HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD - FINISHED

Apparently Halinski have supplied one hull skin that is 1mm wider than it should be. This skin is the one that is straight all the way across, and is at the widest point of the hull. No mention about this was in the instructions - I picked up on it when I dry-fitted it. This allows for any slight error when skinning, and needs to be trimmed to width. I moved to the stern and started skinning from there, and will finish on the wide skin.

The stern section has turned out very well, NO filler needed anywhere :) :

Aft Hull Skins (4).JPG

Aft Hull Skins (3).JPG

Aft Hull Skins (2).JPG

Aft Hull Skins (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

All the red lower skins are now fitted. They are about 98% OK, just some slight misalignment on a couple which is easily fixed :). In the 2nd pic below you can see about half of the longitudinal bulkhead below the skin. This needed to be trimmed flush with the edge of the skin, it took me about 2 hours to do all the affected areas :

Hull Skins (17).JPG

Hull Skins (16).JPG

Hull Skins (15).JPG

I've done some final trimming etc in readiness for the upper skins. I've also fitted the "teak" sections of the main decks. These fitted perfectly :) :

Main Decks (1).JPG

Main Decks (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Danny ,

the red underwater hull looks beautiful, the lines come out very well......

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

On 3/22/2018 at 3:47 AM, Dan Vadas said:

There is some unfortunate printing on the lower skins. The difference in colours is quite evident here :

Perhaps a little feedback to Halinski is in order?  I am sure that as they appreciate favorable reviews on their products,  maybe they would also like being informed of the shortcomings of their products.  Most of the good companies usually do.  As you have mentioned they seem to have otherwise put out a great kit.  I would send them your photos indicating the obvious error!

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Feedback will likely do little good. The reason for that is that these companies tend to do a single print run of the product, and when that is sold out, that's pretty much all she wrote. Off the top of my head I don't know of any instances in which Halinski has done a reprint. They do, though, offer corrected parts, but these are printed as part of some subsequent offering of a different subject. Not exactly convenient, but that's the way they do it.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Perhaps a little feedback to Halinski is in order?  I am sure that as they appreciate favorable reviews on their products,  maybe they would also like being informed of the shortcomings of their products.  Most of the good companies usually do.  As you have mentioned they seem to have otherwise put out a great kit.  I would send them your photos indicating the obvious error!

I doubt it was Halinski's fault, more likely the company that printed it for them got it wrong. Until two sections of hull were actually glued together it was impossible to see any difference in the colours.

45 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

Off the top of my head I don't know of any instances in which Halinski has done a reprint.

According to their website they are about to release several reprints, one of Bismarck, in the near future.

Cheers, Danny

Cheers, Danny

Dan, I go away for a few days and come back to see you're already well into your build....you sure are keen! I've pulled up a seat (not quite front row but near enough). Look forward to another lesson on card build.

Cheers............Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

nice job on the hull bottom Danny.......at least you won't have to deal with the decks being off shaded  ;)    looks very good!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Fernando and Popeye :).

6 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice job on the hull bottom Danny.......at least you won't have to deal with the decks being off shaded  ;)    looks very good!  

Very true Popeye. The aft deck is in two sections, and the join (halfway through the aft turret) is almost invisible to the eye where it's been printed :).

Danny

Cheers, Danny

" I've done some final trimming etc in readiness for the upper skins. I've also fitted the "teak" sections of the main decks. These fitted perfectly :) : "

What did you expect else, with your wood skills - as show in Vulture :D :D :D

Those hull pieces do fit quite well ... you can always say the paint cans were from different batches when someone starts on the "50 shades red" ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

3 hours ago, Dan Vadas said:

Thank you Fernando and Popeye :).

Very true Popeye. The aft deck is in two sections, and the join (halfway through the aft turret) is almost invisible to the eye where it's been printed :).

Danny

I had to do a similar thing with my stick down wood sheet deck on my Warspite as it was slightly too short compared to the hull, I  made my join/gap in the center between superstrucer blocks.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks guys :).

