Santisima Trinidad by md1400cs – FINISHED - OcCre - 1/90 - cross-section - bashed

Working on this deck’s planks. Done here, open plank area to my liking, but thinking of adding some barrels at the back area (at least). Then onto the inner sidewall timbers, and lower gun deck framing as well as adding a lantern to the just finished area below. As always thanks for the posts and just dropping by.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.98236551cf0a9e36cbff55f8d724a97e.jpg2.thumb.jpg.792e36f05d257dc449b159e73b10e725.jpg3.thumb.jpg.bd645873caeb0675b074591e546ba45f.jpg4.thumb.jpg.bcfbf149e53cde0f323d18a6b7ffa96f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.83566dd7c901ac27ad5172977a04ed91.jpg6.thumb.jpg.7c65caccb0db934baf9890abcd0d0f60.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Oops,

forgot about adding a vertical brace between the hold and the orlop deck. OcCre asks for two, side by side. (not really looking at the instructions)

One is fine. I will add two as gun carriages add to weight. 

5afa10ca07226_IMG_9780(1).jpg.474b6dae486e309f4d8b27392272d8ae.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

coming along look'in great Michael :)   are you going to display it so both sides can be seen {front and back}?   if you are, you may be able to plank out the orlop deck a bit more.   this way,  if you plan on populating the deck,  you'll have more surface to put stuff on.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Denis: Thanks appreciated.

To your question, no I don’t plan on having the rear face visible for views. That said opening as much planking as possible is, for me, the key for this one.

PS: You know how some folks love tons of photos in frames - very visible for all to see in their homes – yup my Admiral –The Vasa took the place of many of those photos –She was real good about that. So, assuming I win a second real estate location war she will hang on a wall (hopefully within the home)

The case, framed in wood at its rear, will have Plexiglas on its three front sides. The Plexiglass R&L sides will not be wood framed allowing for a more open view. The rear face will be a burlap type of white/beige cloth (height and width of the entire rigged cross section {so tall and narrow}). Ship's sails will all be furled.

The wood base will include, on its under bottom the on/off switch battery holder. I want to keep the case as minimalist as possible (similar to the Vasa case). This case, however, will have a wood top. This is, by the way, way down the road – you will prob. complete building a fleet of ships before I even get to the mast shrouds of this one.

As always,

Cheers

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Really nice work Michael, very detailed.  I'd like to build a cross section kit but first I have to finish the Victory I am currently building. Your build inspires me even more to build one.

Robert

Hi MD.

Making a real nice progress.

Love the natural wood colour scheme.

On 15/05/2018 at 10:06 PM, md1400cs said:

To your question, no I don’t plan on having the rear face visible for views. That said opening as much planking as possible is, for me, the key for this one.

You could always put a mirror at the closed end. Will add loads more depth to the display. Bathroom mirror is quite thin and none breakable.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

As always.
Beautiful and detailed

Great work Michael

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Robert: Thanks for your kind words. Your Victory is looking very awesome. Your shipyard is also a “dream”. 

Your lantern technique sure is clever as well. Thanks for dropping by.

Anthony: Yes, that would be nice. Had not thought of that. But my stern side is very unkempt. Have paid little attention to that area (planks don’t quite align, LED wiring will wrap around vertical framing as well, treenails not added, etc,.) Thanks for the idea…I may re-consider.

Patrick: Thanks as well. I sure like the beak grids on your GH. !!

Started the lower gun deck (barely). Need to determine how much planking – do want to rig the carriages (at least three of them)

Also need to add barrels to orlop deck.As always mates, thanks for the likes and dropping by.

1.jpg.aab0a234a531bdc4f333bf47d808842c.jpg2.jpg.8cd33717e09f820047e3e823d45cee2b.jpg3.jpg.61e8f710e63b9382e2c628cb0fa1fc29.jpg4.jpg.c65198483ab9aeb8c7c4b6277909b3ce.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

looks very nice Michael :)   looking at the picture though,  you lost a little of the camber.   I'm sure that after the deck is locked in and the center posts are installed, you'll get it back  ;)   how much planking are you going to do on this deck?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thanks Michael,

Just a question. Do you go to install Knees ??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_(construction)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Denis: You may be right. I also now know, that the orlop decks are usually flat. These internal parts of ships are all new to me. That particular deck was to be water free. I also think, in retrospect, that caulking those planks may have also been unnecessary.  Still learning.

That said, its close (camber)– but the camber of my installed orlop deck has actually too much.  Should have been flat I think?

After fitting more gun deck planks (amount to be determined) and installing carriages I may add shims to the deck frames to increase the camber just a tad of the lower gun deck.

Patrick: Yes I intend on adding knees. I did not for the orlop deck, OcCre did not, and many drawings that I have seen did not either. It was a mixed decision.

Both gun decks will indeed have knees, as well as the horizontal side braces that I will add. May need to play with the kit provided knees  they are all ply-board bits. May just make some up. Though I must say the kit bits are a perfect fit.

