying them all off. Keeping all the ropes organized and finding the clear path amongst the rigging to the belaying pin has been the main challenge. Turning out ok though.
Spider heaven.

47FE5E2D-3F5E-4ED0-98EA-D76FC8A761B0.jpeg

DD0296FA-5CC8-47A5-A735-5AA2B5D3ABAA.jpeg

2CAE751B-2D8B-443A-A3B3-8221D8E8391A.jpeg

1928AABE-2DA5-4A35-98A4-DDFA0FB9E959.jpeg

93450698-F9CF-4FDB-AE6C-393282EC3F8D.jpeg

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Hoisted the flag on the Bounty this morning and she has set sail for the south seas, as I wish I was! I’ll post completed pics of her shortly when I get the shop cleaned up.
About 3 years to the day since I started.  I was away building up north for 18 months of that, so really an 18 month build off and on.  Thanks to all that checked in from time to time I really appreciate your support and kind comments. 
Tim

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Congratulations!

Looking forward to the pictures!

A little early as I usually like to take a short break but what's up next?

Lyle

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

A Scratch build -TBD

Thanks Lyle! Im just about to finish a large Spitfire model I built out of wood, just needs painting. Just bought an airbrush so my plan is to learn how to use that and paint the Spit as a bit of a break project. I’ve done a short log on it in the non ship section here. My next nautical project is the Fifie Scottish fishing boat - a lovely kit I got last year. 
Don’t hesitate to message me if you need to discuss anything on your excellent Bounty build.

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

C1BEAE5C-BB8D-4DFC-9B56-CAC3D894FF11.jpeg

6B875347-B1E9-43AE-A223-C8EB2C5ED147.jpeg

FFC68D50-9C66-47CB-BED5-8B4D4FBBE6E0.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Well done sailor. Very, very well done.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Thank you Mort!
Overall this was a great kit, it’s too bad if they are no longer in production. The end result is a substantial model with a lot of interesting detail. Some of the directions are limited but the rigging diagrams are really quite good and complete. I’m generally happy with the result. I rolled and tied up the staysails between the masts to keep them out of the way during final rigging but kind of like the transparency so think I’ll keep them that way at least for now. 

E8DB8418-C6F9-40E5-8051-7616C6BF10E7.jpeg

6C840F64-0218-435C-8216-C687DA63AAAC.jpeg

1771C5AB-405C-437D-ABA2-E96111186B84.jpeg

B2046F7C-9091-42C0-BD7C-89A24DB5D4AF.jpeg

7AFFACDA-BB8C-478E-BB46-9867722B41BE.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

11 hours ago, Tim Moore said:

Thanks Lyle! Im just about to finish a large Spitfire model I built out of wood, just needs painting. Just bought an airbrush so my plan is to learn how to use that and paint the Spit as a bit of a break project. I’ve done a short log on it in the non ship section here. My next nautical project is the Fifie Scottish fishing boat - a lovely kit I got last year. 
Don’t hesitate to message me if you need to discuss anything on your excellent Bounty build.

i do remember seeing that in a previous post. Good luck! Another love of mine... planes, but specifically WWII era planes! 

The pictures of your Bounty are stunning! Absolutely beautiful piece of art!

Hope to accomplish something close to what you've done!

Your build log continues to provide inspiration and guidance! Appreciate the opportunity to get some help from time to time! Overall, I like the kit but the instructions are not the best and out of order. Fortunately, build logs have helped and I'm really enjoying the challenge and the detail.

Lyle

Completed Builds:

In progress:

A Scratch build -TBD

Thanks Sam! I appreciate you checking in throughout my build.

E98B5C8F-A834-4EF6-AA07-CC3AD4D779AD.jpeg

BE729C07-DE1E-45F7-8995-AA2DF093F8F5.jpeg

E26F7E2A-BCF8-475C-9236-9EA6306B8FDF.jpeg

70AF330A-65AE-4FC1-A72D-022678ECA045.jpeg

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

Well done.
Congratulations on your model

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Beautiful, Tim.  Simply beautiful.

I have this kit in my stash and this thread will be a great resource.

Jeff

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/27/2020 at 4:10 PM, Tim Moore said:

Yay the first line of real rigging is aboard! Foremast stay. Have to be honest, wouldn’t mind subcontracting a few hundred hours of Bounty rigging to some elves. 

