Yes it is fun!  The Prince was my first build, and the rigging is what eventually led me to MSW, because I just could not figure out what the kit's instructions were about!  Seeing you getting the standing rigging started makes me want to go back and look at my own work . . . but I dread finding out how much I did wrong.  :o  Your Prince really shows how it's all supposed to work.

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks so much Denis, Mike, Nils, Martin and Zappto for the generous comments, and thanks also to the "likes". 

Martin, there is no way that I could have rigged this model from the kit plans and instructions. Without the Smithsonian plans and tables, it would have been impossible.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I've now made up, mounted and rigged the fore top mast.This included the shrouds, two stays and a backstay.The topmast stay runs through a bee block at the bowsprit and then to a tackle hooked to the bow.The jib stay runs through  a traveler at the jibboom and then to a tackle hooked to the bowsprit cap.

Next will be the fore topgallant and royal mast.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8b2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8b4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8ae.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8b0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8b1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8b6.jpeg

Bob is disgustingly good at rigging, I realized that with his Granado which was before the Prince and the Essex. He makes it look very easy and straightforward, like he throws a pile of line at the ship and they all magically orient themselves and suddenly the standing rigging is done. I figure I'll ship my Lady Nelson to him because he could do in four days what would take me 6 weeks to figure out, and his version would be better.

I've now made, mounted and rigged the fore topgallant/royal mast. This included the topgallant shrouds, stay and backstay and the royal stay and backstay. Also added the main royal stay and backstay.This completes the standing rigging, with the exception of the ratlines, which will be done next (always save the best for last 😀).

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8c0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8bc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8bd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8be.jpeg

The ratlines are now complete. Three things are true about doing ratlines: 1) since it is a year or more between times that I do them, I completely forget how to tie clove hitches, and have to look up how to do them each time; 2) once I have tied a few, it's like riding a bike ,and it comes back quickly; and 3) it always feels like I could have, and should have, done them better. Having said all that, I'm happy that they are done and I can move on to more enjoyable things. Time to make , mount and rig some yards.

Bob

fullsizeoutput_8c2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8c3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8c4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8c5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_8c7.jpeg

As your Florida neighbor asks "do you ever sleep". You are a prolific and masterful modeler that makes kit modeling come alive. I am amazed at your and others productivity that seem to produce at "warp speed". In that light we have one group member that starts at about 10:00 at night when the house is quiet. If I started at that time I would likely nod off and hurt myself. Wished I lived closer so I could look over your shoulder to understand your work process.

Joe