Prince de Neufchatel by rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Very nice clean work Bob, I love the fine details that you achieve.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

the bow looks great Bob  :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I have now built and installed the rear cabin with it's companionway and skylight. This completes the deck items. The cabin was built up from boxwood strips, with some interior bracing to support the walls and roof. The skylight glazing is clear styrene sheet. The door handles are blackened pin heads.

The next thing to be done will be the lower deadeyes and chainplates.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_86b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_86c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_86d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_86e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_86f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_870.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_871.jpeg

P8150157.JPG

P8150158.JPG

Really nice clean colorful work - she will look superb when finished in a case,   you should site her Pride of place in your living room.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Bob,

I am so glad that I found you working on this project.  I intend to pull up a chair, read the past postings and then watch 

as you progress with your marvelous modeling skills.

I have learned so much from your re-constructed build log for the Fair American.  I am using your work as a practicum

for the Fair American model that I have started.    I am sure I will learn every bit as much keeping up on this project of 

yours.

Fair Winds,

Jim

Nice indeed, Bob.  I also have to say that I enjoy seeing a man's tools spread out on his workbench within easy reach.  😉

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 2 weeks later...

that's a sweet looking cabin Bob.........so good in place on the deck  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks so much Denis and the "likes".

Work is continuing very slowly. I decided to do the lower masts next. They were done from dowel, with the head sections squared by sanding. The cheeks were cut from boxwood sheet and the trestletrees and crosstrees made from boxwood strip, as was foremast platform. The cleats were made from boxwood strip and pinned to the masts. The boom support for the mainmast was cut from sheet with strip supports. 

I'm struggling now with how to proceed. Working on the masts got me to really looking at the rigging plans for the first time. It was not a happy experience. There is little useful detail, and much of what there is seems at odds with usual practices of the  time as shown in Lees or Lever. Is anyone aware of a more accurate rigging plan for PdeN?

Bob

fullsizeoutput_872.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_873.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_874.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_875.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_876.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_877.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_878.jpeg

Hi Bob,

I like your hatched aft companionway very much, good work !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Bob, you might want to look into the Smithsonian plans for the Merrit Edson model in their collection. The book The Search for Speed Under Sail by Chapelle has a few of the plates in a smaller size, but not clear enough to rig from. 

My copy of the Smithsonian catalog shows these two rigging sheets available, conveniently in 3/16 scale. They are $10.00 each. 

I used the Chapelle book as best I could as a guide to rig my PdN. Not perfect, and hard to see but better than just he MS plans. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Bob,

I hear ya with the struggles of this model.   I've actually started to crutch off of a Syren kit someone had started but didn't finish in both parts and instructions.    Both ships are American built 2 masted vessels of similar size of the same period and the kits were the same scale.    Chuck's instructions have a lot more pictures and details especially around rigging the bow spirit, etc.  I've given up on the instructions that came with the PDN and am relying heavily on Chappelle's drawings and Reed's book.   The Syren came with photo etched parts for gun ports that I plan to use.     The Syren's instructions are on the MicroMark website for download in PDF.     

Josh

Edited by Azzoun

Bob, it's #561, which encompasses all three sheets available. One is the line drawings, and the other two are the sail /rigging plans noted. They each have separate prices, but I believe in most cases they are only sold in sets, so it would be $30.00+$5.00 shipping.

e-mail is shipplans@si.edu   and they can confirm all this. 

I know they operate in an archaic world of only accepting check or money order and you have to order via snail mail. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Bob,

I have been been away from model building for a couple of months but am ready to settle back in and wanted to catch up on your progress. Wow did I miss a lot! What a great build you have going.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more updates.