The Tumblin' Dice by popeye the sailor - Artesania Latina - 1:80 - Mississippi riverboat

Denis, your first shot of those stairs made me think of that Escher print with the stairs. Hoo hah! They are looking good.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Stairs are looking good Denis - you see - - perseverance pays off in the long run.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks Piet........yea,  I'm making some headway.....now to get back to the build.   I got side tracked yesterday......it was a nice day.   not that I had yard work to do, but the fact that I had to replace the entire exhaust system in the car.   I could have gotten away with just replacing the resonator pipe and muffler,  had someone not cut off the flanges and welded the pipe to the front pipe {a repair before we bought the car}.   just as well,  because I had already replaced the flex part of the front pipe about a year ago,  and it had developed a leak...it too was beginning to break again.  the weather was forecasted to be rainy all week....but yesterday was dry and in the 50's.   so,  being a good day,  I ran the car up on the ramps,  jacked up the rear to get it off the ground,  and did the whole job.   I had the nose of the car in the garage,  and the rest of it outside,  cuz I don't have a lot of room.  I had called my brother about it,  since he has a lift,  but he had a tough job going on at the moment and he was in a foul mood.   AWWWW, what the heck......I'm used to doing things like this.  I do my own work.   I shake my head sometimes.......all through my younger days,  I used to get stopped,  because I was runn'in a cherry bomb,  or some other enhanced exhaust system....and today,  you hear these kids scream'in by the house with exhaust systems that make you think they're runn'in off the manifolds!  enough rant ;) 

this morning,  I took a review through all the build logs I've written on Word Press.......I am so astounded with how many there are!  I have Wenzel's Wharf and 11 different drydocks........and then add the ones I have on Blogger.   glad I like to write,  all I gotta say  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The stairs look like the real deal from here, Denis.  Hopefully, they work out and won't need to be replaced with an elevator. ;):P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I thought of that Mark........earlier,  that's what I meant about going 'Dr Who' all over it  ;):D   it would be an interesting mod!   I just have to trim them so they butt up against the post...the way they are at the moment,  it might be a very tight squeeze.  this is why I started to think of joining them together,  and compensating for the forward camber of the second level.  I hope to have some kind of update soon....thanks for your vote of confidence.......and to you as well Piet!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

10 hours ago, mtaylor said:

The stairs look like the real deal from here, Denis. 

Denis,

Stairs redo redo redo, look good. Man they all put you in front of a firing squad with no escape you had no choice but to redo looks great will make a big difference. Kudos:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

thanks John for the thought........I know that your likely joking,  but I don't think of it like that.  I value everyone's suggestions and comments......after all,  we've all come together within these hallowed halls for one reason....our love for the medium.   we all share the same desire.......to create models as accurately as possible,  whether it be scratch or kit.   this is the only site I've belong to so far,  where criticism really hasn't flourished....everyone conveys more of a constructive criticism,  than anything else.   for all you new comers out there......don't be daunted from doing logs on your projects here......your denying yourselves of an excellent learning opportunity.  the beauty of this site,  is that we all want you to succeed.......we all want to perpetuate the medium...we all want you to grow along with us  ;) 

I was here a short time before I came out with the M&M project...it was a 'what if'....a fantasy build.   in the beginning,  the ribbing and jokes I got from it was pretty intense......I almost shut down the log.   but one voice suggested I continue,  so I did.  I'm sure he knows who I'm talking about {if he remembers}..before long,  as I got into it more,  it all stopped when folks saw how neat it looked.  I learned something too...no one was being rude or cruel.....it was merely a lighthearted approach to something they've never seen before.  it's too bad that the log was lost in the big crash......if I could remember everything,  I'd put it back up.  for my first attempt at some real scratch building,  it was some pretty nifty stuff;)  if I do say so myself.

so.....no,  no firing squad........just my friends who care and want to see my full potential.  I'm glad your a friend as well.....no one can have too many :)   thanks to all of you who won't let me take the easy way out!   when I first started here.......I could count those I considered mentors on one hand.   now......forget it.....i've lost count  ;)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I hope it was a joke. I'm sure it was meant to be. Your comments are valid though but not maybe as a reply.

Current build : Fokker Dr 1

Completed non-boat build 1/16 Model expo Sopwith Camel - in shore leave.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Artesania Latina Red Dragon (Modified)

Non-boat build 1/24 scale Dennis bus by OcCre - in shore leave.

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

OcCre Santisima Trinidad Cross Section 

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

.I know that your likely joking

Was kidding should have put ha ha at he end or a ;):P:Dmaybe:D:D :D

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I knew you were joking John.....no problem  ;) 

I knew he was joking Mike :)   the way I look at it,  if one hesitant new comer posts a log after reading it,  then it's good ;) 

I'll check out those links Nils......thanks a lot :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the figures look great Nils.........I think the shipping cost would kill me though.   I have the Preiser site bookmarked...I wrote down the number and I'll look them up there.   thanks for giving me the head's up.......I looked at quite a few sets and didn't see these  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some really honest quality wording from you my friend,    I will add to it by saying  - this is The most warm and friendly forum of any I  know of  or use,  all the members either established artisians of the wood or plastic, or new comers to our world, are all first class individuals who make our little world what it is here.:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi Denis

It's been a while since I've been able to look in, but as usual, I'm totally blown away by how much you've done and how good your TD looks.  I especially like the spiral stairs.

Top job, Denis!

Cheers

Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Popeye, I just found this log, not sure how I missed this one, but will be playing catch up over next few days. 