Fitting the forward Hawses proved to be a bit of a problem. This is the first mistake in the kit that I've found - the parts for the internal holes have been printed back-to-front. The reason for the mistake is probably due to the fact that these parts need to be rolled in the opposite direction to virtually every other rolled pieces, something that Halinski must have overlooked :

Hawse Holes (3).JPG

The two main holes weren't a problem, as I simply switched them left-to-right. The third hawse hole fortunately has a cover over it (it must have been removed if the 3rd hawse was needed). Here are a couple of pics of one of the hawses :

Hawse Holes (1).JPG

Hawse Holes (2).JPG

To fix the 3rd hawse I first rolled it and glued the join. Then I cut it in half and turned the upper part 90 degrees and glued it back together. It didn't fit perfectly (I was probably a couple of degrees out) but as the top section can't be seen it doesn't matter :) :

Hawse Holes (4).JPG

The hawses fitted. No filler needed :) :

Hawse Holes (5).JPG

Hawse Holes (6).JPG

Hawse Holes (8).JPG

Hawse Holes (7).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Thank you Carl.

I've made and fitted all the Prop Shaft Housings and also the Shafts, which are rolled around a 2.5mm brass tube for strength. These have turned out much straighter and stronger than any I made previously. I've also cut and edge painted all the aft housing supports :

Prop Housings and Shafts (1).JPG

Prop Housings and Shafts (3).JPG

Prop Housings and Shafts (2).JPG

Prop Housings and Shafts (4).JPG

Prop Housings and Shafts (5).JPG

While I was working in that area I thought it a good idea to also make the Rudder :

Rudder (1).JPG

Rudder (2).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Guest Riccardo1966

Hello Dan,

I have been looking at some of your previous card builds, they are superb, I did not realize how very good these models can be and will pull up a chair for this one.

Regards

Richard

Thank you David, and welcome to the build Richard. Yeah, it's pretty amazing what they can do with Card in these days of Computer Design :).

Continuing on, and some of these pics are probably out of build sequence but I've grouped some of them together to make it a bit easier to follow.

I've fitted the rudder and made it moveable, a trick in itself when it came to fitting it as I'd glued on one piece that I shouldn't have yet. I had to partially remove the lower guard to slip the 1.0mm wire pivot wire past it, but all was good in the end and no damage was caused :

Rudder (4).JPG

Rudder (5).JPG

Rudder (6).JPG

I've also fitted the prop shafts. Some of the housing supports were numbered incorrectly, and I had to remove and refit them to align them properly. Again no big deal, they fit perfectly now :). I'll make and fit the propellers late in the build to avoid damaging them :

Prop Shafts Fitted (3).JPG

Prop Shafts Fitted (2).JPG

Prop Shafts Fitted (4).JPG

Prop Shafts Fitted (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

One of the more difficult steps in this build is an Edge Strip that runs around the whole perimeter of the hull. It needs to be laminated to some 0.25mm card and is only 1mm wide for most of it's length, so cutting it required some degree of care. The pic below is of the pieces needed for one side of the hull :

Edge Strips (2).JPG

Edge Strips (3).JPG

The forward section of the strip protrudes above the deck, so I've left it off for now until the hull is completed to avoid an accident. Below are a couple of pics of the strip fitted :

Edge Strips (5).JPG

Edge Strips (4).JPG

Another tricky bit were the Bilge Keels. These are in a triangular shape, rather than the flat back-to-back keels of my previous models. I glued the outer edges together first :

Bilge Keels (2).JPG

The keels fitted. They came out really well :). Also seen in the pics below is what I assume to be a Rubbing Strip. It's at the widest part of the hull, so my guess is it was needed to avoid damage to the hull when berthing :

Bilge Keels (1).JPG

Bilge Keels (3).JPG

The final piece of the underwater part of the hull is a Paravane Fairlead at the bow :

Paravane Fairlead.JPG

The hull is now complete and can be turned right-way-up for the remainder of the build.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Looking very good,   so much commanality between hood and warspite with the position of the props.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC :).

On 06/04/2018 at 7:41 AM, Old Collingwood said:

so much commanality between hood and warspite with the position of the props.

Not surprising, as they were built within a few years of each other. Hood was commisioned in 1920, and Warspite was a bit earlier, launched in 1915.

I've made a start on the lower superstructure, almost completing both forward and aft sections. The aft section is fairly straight-forward :

Aft First Superstructure (2).JPG

I've used the PE doors that I bought from Halinski, as the printed ones had almost no detail :

Doors (1).JPG

The PE ones make up for that, consisting of two pieces for each door. The outer surround has the watertight catches etched into them, a good facsimilie of the "real thing" :

Doors (2).JPG

Doors (3).JPG

Aft First Superstructure (1).JPG

These are only in primer, I need to buy a few jars of various greys.

The forward section makes up for the simplicity of the aft one. Ins and outs everywhere :D. I added a lot of extra card to the basic framing :

Forward First Superstructure (2).JPG

The walls consist of three sections. Some thought had to go into which way to fold them. The last pic shows one wall ready to be fitted :

Forward First Superstructure (3).JPG

Forward First Superstructure (1).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

I recommend these dan,   I use them on my Warspite  and understand they are  authentic colors  for Hood aswel.:)

OC.

post-7946-0-43315500-1435435643.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks OC. I've already checked the colour scheme for Hood at the time of her fatal encounter with Bismarck, and she was painted Admiralty Dark Gray all over. I have some on it's way already. Unfortunately the shop I'm using didn't have it in Lifecolor brand. I wonder how Meng goes on, never heard of it before.

Danny

Cheers, Danny

Danny,

Masterly work with the propshaft housings, the shaft supports and the rudder blade....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

lovely work Dan, those superstructures look like wood in the pictures

regards

Paul

The clerk of the cheque's yacht of sheerness

Current build HMS Sirius (1797) 1:48 scratch POF from NMM plans

HMS Winchelsea by chuck 1:48

Cutter cheerful by chuck 1:48

Previous builds-

Elidir - Thames steam barge

Cutty Sark-Billings boats

Wasa - billings boats

Among others 😁

nice progress Danny.......structures look great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks again Nils, Paul and Popeye :).

There are a lot of Reels of various sizes and types to be made. These ones will be hardly seen, as they are inside the lower superstructure but I'm fitting all of them anyway.

Each is made from 4 pieces of PE with a card spool. The two supports are about 1.5mm high, and the rim is 2.5mm in diameter :

Reels (2).JPG

Reels (1).JPG

The first 9 of a myriad of small boxes. I made a jig to help hold them while the glue dried. A piece of card underneath the piece prevents any damage when I push it out of the jig with the piece of 1mm wire :

Lockers (1).JPG

I glued a strip of thin paper around the inside to help hold the corners :

Lockers (4).JPG

Lockers (3).JPG

Lockers (2).JPG

Danny

Cheers, Danny

That jigg must save some time, and frustration! Makes it worthwhile to invest the time. Your deck furniture is growing steadily ... curious as to what else you have in store for us ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

17 hours ago, cog said:

That jig must save some time, and frustration! Makes it worthwhile to invest the time.

Not a lot of time saved Carl, but certainly a lot less frustration :D.

I was wondering why the kit's instructions suggested making a few seemingly unrelated pieces as the next few steps, until I looked at where they go on the deck. It would be very difficult to fit some of them after the next deck goes on ;).

First of these are 6 Ventilators. They consist of a round top (I punched them out), and a strip that needs to be rolled around a wire. This was very fiddly to do until I used the self-closing tweezers to hold the wire :

Ventilators (1).JPG

Ventilators (2).JPG

Next up were a couple of Bollards. I decided to make all of them while I had everything set up.

Rolling the 26 pipes was looking like being another frustrating exercise until I came up with the idea of using one of my CA applicator needles to roll them. This worked great, I could do one in under a minute compared to 5 or 6 minutes trying to roll the first one by hand :

Bollards (8).JPG

I wasn't sure how they were going to come out, so I stopped rolling them with the needle after I'd gone about halfway and then roll the rest by hand - a bad mistake, this was difficult :

Bollards (7).JPG

I rolled the next one all the way on the needle. EXCELLENT :). A drop of glue 5mm from the finish and then roll it out is all it takes to hold them tightly :

Bollards (5).JPG

Bollards (6).JPG

The bits for about 12 bollards :

Bollards (4).JPG

I glued them together on some double-sided tape :

Bollards (3).JPG

All of them done in about 2 hours total time :

Bollards (1).JPG

Bollards (2).JPG

Cheers, Danny

2 hours for such beautiful work..... I'd take 2 days just to stress out how to make it look as good as yours Danny😎

Great detail and great instructions as usual.

Cheers Fernando  :cheers:

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36