Santisima Trinidad by md1400cs – FINISHED - OcCre - 1/90 - cross-section - bashed

Mark - thanks for the nice words, Ferit and Mark; FYI

Mates thanks for the likes as well 

These are aftermarket. The Occre kit included parrels are also metal and glass. Discovered these when I needed sets for my last build. Excellent !!

Beads are wood and available in double or triple. The only thing that needs to be done is enlarging the holes for the dividers with a small drill bit (beads a just jine)

dividers are soft plastic and accept drilling very easily. The included thread is IMO much too thin and out-of-scale.

size and SKU numbers are all you need. Got these from Cornwall - certainly widely available elsewhere as well.

IMG_0938.jpg.f6729322cdf74e75257fcbca502b83ad.jpg

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

It had been written as size, 10 mm and 6 mm.

Do those sizes belong to parrel beads or spacers? I need this info because I am looking for them of 2 mm of diameter. And are they wooden spacers?

Thank you...

Edited by Ferit

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit,

This is a better photo. regarding spacers see my notes just above.

IMG_0939.thumb.jpg.506ba5b3298f8c5b3184f6ad1bc5d884.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

checking in to see you've made some seriously nice progress on the rigging :)   your sails looks awesome as well!  thanks for the head's up on the parrel beads too........I've been using these tiny black ones.  they are not consistent in size,  but they pass muster for the scale I use them on.   superb work your doing!  I don't do enough soldering either........guess I'll need to kick myself into doing it too ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

On 11/11/2019 at 1:51 PM, md1400cs said:

EJ,

You are always so kind thanks indeed.

BUT - I can only claim very little with these sails

Yes: I bought the material, steeped the cloth in black tea, cut the paper patterns from kit provided sails, had an "idea" on how they should look  -- that's about it

Then went to the same sewing sewing school that I used for the Vasa sails. There I was totally immersed in my teachers step-by-step instructions

An YES without her complete assistance and that brilliant computer machine - well you know the rest haha 

Here are the step-by-steps that I used.

Cheers,

1.jpg.cbf283a83d8b978970a300068748b8c4.jpg2.jpg.d99015bd311916fccee5bea4a6bf2401.jpg3.thumb.jpg.4492b8001a4c826c1588e01a4793f5b7.jpg4.jpg.88528d99e84474626e19fa2781b72b4f.jpg5.thumb.jpg.bd3548bd8e81844ac6d71eed2a790d45.jpg6.thumb.jpg.d014e084dbccc2b9aa445a0606cdedc3.jpg7.jpg.ffc4dc5e533fa9f453e31e6fa19fb416.jpg8.jpg.2e68d5828e03e4ce1e9a794a02a9c7f1.jpg

I need some pants hemmed!

Rick 😎

Neophyte Shipwright

Wisdom:  When all else fails, read the instructions!

Michael,

Nice sewing instructions!

Not too late to stitch the top around the edges by hand :) 

I did this on my Vasa build, but yes, very time consuming Lol!

Is that your sewing machine? or is it from the sewing school you mentioned above?

It looks very complicated and expensive!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Frank

Frank, Yes, I did go to the sewing class to use the machine - And yes - not cheap think about $1,400.00 USD

Lazy Saint - thanks again - for your very nice thoughts.

Been away for a week or so - need to get back to the shipyard......

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael, just been through your build, lovely work.  I can see that you go that extra mile to bring out that detail which makes a model stand out. In my opinion that extra effort you make to perfect the details as much as possible, which is not easy when working on such scale, makes all the difference on the finished model. My next project after I finish my current one, which is still quite a long way, might be a cross section model.  I love the detail that can go into it. 

Robert

Robert,

Thanks so much for your super kind thoughts - much appreciated. A cross section was/is, for me, a great exercise in new learning. How these ships looked, and how they were built from within 

has been lots of fun putting it together.  My intent was to only build a representative example - I now see many areas that are not actually correct - As we all know, we are our own worst critics. 

Your skill set would be great for a cross section, especially for adding details  - In fact, as you know there are several Victory cross-sections available. The DeAgostini Victory - seems to be the most accurate example. It would look great alongside  your superb current Victory build.

Regards,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

12 hours ago, md1400cs said:

- In fact, as you know there are several Victory cross-sections available. The DeAgostini Victory - seems to be the most accurate example.

I am so buying that model.

Current building

Santisima trinidad cross section - Occre - 1:90

Finished

Bounty Boat - OCCRE - 1:24

• 1 month later...

Hi Mates,

Minor updates – been away, and decided to also give the shipyard a rest, but did manage to do a bit more recently.

1) Attached the top sail to its yard along with adding needed blocks.

2) Attached the shrouds and deadeyes to the  lower platform

3) Now fixing into place the lantern wires.

note the backside is NOT “finished”. The ship will be fitted into a clear three sided case, hung on a wall and only be seen from the front and to some extent the sides; so not an issue.

Will, later, do some lateral detailing to even the side edges a bit more uniformly 

Adding needed extra lengths of electrical wires and then hiding them along the sides.  

Goop is perfect – it also serves as a sealant for the otherwise exposed connected wire twists. I thought of soldering the connections, but thought that it might create too much

resistance especially when all the wires will then attach to a single battery. AND did not want ro risk melting these super tiny wires. gggrrrrr. 

FYI: purchased all of the lights and wires from Evan Designs (one of our retail sponsors)

Here are a few images -- as always thanks for dropping by….

