HMS Tiger 1747 by Siggi52 - 1:48 - 60 gun ship from NMM plans

Exceptional work Siggi.  you have mastered nearly every aspect of the construction of the cannon...very impressive for sure.  A credit to your craftsmanship and execution.

What a pleasure to watch.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello,

and many thanks for your likes and nice comments. That encourage me a little more to build all these tiny little eye- and ring bolts. 

It is done, the gun deck is fitted with cannons. Next I will build all the other cannons more or less ready. Then all cannons could go back into there garage and wait until there permanent installation. 

DSC00994.thumb.jpg.b9f02c3b7f8e1299c93274a63895aead.jpg

DSC00991.thumb.jpg.94fa7b8952270aa098263c5ba9576e93.jpg

DSC00993.thumb.jpg.b640bc35e4e59f4e092e889fd4e5e70a.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Recent build: HMS Tiger (1747)

Captains Barge ca. 1760, scratch build
HMS Dragon 74 gunner 1760, scratch build

On 2/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, Siggi52 said:

Hello,

today only a small update. I located the positions of the Rails, wales and gun ports at the hull. 

DSC00214.thumb.jpg.9c786bf96e2a4fa13f5f8953ed478677.jpg

Wow, I haven't seen a vernier height gauge since my engineering apprenticeship back in England sixty odd years ago. I used it to mark a steel die-making template covered in engineers blue. I'm going to be following this interesting and quite large build.

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Just got up to date and I'm very impressed, not only in your craftsmanship, but in your attention to detail. Making all those cannons was a massive undertaking but your efforts paid off. 

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.

Hello and many thanks for your likes and comments.

today I finished the 12 pdr's. Because the deck is't ready, I can't install there barrels. But the two extra guns are ready for display.

Now only the dozen 6 pdr's are left. 😃 

DSC01000.thumb.jpg.2ebc75e8d4928c707d73eccd48b05fc8.jpg

And that are the carriages for the guns of the ship. That was a lot more work than expected. 

DSC01001.thumb.jpg.c66d62fcb2698b416e808b65741b0918.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Hello and many thanks for your likes,

it is done, all cannons are ready! Here they are all together at the gun deck, or at least there carriages.

DSC01006.thumb.jpg.fb0cca0f9a2c99c6710cabe6334470e1.jpg

And that they are

DSC01017.thumb.jpg.6268e5fa97d8e995ad1660c4d3e79e1c.jpg

DSC01018.thumb.jpg.7e867f2d70fc1a0d87343b68e8980b4d.jpg

DSC01019.thumb.jpg.0e072ef8a70351170ead6a0183fc7e77.jpg

I have one question to an administrator. Did you change there something with the likes? They did't turn up in my notifications. There are now only the comments listed. The last time I have much trouble to open this site, I think because of too much traffic when in the US starts the day now in the Corona time. So some times I shut down this site when it was't open correctly. It takes sometimes up to 10 minutes with a traffic of 1-5 KB/s. 🤨 Many thanks in advance 

Regards,

Siggi

• 2 months later...

Just catching up on your work Siggi - wonderful modeling as always.  Your cannon and carriages are excellent.  It is easy to make one item well, but extremely difficult to make dozens of them identical to each other and each one precisely and flawlessly made.  Very nice.  

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

13 minutes ago, Jeronimo said:

Hello Siggi,

why the cannon-tulip in red?

I haven't seen that anywhere else.

Weshalb die Kanonen - Tulpe in Rot?

Ich habe das sonst noch nirgendwo gesehen.

regards Karl

I was also somewhat confused by that at first Karl. But since then I have noted a red muzzle and plug on other Navy Board models. Not sure if it a modeler's convention or just decorative but the practice is contemporary to other models of this period.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Siggi,

I agree, three strakes would not work with Anchor Stock or Top and Butt. And since the wale is the main fore and aft structure resisting tension along its length, it would probably not be simple planks butted together. So that leaves Butt and Hook. And since the Bellona built just 12 years later than the Tiger has Butt and Hook main wales, I would assume that this probably evolved from earlier practices. So not knowing anything else, I would assume this would be the method used by the Tiger.