I hope you don't mind me coming aboard at late date but this looks like a great build to follow, keep up the posts and good luck with your build. So far, very impressive, looking forward to seeing more.

Blighty.

:D  yea.......I have a few running projects.   never at a loss for something to do  ;) 

welcome Bilghty.........I should be getting back to this project soon.   gotta get through another fun filled :rolleyes: work week.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Brian, go for the Occre kit. It's great fun especially with the interior detail.

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

Mare Nostrum (modified)  Amati Oseberg (modified)  Chaperon sternwheel steamer 1884   Constructo Lady Smith kit/scratch build   

Constructo Robert E Lee Paddle Steamer  Constructo Louise, steam powered river boat   OcCre Bounty with cutaway hull 

Corel Scotland Baltic Ketch (not on MSW) OcCre Spirit of Mississippi paddle steamer (not on MSW)

In the Gallery:
 Mare Nostrum   Oesberg  Constructo Lady Smith   Constructo Robert E Lee   Constructo Louise   OcCre Bounty   OcCre Spirit of Mississippi

I would suggest the same thing Brian........there are a few flaws with this kit.   I'm working my way back to it and should be back at it soon.   I'm not using the metal windows and doors,  which means that there will be some scratch building going on.   I'd be pleased if you followed along.......the more the merrier  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

if you can figure how long it will take to get to you,  you shouldn't have too much of a problem ;)    I think you will have a good time with this project.   happy to have you looking in :)   have a good trip!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

BOOO!!!  :D    hope I didn't scare you.......thought I'd visit an old haunt {after all.....it is October} ;) .    great month for beer too.  as I mentioned in another log.........{I must be on fire}........I haven't been doing much of late.   fingers crossed to change all that.   I had cut pieces of planking on the table,  gathering dust,  while I played with other projects.   in pick'in stuff up,  I picked up some of the planking and.....and I dunno,  adding glue into the mix came to mind.   I was in the process of planking the outside of the upper level structure and began continuing with it.  I need to stain some smaller planking to do the end fascia.   what I did was later trimmed,  but needs a little stain touch up.

601490408_1.jpg.8711198677ed5a5736d2f7cd781d90b6.jpg

while this was drying,  I marked off and started to plank the third level deck.

123454607_2.jpg.3dddbe20f4909483bd7ec05e5b04d40f.jpg

the lighter colored ones are no real concern........I'm going to go over this deck with stain,  as I did with the other decks.  I'm using the archive pen for the simulated calking.  I'm going to plank this deck the same way as I did the second level deck.   the midway point is visible in this picture........I will add the center strip along the line as I get closer to it and border it off.  the other end will go in the opposite direction, and then I can open up all the holes and stuff.........

1711229926_3.jpg.4b3949888da33db0bbd60550500cfd5c.jpg

I got further along,  before I got called away.  I will get back to it tomorrow :)    staining more planking is definitely in my future ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks for the good word John.........the admiral is as well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Chris..........I know,  I've been neglectful.  even though I have a couple of projects that I absolutely need to get done,  I will try to at least keep the process going......even if it's a little  ;)     the admiral's happy too.........hasn't yelled at me lately  :D 

I did a bit more.......update soon  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Denis,

YES! - Nice to see you back at your river yard....

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

And about time too !!!!

Previous boat builds:

Yacht Mary

In the Gallery:

hello there Mike and Michael........I can't even count how many Michael and Mikes I know  ;)     I played bass with a fellow named Mike...he had a band called undisturbed earth...................and Michael,  well he's my best friend who lives in Florida.......been best buds since elementary school :)  {punched a kid 'cuz he was mak'in fun of 'em...he wears glasses}.   

yea.....I'm back with 'er on the table....the one in the spare room.   .....all because of some spare bits of planking on the table.   I was cleaning up the table,  so I could do some tracing for some parts........one thing led to another.   I'm hoping to get back to 'one armed paper hanger' speed.......I miss the days when a build from start to finish,  took months rather than years.  but it's not about speed,  is it ?!?!?!   I got a lot further with the planking of that deck........I'll try to get 'er up here for you folks to see.  I like the way it looks  ;)    enjoy you two and I hope yas follows along   emoticones_dibujos_popeye-el-marino1_en.PlanetaEmoticon_com.gif.58746d6f5484e707e2de9000561247ca.gif

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

see.....now wasn't that quick :D    with the system I use,  I can import the pictures,  size them down by 30%,  and set them up in a folder.   after I'm finished posting them,  they go in the main folder for the project,  to be stored on a memory stick.  the ones I use are 32GB,  so there is plenty of room.

anyway.........I got half of the deck done.  I trimmed it and cut out the stair wells...I still need to do all the slots and holes.

1039512294_1.jpg.8d314ed98d47305515a0626b40e0bdee.jpg

then I started on the other end,  in a reverse pattern.

1080360095_2.jpg.5112bfff4dd2edfe97ae9157f4554012.jpg

I had to stain a couple small bunches of plank strips to get the job done.  all the edge trimming is done,  the single stairwell is done,  and I went over the deck with another application of stain to get rid of the nicks.   I do around the stair wells and holes later,  when they are all punched out.

879369723_3.jpg.4ff312c1e5523ffff2d3987983e3f1f3.jpg

320210310_4.jpg.b49b46626e1f7775492e3c437afe1cfb.jpg

1441241827_5.jpg.14ada231db32639203ef038d07b88eb9.jpg

I still need to do the edge banding too........all in good time though  ;)    I'm getting warmed back up to 'er.   more soon.....thanks for the good word all and thanks for the likes! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work denis,   that decking looks really nice.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1