Kate Cory by Richvee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64 - solid hull

Tryworks tools and lances.

I made the handles using a drawplate and running bamboo through it to about .03" or about 3" diameter. The strainer is made out of a thin brass ring and the base is a piece of styrene filed to fit. The holes are #78 drill bit. The lances are 32 gauge steel wire. The tips are just punched flat om an anvil and shaped a little with files. 

strianer.thumb.jpg.f050eab861e7bc55d042d5676d308e1a.jpg

lances.thumb.jpg.2c2fa27592366eaa0f728eeeb2a464fe.jpg

The bucket is also a piece of brass tube, and the "poker" laying across the cooper's bench was made out of a thin needle, with the eye cut opened and turned a bit to look like the tool in one of the above posts from New Bedford. 

tryworks_tools2.thumb.jpg.7c6156e85832e0fd5736d1bb89aa7858.jpg

Rich

Member - Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Current Build:  Pride of Baltimore 2

Finished: Kate Cory

Finished for now (Not rigged):  Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

More whalecraft....

whalestuff.jpg.4301dbfeda83f85a2d091374df965aa0.jpg

Here's some loaded in a boat. 

equiptboat1.jpg.10802e31ffa24220f1590a8ddf146245.jpg

equipt2.jpg.c158f449f82a4068f2226a878d611d7d.jpg

I still need the second line tub for each boat, and it looks like I have enough room under the forward 3 thwarts for a waif, and maybe a boat hook, and boat spade. 

Edited by Richvee

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes and looking in. Closing in on the finish line. The boats are loaded, and hung from the davits. The spare boat is also lashed to the tailfeathers. All that remains is the rope coils on the davits, and lashing those barrels to the rail.....If I decide to use those barrels. 

boatshung3.thumb.jpg.17d1a2d9ae2a90e95cec3716acb174de.jpg

About those barrels...I picked them up from an "S" scale website years ago when I ordered the brick for the tryworks. I've painted them, re painted them, tried drybrushing some "age" onto them, added a coat of dullcoat.... I'm not sure I like them. My wife says I need to make them look "worn". I said how much more worn can they look? I don't know.  Maybe I've been staring at them too long. Maybe they do look horrible. I need some honest opinions. 

barrels.thumb.jpg.95fc3ef2d99ac1180ea7e6e739d5bd21.jpg

babrrels2.thumb.jpg.d309354376fa79016fed294d9a2cafe2.jpg

My daughter will be visiting tomorrow. I hope she remembers her camera. I hope she can take some decent pictures for me. 

Happy holidays to everyone and thanks for checking in. The final product is real close now!!

boatshung2.jpg

Rich

Well, that about wraps it up. The following pictures were taken by my daughter with a better camera than I have, so I'll use them even though there's a few odds and ends that need to be finished when these shots were taken. Namely the barrels need to be lashed and rope coils needed on a few davits.

I purchased a case, for what I though was a reasonable price, from a gentleman who runs a site called Grandpa's cabinets. You can customize size, wood choice, and finish, and it comes complete with high quality plexiglass. Assembly is simple. I also purchased a nice, unfinished table that will serve as the display table. I'll post some final pictures when the table and case are set up. Right now I need to finish the new base, and I'm waiting on a nameplate that I ordered.  

Anyway, I really enjoyed this build. I think it's a sharp looking vessel, and I'm a little surprised how few KC's are on this site.  So it's my first completed ship build. (I'm not going to count the Taurus, and Benjamin W Latham I built almost 50 years ago as an early teen. I think the Taurus is still sitting around my mom's house, but the Latham is nowhere to be found. 

I learned a ton about model building, and whaling. It's been a great journey. Not only did this build lead me to this site, it lead me to a great club, The ship Model Society of New Jersey. 

I've taken advantage of Model Shipways end of season sale and picked up the Pride of Baltimore 2 for a50% off, so that's on it's way and will be the next project. 

Thanks to everybody who checked in, and for all the likes along the way. Special thanks to this site, as I would have never been able to complete some things without the help and knowledge of the members here. This place is a wealth of information and the contributors are great. . 

KC1.thumb.jpg.a1924953c1ff8b9d2fd867361133a5da.jpg

KC2.thumb.jpg.e06ee86e8af183d154b8f5b2baf3e506.jpg

KC3.thumb.jpg.3c00410f9beda7faadd12aa2a7d2e4e3.jpg

KC4.thumb.jpg.f9fe3ec382818b3affc9ba035144d617.jpg

KC6.thumb.jpg.ad9b88511c7f1ab0705830d5b1f47641.jpg

KC7.thumb.jpg.b522c8e3ef9c72c272c766aaaff0501c.jpg

Edited by Richvee

Rich

3 hours ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Any thoughts on possible next projects?

I have the Model Shipways Pride of Baltimore due to arrive in the mail any day. I’ve also ordered the rigging package for the Medway Longboat from Syren. I’ll probably start the POB, and somewhere in the middle take a break and rig the longboat. That should  take me through the next 4-5 years. 😃

I also have a vintage ( early1980’s) version of the 1/8” scale Essex. That is one daunting model and will require a ton of scratch building. That will stay the shelf for now. Thanks for looking in. 

Rich

Thanks for the likes.. I put the KC in it's case today. Amazing how the case gives it that extra something.. I think it looks pretty good!

KC_case1.thumb.jpg.7f03923e7c77f9808f74cad49f816696.jpg

KC_case3.thumb.jpg.767a70d5f88b83387142b4a1ec604aed.jpg

KC_case5.thumb.jpg.007f7a980f0fd7b5b9e2e6da7e5dd545.jpg

Rich

Beautiful job!  I've always liked this little whaler.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

42 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Beautiful job!  I've always liked this little whaler.

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure why it's not a more popular model. I guess it's the solid hull and the lure of the Morgan if you're going to build a whaler. 

Rich

Good question.  I think you're right about the solid hull or the availability of the Morgan as having something to do with it.  If I ever get through my stash of models, I was thinking of scratch building a weathered whaler like the Katy Cory - so much cool stuff you can do with all the whaling equipment.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Rich,

Great job on the Kate!  I have recently just restarted my build of her and your thread has been very inspirational and spurred me on.

The Morgan has always gotten the spotlight but to me, the KC had more visual appeal with nicer lines.  The other thing that is attractive about this kit is that it's the perfect size for my den and has the "right" level of sophistication for someone transitioning into wooden ship model kits from other forms of scale modeling.

Current Projects:

Kate Cory - Model Shipways - 1:64

1 hour ago, wemattson said:

Rich,

Great job on the Kate!  I have recently just restarted my build of her and your thread has been very inspirational and spurred me on.

The Morgan has always gotten the spotlight but to me, the KC had more visual appeal with nicer lines.  The other thing that is attractive about this kit is that it's the perfect size for my den and has the "right" level of sophistication for someone transitioning into wooden ship model kits from other forms of scale modeling.

Thanks for the kind words. I agree about the lines, and color scheme of the KC. Do you have a build log for your KC? I'd love to follow along. 

Rich

Mike, You're so right about all the things one can add. I had trouble figuring where to stop on adding to the whaleboats. Mine are missing so many things, but I think there's enough in there to catch your eye, then give it another look and notice a few more items. Like I've said, not only was this a real enjoyable build, I learned a ton about how a ship works, and more than a ton about whaling and the whaling industry of the 1800's. 

Rich

14 minutes ago, wemattson said:

Rich,

I do have a thread, which went dormant when I took a break.  I plan on giving it a bump it this week with a couple of pictures since I just finished coppering the bottom last weekend.

Cheers,

Wayne

LOL I actually have the last post on you build log... 2 1/2 years ago...No worries. Mine sat on the workbench for 27 years while I raised a family. Ironically I was at almost the same spot as you when it went into hibernation, except I had finished the rails and bulwarks. When I got back at it coppering was the first task. 

Rich

• 8 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me