98DB590F-ABED-4A67-9E8D-132FBAF109B7.jpeg

4283CBC6-7164-4371-98CF-99778308850A.jpeg

Hello Tim I have started following your blog and found that the photos are great to follow and helping me lots in tigging my Bounty. What a fantastic model you have built. I am not sure if this is the correct place to add this and you can delete it if needs be.The photos also show great detail too. As you know I am  well. Best the Amati model and the instructions are somewhat lacking, It is much more clear your sequence of building this as well . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

On 12/26/2018 at 6:24 PM, Tim Moore said:

Happy holidays to everyone!

Bounty progress: hull now finished with two coats helmsman satin spar varnish, may do one more final finish coat later on. Finished the rudder, stern and bow trims. I'm turning most of the brass to iron colour using either a gun blue solution or a gunmetal paint. Not sure whether to paint any of the trim the yellow ochre - may leave it as a black/oiled wood colour scheme.

IMG_4118.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4124.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

Hi Tim,

The varnish you used does that have some color in it and is it mat or glossy?

Since I'm on my first ship and hardly seen many model wooden ship, is it more fitting to try to have the hull paintet/treated with a matt finish or some glossy?

Trond

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Current Build: HMS Bounty - Billingboats

Hi Trond - I would recommend you always use a matt, or satin varnish, never gloss or semi gloss. For this Bounty I used satin varnish, would probably have preferred if it was slightly flatter but it’s what I had. My Endeavour is basically raw wood which many experts prefer. A true matte varnish gives a similar look.
The helmsman spar type varnish I used has a warmer, slight amber tint which I actually don’t mind for this application. The varathane line and many other polyurethanes don’t have any tint so the result is colder.

Nice to chat with someone from Norway!

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:22 PM, Tim Moore said:

Hi Trond - I would recommend you always use a matt, or satin varnish, never gloss or semi gloss. For this Bounty I used satin varnish, would probably have preferred if it was slightly flatter but it’s what I had. My Endeavour is basically raw wood which many experts prefer. A true matte varnish gives a similar look.
The helmsman spar type varnish I used has a warmer, slight amber tint which I actually don’t mind for this application. The varathane line and many other polyurethanes don’t have any tint so the result is colder.

Nice to chat with someone from Norway!

I'm trying to find a local store where I can get some small sample to try out. Usually one can only buy in liters as min.

I got another question if you don't mind. What size did you use for rope/line and blocks? The blocks in my kit is one size and terrible.

I'm lookin in my newly books (Art of rigging and Masting & rigging) and there are so many types of line/rope which gives a lot of different block.

Trond

'Patience Is a Virtue'

Current Build: HMS Bounty - Billingboats

1 hour ago, Trond said:

I'm trying to find a local store where I can get some small sample to try out. Usually one can only buy in liters as min.

I got another question if you don't mind. What size did you use for rope/line and blocks? The blocks in my kit is one size and terrible.

I'm lookin in my newly books (Art of rigging and Masting & rigging) and there are so many types of line/rope which gives a lot of different block.

The rope I used was 0.15mm for most of the running rigging, halyards etc., 0.25mm for ratlines,  0.5mm for shrouds and the major standing rigging. Most of the blocks are 4mm. There are a few larger 5mm blocks attached to the masts. I darkened the blocks and deadeyes with a chestnut stain. 

Tim Moore

In progress

On Deck

Completed  

• 4 months later...
On 12/3/2018 at 2:58 PM, Tim Moore said:

Installation of the stern timbers and waterway isn't illustrated very well on the plans but is explained somewhat in the text. I drilled the base of the timbers and inserted a small chunk of dowel to act as a tenon to fix them into the deck, and then reinforced with the waterway both sides and between. This should give them enough rigidity to build up the upper planking at the proper angle while staying true. 

Found three separate historical paintings of the bounty that appear pretty consistent, so I'm going to proceed according to those in terms of my colour scheme.

IMG_4074.JPG

IMG_4075.JPG

Congradulation Tim . An Insperation and help to all who want to build a period ship including myself. She is a true Beauty. Those furled sails look fantastic. I look forward to following any future build ( Hoping you choose to do another blog) that you do. Thank you for all the help you gave me in building my Bounty . Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me