The last photo is my guide. Notations had been made previously.

Thanks for your comments mates.

Cheers,

IMG_9794.jpg.ee977f3797e2d7907047053e64b80821.jpg5b05a4953c4a1_IMG_9798copy.jpg.71e82516c11635317d6188bd1760fa46.jpg5b05a4993e546_14copy.thumb.jpg.1d7ea534392348a18ef57ad043ee21b0.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Patrick: 

Yes I intend on adding knees. I did not for the orlop deck, OcCre did not, and many drawings that I have seen did not either. It was a mixed decision.

Greetings from a concerned Patrick that panicked a bit to early. ;) :P

Regards, Patrick

see......cameras lie.........!   in that picture,  it looks just right :huh:   I'll just go mix some spotted paint............. ^_^

it's Ok Patrick,   you commented on what wasn't there yet.........I commented on what was there already!

Edited by popeye the sailor
added text

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Cameras are our own best friends and worst enemies all at once. While they can help us see those imperfections that are often overlooked with the naked eye to help us improve a build, they can also make us think that there are problems where there are none or make a minor one seem major.

As always, excellent work. This has really been pushing at me to start working on the plans for my scratch build cross section of La Couronne. Your work continues to inspire! :D

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the comments I always appreciate your suggestions, critical eyes and help mates. E.J Yes that would be an excellent next project for you indeed. We all inspire each other don't we! - you inspired me to add lighting :)

Small info. update.

Had such good luck with the 0.5 mm lead using it as the cleats for inside wall timbers, thought about using smaller 0.3 lead for the deck treenails.

Wanted to get brown lead, but only red and other in-appropriate colors are available, so black it is.

Tried the 0.5s too large and out of scale for these tiny planks IMO.

I think that that "is it" with lower gun deck planks - no mas

Also ordered a 0.2mm pencil from Japan – never know may be useful one day.

Regard,

1.jpg.f4cff02c349d1b4faea6b6a92cb545dd.jpg2.jpg.0f7f5d26189f7432225dee3fd94a4338.jpg3.jpg.f4b72d4165d5c2d9ae16bb49aa51bf6f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.c2ed2147da6d1711ab6a7e63cb4a0ee6.jpg6.thumb.jpg.fe70d2e816a9cf67fd01844df83b1b43.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Minor update. Added a bit of cargo to the orlop deck. Need to prob tie down those two large barrels as well.

Now moving on to fabricating needed gun carriages. Kit furnished carriages in a single metal piece. Prefer to

build wood ones.

I do like the kit included cannons. Had several of the crested guns left over from Vasa days. May go for those brass ones

If I decide to use kit guns will need to re-work the rear portion of the carriages a bit, and of course, air brush the guns black.

As always thanks...

Regards,

1.jpg.851f8a763eb00579b295ad04b244eb89.jpg2.jpg.9649b3b1c6adb18a7ad28c1f8c717233.jpg3.thumb.jpg.040f35f4237052fcc4892e89750cc2f1.jpg5b107db3a0dd7_4copy.jpg.4ffbd38a09e705f741d3ee3c900066a6.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Not an update. Shipyard has been very part-time for a week or so +. Now returning to same task, working on carriages.

These won’t have as much detail included as those from my Vasa, but for at least the “front row” they need to be a bit more detailed (weather deck will get all the details that I can manage)

Posting some obvious info, but could be helpful to members new to our hobby that might drop by.

As always Mates thanks for comments, likes and just dropping by.

Regards,

IMG_9840.thumb.jpg.d82f9e8d76c4b3542964faa731b98462.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

cannons are coming along nicely.    very nice :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

"Bravo"... Michael on another outstanding!!  build.. you are definitely headed to the "Dark Side" :P

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Have been silent for a while. The Admiral needed to be hospitalized for several days – all ok now- And I then needed shoulder surgery, so L arm is braced in a immovable frame, so internet life has been limited to just looking. Today I can today actually type (SO happy that remote control hand still worked)

Thanks for all the likes and super nice comments from my last post. My shipyard will stay closed for the next few weeks, but now I can catch up and post likes and comment for the builder’s logs that I so enjoy following.

Cheers everybody !

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

glad to hear you and the misses is on the mend.  take time to recover....the model will wait patiently {after all.......it's made of wood  ;) }     glad your back!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry to hear of the troubles but it is good to hear you are both doing well. Hope everything continues to improve and we'll be here wishing for the best and ready to rejoin you when you are all healed up!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Good to hear you are ok.

Get well soon for both of you

Regards, Patrick

Thanks mates for all the get better thoughts.

Mark :(  - yes it will take a while -also needed to have tendon repair. The most, for a month, uncomfortable bit

is having to wear that hard framed sling 24/7 precluding any unwanted movement during "sleep" haha....

Admiral is back to 100% - though she is not happy about now having to throw the trash overboard - that was my job. :default_wallbash:

Ronald noted - you are, of course, still very welcomed aboard. There are several excellent full version builds of this ship here at MSW, though I'm sure that you know already.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -