Dan Vadas

HMS Hood by Dan Vadas - Halinski - 1:200 - CARD - FINISHED

catching up on the fantastic work you've been doing.........I'm in awe!   the rigging looks great and the deck fittings are as well.   I've always known the anchor hawse,  as a chain gate.   are the boarding ladders on even when the ship is underway ?   I've got 'em for a couple of my builds,  and I'm not sure if I should add them or not.   I also thought they were removable.

first rate job Danny!   really nice work  :) 

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

are the boarding ladders on even when the ship is underway ?   I've got 'em for a couple of my builds,  and I'm not sure if I should add them or not.   I also thought they were removable.

I think they are permanently mounted, but get raised to deck level when needed. They could probably be removed altogether if needed, for instance if they had the time before battle.

Danny

Those ladders (actually, they are called 'accommodation ladders' in modern parlance) are not so permanent :)  In newer ships (this century or so) they are designed to be raised and then the outer side tilted up to sit flush with the rails; or in even newer ships to be recessed into specially designed housings.  Prior to that, and I am talking even up to the 1990s, the ladders were made in parts (upper and lower platforms, ladder steps, and rails and support arm with tackle and topping lift) would be dismantled and stowed away in dedicated brackets (usually fitted close to or on the superstructure screens) as close to their place of use as possible.  In these ships there was usually only the one accommodation ladder and it was rigged as needed on the side required.

This type of ladder was usually part of a suite of ladders that included the Jacob's ladder (rope/wire with wood rungs) used for very temporary jobs,  what was called a 'mediterranean ladder' which was a vertical ladder usually made from aluminum (metal at least), and the accommodation ladder.  

Hope this helps clarify?

cheers

Pat

Here are the pics of the finished model :

Finished (7).JPG

Finished (6).JPG

Finished (5).JPG

Finished (4).JPG

Finished (3).JPG

Finished (2).JPG

Finished (1).JPG

I'm taking a break from building ships for a while. My next project is a free download of a Card model - a vintage Yamaha YA-1 motorbike. I'll put up some pics of my progress in Shore Leave.

Danny

Did i not say to you, its going to take you around 6months? After the motorbike, get your hands on one of the Shipyard models. Id recomend Santa Leocadia. Shipyard does edition called SuperPlans. You get your formers and majority of decor all laser cut and engraved. But it also leaves plenty of room for scratch. As you dont get all these parts preprinted, you have to do them yourself. 

It would look very nice. I am getting courage to start mine...

and also, i cannot wait for someone to beat Doris’s work...

Hi all,

Just some latest news about my model of HMS Hood - she took out "Best in Show" at the annual Port Macquarie Model Show. I took the half-finished model there last year, this year it was of course finished. I also took all the Card models I've built since then. A couple of pics of the show will follow tomorrow when I get home.

Cheers, Danny