The Tumblin' Dice by popeye the sailor - Artesania Latina - 1:80 - Mississippi riverboat

hi Sjors!   glad to see you 👀  thanks for the kind comment  :) 

thanks Sam........I'm trying to get the stairs to work. ;) 

thanks for all the likes!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis,

Your staircase SURE raises the bar - Well done my friend...

Cheers

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

ohhhhhh.........I hope I can emulate the sentiments.  but keep on cheering me on with the stairs........I may succeed :D   gonna be tough this week though with Thanksgiving festivities going on.   I will try and have some sort of update on her.   thanks for the vote of confidence Sam and Michael :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I left a comment on your log.........added to the thought of making the hole larger,  you need to take account of how much of the first level you have to work with.   it's a very interesting idea  ;)   glad you decided to come on board with a river boat project....you have very neat ideas!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did find one picture in the camera from last Friday.   small part really.........the start of making the capstan.

capstan.jpg.7b82b0e6965986773857f21d0a90a24d.jpg

it's Thanksgiving today.......for all who observe this day.........We at the wharf send our best wishes and have something near and dear to be thankful for.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

All the best to you  and yours denis.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The stairs looks brilliant and happy thanksgiving to you and everyone else who celebrates it, it everyone else happy Thursday

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks all for the kind comments and hit'in the like button :)   the wharf was shut down for the Thanksgiving festivities,  although I finally reboxed the paints I received recently.........I neglected to tell yas about it :blink:   well.........a fellow member here was dealing with another fellow,  who was selling off his brother's estate {condolences, sad but true},  and there was a huge amount of paint in the offerings.  he bought them up and sold them to me on the cheap.......a collection of Humbrol,  white ensign,  model master,  and testor's paint.  some of the paint was quite old........the testor's and model master didn't fair too well,  but in the end,  in just the Humbrol and white ensign paints alone,  I ended up with around 150, 14 ml paints...military and likewise.

I had separated them all according to country......INJ, KM, US,  etc.   finding paint charts was equally as fun.   but now that Thanksgiving was over,  I had to box them up,  because I had them lined up all over the boxes of Christmas decorations.   I won't have a paint shortage in the near future,  I can tell ya that!  :)   one other piece of the estate that he though I'd be interested in,  is so awesome.........I've only dreamed about building something this large.........a kit of the Tamiya 1:200 New Jersey!   it has been already started,  but the gent did a super job with it,  as far  as he got......I likely won't have to do very much reassembly.  once I get a handle on projects and find the time,  I'll bring it out to work on....    I'm as giddy as a school boy  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking forward to this denis  - will follow with great interest.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

thanks OC.... whatever your looking forward to.....I'll try to make it interesting  ;) 

thanks Bob........they'll look even better once I figure out how to fit 'em in place  :D 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

if I were to say one word..........I'd perk up all who are waiting to see the day................stairs! 👀     yep!  I'd say I made some head way on them.   the one for the starboard side does have a problem though.........it's twisted and won't sit flush.   I'm having to make some gyro adjustments on it........so far, so good.

the port side is faring better though.......I've had to do quite a bit of sanding to get it over enough to accept the port side.   pictures are being compiled as we speak ;)    

did ya miss me.............I just put a coat of paint on the starboard stairs.   I'm using the paints for the first time Lou...........should be particularly interesting for you.   I'll be right back.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

It is a metal hook used to attach wool or cloth while it dries, usually attached to a wooden frame or fence.  I would guess that the Brits expression is similar in meaning to our Yanks expression "on pins and needles."

Edited by Jack12477

over here in the states,  we cal it on pins and needles.......or......in suspense :o {gotta have the face or it doesn't look right}.  even I don't even know what a tenterhook is....if it looks anything like the folks who like to hang from hooks.........I think I'd rather lie on a bed of nails ;)   towards the end of last week,  since the Thanksgiving holiday broke my week end up,  I decided to clean up the table and give myself more room.

1395913209_1.jpg.db023a6d943b3a9bdccf2d98d9f7dcd1.jpg

the starboard stairs as I mentioned,  has some problems with it.   I added the inboard railing {the small one} and began to assess what to do with it.

806364774_2.jpg.c66e26f9874fb4f443b4288f0a6c6358.jpg

after fitting it a couple of times,  I knew I had to add another step to the top.   I had already cut it off though........the thought was long gone, if not stale.  then came the major sanding and fitting on the port side staircase.  feeling like I had it where I wanted it,  it got the white base coat.  yes,  that's Pactra paint........gotta be some old stuff.  took a bit of doing to get the lid off!

