HMS Tiger 1747 by Siggi52 - 1:48 - 60 gun ship from NMM plans

There are excellent arguments for both approaches.  For my part, I appreciate the practicality of builders long-gone-by; I am certainly guilty of “historical bias,” whereby I assume that earlier craftsmen were just so supremely skilled at all aspects of fabrication, that they’d hardly blink at the daunting prospect of painting frieze-work directly onto the model.  Despite the difficulty, I know you will succeed, Siggi!

Hello and many thanks for your likes,

Noel, the crew is working in the hold and orlop deck. Thats why you did't saw them the last time 😉

But I was also busy today, because it rained outside. The last two fenders are build in. The painter has a lot of work the next days, painting the hull, before I could start painting the frieze.

DSC01496.jpg.bb7a337ac7a8bd46de96e1737c9b0eb3.jpg

DSC01498.thumb.jpg.53e5783350436417896afac87d903092.jpg

Posted (edited)

Siggi,

Just discovered your brilliant log - Wow! superlative work. Spent an hour going through - thoroughly enjoying every post and image. 

I saved some of your images to inspire me to attempt to add some of your brilliant details to my current project - certainly not close to your level of work, but it will be a good challenge. Again amazing work -

oh yes and your lion - as has been said - "over-the-top" amazing  :imNotWorthy:

Respectfully,

Edited by md1400cs
Posted (edited)

Many, many thanks for your comments and likes.

Yes Noel, it's an azalea. It looked a bit, like she is sailing into the sunset 🙂

The idea to paint the hull in such a bright yellow came from this model in Chatham, an early 74 gunner, CHDT MOD.050

DSC05110.thumb.jpg.8f13b6bde899636b20579f5d60d12274.jpg

Edited by Siggi52
Posted (edited)

Hello,

I'm not very busy these days, but I painted the hull with clear satin finish lacquer. The yellow is now a little deeper and brighter. The lacquer is't totally dry at the moment, and a little thicker as when fully dry, but you can see that I did't lost any detail. But now you see every fault in the planking, you have not seen before I painted the hull 🤔, but that is ok. 

DSC01512.thumb.jpg.99c5ec6e5698893bed0cb949826401c0.jpg

And I'm doing my homework for painting the friezes. These friezes are 8 mm high, it is even with a pencil a challenge to draw. 😰 

DSC01507.thumb.jpg.17d470ca67f34a74af3177b05af511e0.jpg

Edited by Siggi52

Hello, and many thanks for your likes and comments

Keith, I did't mean faults as there is something wrong. But you see where planks not have the same thickness, because my Proxxon thought it must not be! I did't realised that during sanding and also not later, because you could't see it. But after I applied the paint these things are clear visible. But it is ok, I think that that happened also at the real ships. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hello,

after a long time of meditation about the next step, and there is nothing more to do in the garden, I had no more excuses to start painting the fries. I did't sleep well last night, and the first brush strokes where really horrible, but at least I think I got it. My nerves calm down 😊

I went with the ship in my winter-garden (?) and used my campaign chairs to hold my ship. That was a really good idea, because I could turn the ship in the direction I needed to work. The first picture show you this assembly.

DSC01514.thumb.jpg.ec66aa7a471bbbbcc8ba84c041fe968e.jpg

And here I'm painting. I used at least only three colors, and Prussia blue for corrections. 

DSC01518.thumb.jpg.79d4da5cb155f5adf314e523ae0f90c7.jpg

and the first result. This is at least a 3 hours work. 

DSC01517.thumb.jpg.308090337bfc8d652c39861fd9c24e8c.jpg

Edited by Siggi52