But this is just a guess!

Mark

Siggi,

I realized that I have been missing your posts since they are now in a different date category than mine. I wondered why I was not seeing your work! So, catching up, it is looking great! The carving is spectacular, an inspiration for us all.

Best wishes,

Mark

Hello,

and many thanks for the many likes and nice comments. I do my very best to satisfy you. 

@Karl, as Greg already mentioned, you could see these red muzzles on many models of that time and also at paintings. Not only at english ships, but also the „Wappen von Hamburg III“ has that future.

489903895_bray16(1).jpg.c2174edcb99e26de4c71bfe8252a00bc.jpg Lt. Gabriel Bray

DSC00785.jpg.1b526f5ccccbc8c3f1a919ed7cf13624.jpg

At least I did't post here for a long time. I got the Corona Bluse, but good luck not the infection. Because the summer here in the northern part of Germany is more or les cold it is much colder in my basement. So I'm fixing this and that at my house and garden, and when the sun is shining I relax in the garden and doing nothing. 😊

So, Mark, you did't miss anything.

Stay all sound

Regards,

Siggi

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Did that ship really had a lion as figurehead or is it some sort of placeholder?

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

And it's a particularly good reproduction of the "Chinoiserie" style of lion fiurehead that was so popular at the time, right down to the expression on its face.

Siggi,

Superb figurehead carving, beautiful work !!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Hello again,

after such a long time, I'm back at the ship yard. The wether outside is dark and rainy, so I did't mis anything in the basement. First I started with the plans. When I was ready drawing the pumps, I thought it would be a good idea just to build them. 

Here are the plans, I draw the red lines to mark the hatch ways at each plan. Because the sheer plan is not always identical with the decks plans, I have to stay with the sheer plan. 

DSC01093.thumb.jpg.7494e8d2043c06e8c7b88e264261d139.jpg

And here are the chain pumps, here in white

DSC01085.thumb.jpg.a1c7b8040f651b75eae0e85789259ee3.jpg

and here fresh painted

DSC01087.thumb.jpg.cffb7c733c73572e1b503149991bc374.jpg

DSC01090.thumb.jpg.d5d6f9d17e5ac80371cd7d56cdab60d4.jpg

The next project would be the elm pumps. 

Regards,

Siggi

Nicely done, Siggi.  A question and I hate to ask it.  Is the little man with the paint to scale?  If he is, I think the pump housing might be too high as he would have to raise his hands well over his head while using the pumps.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello,

and many thanks for your comments and likes.

Mark, I think that it's the perspective. These pumps are huge, but not so much. If you look at the drawing, I think it fits. The painter is 1,70m and the carpenter 1.80m (6 feet) high. The axle is at 3f 10in. 

DSC01096.thumb.jpg.11efe22f6523fa101dcb0a44e67c5bab.jpg

DSC01100.thumb.jpg.475aecf1e084791659e89ed4c9cd22a6.jpg

DSC01099.thumb.jpg.170718fa4615deee91d3763c4401df89.jpg

Regards,

Siggi

Thanks Siggi. I think it was the perspective that made it look off.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello,

now I have also the elm-tree pumps ready. I build them after Goodwin's description of the Victory pumps. I think, that these pumps are so old that there is nothing newer in this version than in the middle of the 18. century. It was a little tricky to build these fine parts, but at least it worked.

DSC01104.jpg.7a7bb6e4f0d6e76c9fca671518e1b9c1.jpg

DSC01107.jpg.13f6b81cd90a39a360cf4de7faac463d.jpg

And here they are in position and ready to pump 😉

DSC01108.jpg.41b95170bcf109381d50482912900351.jpg

Regards,

Siggi