Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

612WQGYs57L._SL1002_.jpg

 

Well, this is quite something for me.....the first build log on Model Ship World V2.0. My last work was published on the old version about 12yrs ago. My apologies for being so tardy. Over the last years I've been busy working with plastic models and magazine publication stuff, and whilst I still have some commitments left to fulfil, I thought I'd dust off (quite literally) my 1/80 Caldercraft Mary Rose kit. Thirteen winters and summers haven't warped the old frame and she's still rock solid. I started building this one year before I launched Model Ship World in 2006, along with Chuck Passaro. 

 

It's about time I did something. 

 

The basic frame is built and the decking is in place under the fo'c'sle and sterncastle decks. It's also under half an inch of dust, so I need to clean this thing up. Glad I bought it when I did. The price is about £100 more nowadays! 

 

I don't intend to leave it as plain as shown in the finished model photo. Instead, It'll be full of red, gold and green in the same way that the Anthony Rolls depicted her in the 1540s. 

 

AnthonyRoll-2_Mary_Rose_cropped.jpg

 

Over the next months, my time on this will be very limited, but I'm at least hoping to get the hull planked and sounded outdoors during the summer months.

 

Has anyone else here built this kit?

 

DSC08034.JPG

DSC_7600.JPG

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm interested in this one, too. I'm hoping for an update. I was very disappointed to see that Billings canned its plan to produce a kit modeled on the Geoff Hunt paintings. I'm not sure which version is more accurate, but I like the big, old-style forecastle as depicted in the Anthony Role. A lot like the Great Harry, which was one of my favorite Pyro kits when I was a kid. I'd love to see how a colorful version of this kit turns out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I am in Portsmouth as of 19th May, so will be at the museum to check up on gun carriages etc... if you want any info whilst I am there give me a shout on here..:)

 

Before I start my build log, I spotted a double sheet of ply for one deck and the rear deck sheet missing... I would like to thank both Jotika and Stockton modeller for an extremely fast response to get me the missing sheet. Can't beat a good customer service!

 

I have started building a cannon or two to stave off the boredom, and got the frames dry fitted together until the last sheet arrives. the rear gun support seems to direct the false cannon barrel through the rear bulkhead, need to take a look at that..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chidokan said:

I am in Portsmouth as of 19th May, so will be at the museum to check up on gun carriages etc... if you want any info whilst I am there give me a shout on here..:)

 

Absolutely! Yes please :) 

When I was last there, the Mary Rose was still being sprayed with no museum as such. There were some artefacts out, but not too many.

 

Looking forward to your build log. I'm hoping to get some timber on this model as the weather gets better and I can sand the hull outside.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 4/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, Chidokan said:

build log started... the new museum is brilliant, worth a trip as its all dry, with the ship on one side and what was found in each area more or less opposite, nice cabin representations of the carpenter and purser from memory ( which is why I am going again...)

I'll be at the Mary Rose museum myself in early(ish) August. A great opportunity to get plenty of reference material for when this one starts again. Last time I saw her she was still being sprayed with polyethylene-glycol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

G'day everyone,

Have built the Mary Rose once already, from the Jokita kit but without any amendment. 

 

However per the Anthony Roll it doesnt look right.

Am now researching a second build but with added castles and netting (and anything else that looks accurate to add to the basic kit).

Plenty of evidence now that she had extra forecastles and summer castles with detailed drawings to explain the options.    Also the Trust finding the stem (the forward keel up to the deck) means that all the curves of the hull can now be accurately mapped based on contemporary ship builder standard relationships of depth of hull to width depending on total length.

 

So I'm looking at the kit plans and the books and sketching how it might be done.  A new box on another box approach built separately then fitted looks good (so far), intending to fit off the normally removable kit frames.   All the added gun ports/half moon shape and the pavises will be tricky however to produce a standard shape. Plus added guttering for each added deck.

 

Not to familiar with how the site works so excuse any errors.

coldgold

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, coldgold said:

G'day everyone,

Have built the Mary Rose once already, from the Jokita kit but without any amendment. 

 

However per the Anthony Roll it doesnt look right.

Am now researching a second build but with added castles and netting (and anything else that looks accurate to add to the basic kit).

Plenty of evidence now that she had extra forecastles and summer castles with detailed drawings to explain the options.    Also the Trust finding the stem (the forward keel up to the deck) means that all the curves of the hull can now be accurately mapped based on contemporary ship builder standard relationships of depth of hull to width depending on total length.

 

So I'm looking at the kit plans and the books and sketching how it might be done.  A new box on another box approach built separately then fitted looks good (so far), intending to fit off the normally removable kit frames.   All the added gun ports/half moon shape and the pavises will be tricky however to produce a standard shape. Plus added guttering for each added deck.

 

Not to familiar with how the site works so excuse any errors.

coldgold

 

Did you make any progress/drawings for the changes at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, coldgold said:

G'day everyone,

Have built the Mary Rose once already, from the Jokita kit but without any amendment. 

 

However per the Anthony Roll it doesnt look right.

Am now researching a second build but with added castles and netting (and anything else that looks accurate to add to the basic kit).

Plenty of evidence now that she had extra forecastles and summer castles with detailed drawings to explain the options.    Also the Trust finding the stem (the forward keel up to the deck) means that all the curves of the hull can now be accurately mapped based on contemporary ship builder standard relationships of depth of hull to width depending on total length.

 

So I'm looking at the kit plans and the books and sketching how it might be done.  A new box on another box approach built separately then fitted looks good (so far), intending to fit off the normally removable kit frames.   All the added gun ports/half moon shape and the pavises will be tricky however to produce a standard shape. Plus added guttering for each added deck.

 

Not to familiar with how the site works so excuse any errors.

coldgold

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

Just found your build log of the Mary Rose. She's a very beautiful and interesting ship. My guess is that you haven't had any spare time to put into her with all the demo builds you have going. I look forward to you continuing with her at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BobG said:

Just found your build log of the Mary Rose. She's a very beautiful and interesting ship. My guess is that you haven't had any spare time to put into her with all the demo builds you have going. I look forward to you continuing with her at some point.

 

I reckon this one is a number of years away now, but it will be finished, eventually.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...