1.jpg.5a248c99406f43e2be5eac1c3f211673.jpg2.thumb.jpg.a5852c4065528750564ca7bb3ab8a1f6.jpg3.thumb.jpg.09225bdbd33378f85307aebd650cf354.jpg4.thumb.jpg.ec7290bb3b14644ce1855a4738544c73.jpg5.jpg.4cee3796ad98c35fcd0b169c75c0a463.jpg6.thumb.jpg.38e4c187a156e839b9649a3b27c14357.jpg7.thumb.jpg.e4ab1bfdae4db767b8b09597a9ef03e4.jpg8.thumb.jpg.8d06b3387e5ec0795160f695775f62de.jpg9.jpg.9501cddec12f99733af19866b7658bf2.jpg10.thumb.jpg.2bde27d7a912399e1b9e3c520be5629e.jpg11.thumb.jpg.7978489b66e8c74645fbcfeef461ee42.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

The Lazy Saint, thank so much for your very kind thoughts – so appreciated.

Continuing with the lantern wiring, all secured into place, and the nine lanterns still light – big relief.  Finished the back part of the base. The wires will be well hidden that way.

To do; need to unspool the red and green wires then segregate them within those two heat-shrink tubing bits. I may solder them together along with the on/off switch.

I will have a better sense of that after the case has been made.

Next – Back to lower yard to attach all the needed clew, bunt, leech lines, and securing yard to mast before working on lower shrouds and ratlines.

1.thumb.jpg.afdc7d47900e5c5405aaecf313298440.jpg2.jpg.27cb68a9e98f4d7f19d1213c381d3769.jpg3.jpg.740c48a200a7acc4f823a35ab88ec2bf.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

eeeeyouza!  quite a jumble of wires you got there :)   looks very good Michael!   are you going to cover the back frame to hide them?  splendid model! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That is indeed a tangle of wires, a situation I fully understand as the aft cabins of my S.R. build hide a jumble of them as well. Well done routing them in such a small space. I'm still trying to figure out how I am going to run the wires through the display case to the switch also. I am thinking about creating a tube through the cradle itself to get it below the case's base. Once there, I can turn them and run to the switch with relative ease.... :rolleyes:

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Great work

So many electrical wires, and everything connected correctly. 

If I have to do this,  a short circuit right away... :blush:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Denis: thanks, as always for dropping by and your kind posts. The plan, as it seems “today”, will be the following; see pics (case will hang flush against a wall and have a wood top cover as well.) – Location HAS been determined – but Admiral has not yet been notified - Might become a diplomatic mess haha

E.J.: Yes, this is a new area for both of us. Mine will be simpler than yours. Your idea seems promising. BTW you were the one who made me think about adding lights, and, I think that you were following my Vasa you decided to try adding  sails as well (;-))) PS: they look great!

Patrick: Yes, initially making the lantern housings, adding the LED’s and so on were the easy parts. This current bit is what got me a bit nervous. If some lights did not work – it would have been too late to go back within the decks to do fixes. Got lucky – so far.

Cheers,

1.thumb.jpg.6e656918ac538e971ceaa26ef39834a9.jpg2.thumb.jpg.7d304850ea62f1eeaceefb6bd870ef9a.jpg3.thumb.jpg.09d6a5ea890be5eb9fece65cbd02a40b.jpg4.thumb.jpg.a514b974607b974131cb2313c468f6cf.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Masa, so nice - happy that you found the build to your interest - thanks indeed

Finished up this work for now - will determine proper length after base of case has been finished. Returning to the Vasa for some fixes.

As always thanks so much for dropping by, Likes and comments

Regards,

1.jpg.caaf6b52126d2d50db3a466248c73a0c.jpg2.thumb.jpg.45ea49d2fe0886d86ee705a8dc0af349.jpg3.thumb.jpg.7c6d20aae1e816bdebfa41049e59a142.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Such and  Amazing build  - Your craftsmanship and eye for detail  is Outstanding.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

The Lazy Saint: Thanks yes the Rum was just perfect

Frank: The case will hopefully turn out more subdued on a wall - I intend to hang it in a corner area of our small bar area.

Richard: Thanks so much as well - Your work is beyond excellent so much appreciated - thanks so much for all the likes - yikes :imNotWorthy:

OC: My current skills and eyes for details were learned here following builders that are amazing, and in so doing

trying to copy their skills, also trying to improve my work. Still learning - that never ends from what I'm told - haha

Taking a small break -re-installing the needed new stern lantern from my last build (Vasa) - almost done 

Cheers

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

it looks wonderful Michael........the lighting really does the job :)   great idea on her display too........I'm sure your admiral will agree ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 1 month later...

Hi Mates,

The results (for this part of the build) are less than what I wanted to achieve; with the deadeyes attached to the shrouds do I really see my errors. The laniards are not tight enough “looking” – as they come through the deadeyes, and the ropes also angle out incorrectly. 

Yes, I could have used thinner ropes, but the next available size down looked too thin. After looking at many museum examples, I felt that the ropes that I used look just about right. So- first two images are what I should have done.

The other images reflect the work up-to-date: I’m very ok with the shrouds, middle and end seizings along with how the laniards are secured to their shrouds. PS: Some of the lower deadeyes are angled badly – when I attach the ratlines I’ll do slight shroud twists here and there.

Also mainsail clew, leech and bunt lines have been attached. Sheet lines to follow after topmast yard is finished up.

Thanks for dropping - as always – Stay well everyone.

1.thumb.jpg.d106f1350246424e2e44f5dcb8ef4762.jpg2.jpg.d1b8dd64e4d8dabf6fb5eb1636161dd5.jpg3.thumb.jpg.dbd4642d8a65ba837dba885c0f197157.jpg4.thumb.jpg.b0c4f702efe87192f2294840cb34d906.jpg5.thumb.jpg.5ab9fe0e3ffddb13c75ef240db1651ce.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

looks great Michael :)   it's hard to get them all to face forward.......I think they look fine.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: