Corsair by DCIronfist - FINISHED - OcCre - 1:80 scale (First wooden ship build)

Hello David

Glad to see your on your first build. Great to have a log to call your own isn't it? I see you everywhere on MSW.

On the bent keel. My old Swift kit was bent and either I didn't notice it or It bend after bulkhead attachment. Either way I righted it with one well placed block between 2 bulkheads. If the wetting and weighting/waiting doesnt work or the overbending like Augie suggested. My fix is in my log if you need a reference, of course the swift is much smaller.... but whatever the problem. It can be fixed.

Welcome to the Machine.

Pulling up a chair and watching. The block idea that Kieth posted should work if the overbend does not. Just make sure you put the blocks on both sides of the bulkhead former and i would put them between all of the bulkheads. Chech out some of the Syren builds for pics. The blocks staightened the bend in my former. Also be sure the blocks fit tight but do not push the bulkheads out of square

Current Build: US Brig Syren by Model Shipways

Previous Build: AL Swift

I know on my Swift there is no flat place on its deck. Its deck bows down toward the middle from the ends and then down from the center to the outer edge. Nice shape to flow the water off deck and out the scuppers. I'm not sure on the Corsair but imagine many decks are not flat.

Check the blueprint, that should of come with the kit, it should have a side profile and you can hold the ship up to it and check angles. Thats how I set the rake on my masts.

A little tough to tell from the photo what bow you refer to.  As a general statement the deck usually has a gentle curve when viewed from the side.  This curve will follow the sheer line of the hull so the low point is just about amidships.  Usually the scuppers or drains were placed there to allow any water to drain from the low point.

Also, most decks have a 'crown' at the center much like a highway.  That high point down the centerline allows any water to drain off to the sides of the deck and then out those same scuppers.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hey Keith----- looks like we beat that horse to death :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

David,

When you place the deck on the frames it get his own shape.

Be sure you put enough weight on it, so it touch every frame!

Better to many clamps then none.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Edited by Sjors

i used rubber bands to hold the deck to the bulkheads and keel :). i use them alot as they can boldly hold things where no clamps have clamped before

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Ive also found rubber band very useful. The big beefy one they strap around broccoli and asparagus at the store are great. I've also found that making a bunch of sizes of blocks and wedges out of balsa is another useful tool (balsa is great because it doesn't mark the wood as it is softer). You can use the block or wedge to direct the rubber bands force to just the spot needed.

Sometimes the rigging of a shaping or gluing clamp/band/tape down set up makes me understand why sailors were great physists. They really understood lever and pulley mechanics whether they knew it or not.

there is nothing better then experience. if you know all the formulas and can rattle them off by heart but dont know what they mean in the real world you have learned nothing.

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Will it go faster if I also wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY?

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

The pencil is usually put on the plank edge prior to gluing I believe. I didn't bother because I striped the wood planking on my swift. There are many ways to simulate the caulking and treenails also. Its always best to test things though....or even better have someone else test them :D

IIRC it was on the old MSW1 forum where someone used paper to simulate the caulk and blackened the paper with sharpie marker. During the finishing process the sharpie bled into the wood, the only certainty is uncertainty. but if it were easy everyone would be doing it. The important part is Have Fun! :dancetl6:

Nice job on the decking.

I believe creativity is something we all have. Some people just have a hard time giving themselves the option or permission of going out on a limb.

For me, I'm typically sitting on the limb I'm cutting. Tree trimming and flying lessons all in one. As you grow in this hobby, or any for that matter, you too will find your creative self, embrace it and allow your wildest imaginations to take control. Instructions are guidelines, For all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be....

Ok I actually glued the bulkheads on and glued the deck on after I scribbled on my lines. I have all my clamps holding right now. Pictures will be a couple more days not that there is much to see. I am not sure why things seem tobe moving slowly but may just be my theme of this build lol. I was nervous to put the glue on but what's the worst that can happen? Trying to put CA glue to hold the deck on was a bit challenging as there is not much time to get all glue down and deck on:) :)

David     :pirate41:

First Build: Corsair Brigantine

David, hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair as well, as another noob, I especially enjoy watching new folks get started because I know how frustrating some parts can be. I would hate for someone to get discouraged because every error is just another challenge to overcome. Looking great so far and waiting to see more pics of progress.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)