2026654597_3.jpg.feab4d9f6cc41b604ef409e36b87aa92.jpg

in that collection of paint that I got was some Monogram brand Humbrol paint.........I never even knew that this brand of paint existed.  I got around 15 tins of this brand...different colors......some are actually quite bizarre.  this color here is what they call hull red........it looks brown to me,  and that's what I used it as.

5245054_4.jpg.b5f1e77dc40a1579e46ead7d859b9fcd.jpg

68515080_5.jpg.1a6bad9b97c617e64ff2e3a332db98b6.jpg

as far as the treads go.......I may do something with them;  but if not,  I'll leave them as they are.  the starboard staircase took a bit of doing,  but I think this will work.   I had to add a slight wedge at the foot of the stairs.......it tilts on a slight angle.......I tried to get it out with no avail.  I also added another step at the top and added to the railing....two spindles.   with that,  I had to add to the handrail.

617679688_6.jpg.f96c0a44fd64d72a7820f348edb65ba5.jpg

1466305425_7.jpg.c0c8d4565bdce70d7b369340c8c16366.jpg

this staircase,  after more sanding and fitting,  got it's coat of paint too.  now they are a matching pair.........as close as I can get them ;) 

2079752006_8.jpg.47cbeddb28e37975a70e50150def3ad5.jpg

377245290_9.jpg.8e8dd9acec75582ee4932bc758d538e5.jpg

I'll let these dry for a spell........the paint seems to have retained a normal drying time,  but is still tacky at the moment.   I also drilled the holes in the bow fender,  so that's done and out of the way.   hoping to get them installed tonight.......but it may carry over till tomorrow.  boy.......making stairs certainly has it's ups and down.........don't they?!?!?!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Jack..........if only you said that eight mins ago :D  :D  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

guess what! 😤.........too small..........1714438992_images1.jpg.31200a31a948adb55f619b9eeb976afa.jpg    you'll be pleased to see..........

201164004_images2.jpg.e7a80ce07c95525bed1e313bd9ea2cf5.jpg      OK......OKKKKKK!   the stairs were dry..........I cemented them in place already...........jeeze! :unsure:

they are not perfect,  but they pass muster.  the only thing I'll need to do is elongate the port side a little......I can do that with them in place.

901347849_10.jpg.31965fb4c471dd7ac942cdfd4bc621fb.jpg

1673933411_11.jpg.f83ef065fead2f44f2b7cd43ffcac4c1.jpg

you can see the port side is missing a couple spindles.   it will bring the handrail to the same height as the starboard side.

1492866644_12.jpg.7db8902ece46bcd73b043adbf6ae7978.jpg

the landing didn't come out too bad.......glad I didn't even it out any more though.   it would have ruined it and I would have had to start over.  th white treads don't look too bad either ;) 

1804277849_13.jpg.21ef69457250c3ea60cdae51d0871eb6.jpg

when I fit the port side,  there wasn't any problem here.......but you can see a tiny bit of unevenness at the landing.  I tried to straighten it out,  but I think I'd need to alter it......    after what I did to the starboard side........nawwww,  it's fine ;)   I'll have to flip it over to paint underneath though.....I can see the underside as you peer in the front.   small deal........tomorrow.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Denis

giphy-5.gif.89d8713765b367a57b2d86a512119ef7.gif

At last the stairs are in. Great job.

I have to laugh though at one part. With almost 300 paints I sent you and thinking that the half that I had dragged up from my basement was not going to be worth anything, the first two colors were not from the paints that were brand new ones from the guy, but from my old paints!

As for the New Jersey. When he pulled it out of the back of his car to set it aside so he could get to the stuff that I wanted to look at, it just sat there and I could see a big flag waving over it that had DENIS written all over it so I added it to the take home stack. I'm glad that #1 I was right and #2 it made it to you in one piece!

I recently bought a old classic board game on eBay for my oldest son's birthday in June, (He is turning the big 50 and is not all that happy about it). I picked out one that not only was complete but had a better than average box top. It is amazing what kind of prices they want for this game even with halfway torn up boxes and broken towers that no longer work! Anyway the box arrived almost open with only two strings of tape still holding it and the outer box looked like the driver ran over it! Part of the instructions were even hanging out! I finished opening it with dread. Sure enough the game box top was split at all four corners and the tower was in three pieces! The seller had listed it as "Pristine" and the pictures for the most part had supported her! Not any more! I made her even madder when I refused to deal with UPS and used eBay to send it back at her expense ( I assume another $100 in postage) But I still will need to start all over looking on eBay for the "right" one!:( 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

what game was that?........mousetrap?  only game I know of that has a tower.   nope....the New Jersey came to New Hampshire without a single scratch on her!   .......another big thanks for think'in 'bout me :)   can't wait to build her......as mentioned,  the work that has been done on her looks really good,  not too much back tracking to do....even the paint.  I will have to touch up the outer hull though.......few scratches.   there's about 15 of those paints,  so I'll run through those first.   I was trying to find out the exact size of the tins........they are all 1/2 oz.   there was one other Pactra paint in the larger bottle......Artillery Olive.......have to see if it's viable.......it's a very common military color.   cripes,  back then,  Pactra was the go to paint.......they had many interesting colors and I liked how they were labeled.....right on the cap!   they are old...........but they dry just fine ;)   another huge thanks.......a deal well struck!   I'm not a huge fan of E-Bay..........a 'buy it now',....sure,  but I don't gt into bidding wars.  be wary that in some cases,  there has been a hidden bid that inflates the ceiling,  causing the buyer to bid more than the item is worth {a friend from Hawaii told me about this}.  you'll bid only to find that you've been outbid.......so you raise your bid.....and you've been outbid again!   that's what happened when I bought my second Cutty Sark,  before my friend told me......I paid $85.00 plus shipping.   using my friend's advice,  when I bought my second U.S.S. United States,  I waited till the time was almost done {1 min}, to post my bid.......I got it for $45.00 including shipping!

yea.......I'm glad the stairs are done too.   I think my problem was that I was putting too much thought into them.  if I try to plan or think like that,  it doesn't work out right {goes for just about everything}.   but,  if I just do it.....without dwelling on stuff,  I have no problems.   it's probably the reason why I have so many projects.......I get an idea and go do it ;)    it's fine with me........I hear think'in keeps ya young :rolleyes:

thanks for the good word :)   keep me in your loop  :D 

BTW.......the Artillery Olive is viable........just needs some thinner ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

what game was that?.

The game was "Dark tower" by Milton Bradly and the darn things are EXPENSIVE! I personally would not want one or pay as much as they want as I always thought the game was kind of stupid. But then I have been known to pay even more for a model I wanted. To each his own I suppose.

I NEVER get into bidding wars. I seldom even bid on an item before the last 10 seconds. Mostly more like 5 seconds. Then I bid the max that I am willing to pay. That way #1 people do not normally have time to respond to my bid and #2, if someone outbids me I at least made them pay more than I was willing to pay for whatever it was! :angry:

That bottle of Artillery Olive is possibly older than you are!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/3/17649192/dark-tower-board-game-kickstarter-restoration   check this out Lou :) 

thanks for the like all.......I'm glad you folks kept me look'in at it  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

What are you trying to do Denis? Break me? I already spent a bunch of money on him when he graduated from medical school, (That I also helped pay for) by getting him a LEGO Millenium Falcon that was out of production. I forgot how much that cost but it was A LOT! Now the Dark Tower and in a couple of years the new Dark Tower! 

We got this thing all backwards. HE should be getting ME some kind of super expensive toy that I can't justify  spending money on for myself!

So now that you are done with the stairway what's next?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

We got this thing all backwards. HE should be getting ME some kind of super expensive toy that I can't justify  spending money on for myself

sorry can't help you with that.....you gotta work that voodoo on your own.   try the Jedi mind trick  ;) 

what's next.......why,  keep going I guess.   still got a few thing on the first level to do,  as well as the railing enclosure.  I can go upwards too.   I been spend'in the morning on the Progress....ran a couple of errands already.   this afternoon,  we are off to my oldest grandson's birthday party.  I didn't get all the particulars,  but the admiral got saddled with making the cake.   what can I say,  it's a normal weekend for me .

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Since I don't have weekends anymore you just described a normal day for me. Kids, chores, duties, errands, and bed!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

gotta have a sense of humor ;)   hello there!  welcome to the forum ........and the log....

is your name not Bruce?

no,  it's Michael......

that's gonna cause a bit of confusion........mind if we call you Bruce to keep it clear?!

so far,  so good........the staircases were terrible to do......but they are done.   I'll be working on her today {barring any distractions}   thanks for the kind word and look'in in.......more on the horizon  ;) 

is that rat tart...........disgusting!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denise...great job on a difficult set of staircases.  Symmetry in reverse can be a real challenge.

Very nice job...the entire build is moving along nicely.....Now I'm seeing how eclectic you are in your build likes.  You have a wide variety  of ship likes....and you do an amazing job with every type and design.

I applaud you.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

thanks Rob......very kind to say!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Who is this Denise ? Is she gorgeous ? Just to let you know Popeye that I am still watching ! Nice work on them stairs.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi