Boyer 86ft by flying_dutchman2 - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - 17th Century Dutch Coastal water freighter by Marc Meijer

Hi Mike,

theWitsen books isa good one, but is for a different audience. The seawatch book is for modelbuilders:drawings and description of shiptypes.The Witsenbook (I have the dutch version) is for those who want more background on dutch shipbuilding in the 17th Century. Witsen uses one type (pinas) to describe the principles. So actually, you can read the book as a kind of monograph on a pinas. 

The dutch version had  drawings a a pinas, I don't know whether ornotthey come with the english version.I still didot order the book onmerchant ships, as taxes and transport costs make it arather pricy business.....

Jan

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Sorry forgot to ask a question - is the Witsens book a good one?  It’s a bit pricey, just wondering whether you think it’s worth it for people that have the Seawatch book?

The book from Witsen is excellent. For a guy like me who builds pretty much only Dutch ships, this book is an education for me. Chapter 2 is the biggest and the most detailed. It describes how to build a Pinas in 122 steps. It is highly technical, very detailed in each piece that is part of the ship. The line drawings, and there are many of them, show how it was done. Other chapters discuss what the inventory is for each man on the ship for one year. Contracts for building a ship. Chapter 1 explains how Hoving wrote the book, what is different, etc. 

Took Hoving 14 years to translate from 17th century Dutch to present day dutch (800+ pages). 200+ pages are relevant to ship building and that is what this book is about. Took him another 3 years to translate from Dutch to English and 3 to build the Pinas following Witsen's instruments. 

I agree, it is pricy, but personally, worth it. I did get it through Amazon. I plan to build the Pinas. So with this book and the plans from the merchant book I am all set. 

Plan to build all the merchant ships. First the 1:48 scale and then the1:96 scale which I want to do in 1:48 scale. Just don't know what to do with them once they are all finished. Maybe build a diorama with all of them in it and then beg a naval museum to take it from me. 

W. F. zu pferde is a beautiful ship. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks guys really appreciate the info.  Dutch ships from this period are really cool - a nice change from all the English warships.

Thanks again!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

#Jan. The English book has the same plans as the merchant book, but they are printed on the pages of the book, so I think too small if you want to build a model of it. 

#LandlubberMike. Agreed with a 'change of the English ships'. 

The English wrote everything down and so there are more plans of them. The Dutch did not. The senior shipwright taught the junior shipwright and so on. Very little was written down. So the Boyer I am building is an interpretation from contracts, paintings and etchings. No actual plans. 

Marcus 

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thank you for this beautifull building report of this very interesting merchant ship. Also interesting are your unconventional ways of building. I like it how you find a way to build everything. Keep up the good work!

Kind regard, Kees

#Kees, thank you for the wonderful compliment and all the likes from everybody else. 

There is always a way of creating/building something. If I stuck with being 'conventional', I would be missing out. As long as the boat I am building looks like what I initially planned to built, it does not matter how I got there. 

Been doing lots of 1st layer planking. Both the bow and stern are a challenge.

With the Boyer, the 2nd layer has to be curved to follow the contour of the deck. The top of the railing is also very curved. Start from the top going down to the lowest wale. 

After that I plan to plank straight towards the keel without using a lot of little pieces of planks. 

Marcus 805019201_Boyer86ftplankingcurvedbow.thumb.jpg.27441b96f8b227c04a30b7a2ad7cb4d7.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking curved stern .jpg

Edited by flying_dutchman2
Spelling

I have been taking a break from building this week as I have friends over from the Netherlands and showing them Chicago and surrounding areas. 

Marcus 

Thought your Dutch was coming through ;) take your time, friends are important, and your build won't sail away ... yet

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Marcus,

May I suggest starting at the lowest wale, and working up/down from there?

The location of the wales does have quite an effect on the visual appearnce. Getting their position right

after planking might be troublesome: getting it right before planking is easier: you cab draw on the hull until you are happy.

getting the other planks in position is easier: they are thinner and easier to handle than that heavy wale.

On 8/11/2018 at 5:08 AM, amateur said:

Hi Marcus,

May I suggest starting at the lowest wale, and working up/down from there. 

I will do what you suggest. It is a good idea because the lowest wale goes all the way to the transom triangle. 

Marcus 

Before placing the curved planks, make a paper form, according to it bend the boards sideways and then according to the hull. do not create a clinker surface .. it's a wonderful job. You are going very well! Ondras. :imNotWorthy:

1472574387_druhlitapodwales.JPG.f3c4c5aa59c1dd58f10a1f95cb5197b0.JPG

1787501621_uhbnhornplaky.JPG.6bf0e443421b06ce55892a7d65321868.JPG

1658720432_tvrtada...JPG.727ae2ada7bdf76ff3deb80e4c3b249e.JPG

Ondras.

Done : President - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=90230
Under construction : Roter Lowe - https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=114576

Member of the organizing clubhttps://wchs-c-2023.klom-admiral.cz/en

Thank you for the advice, Ondras. 

Marcus 

Planking 17th century Dutch ships is an exercise on its own. Dutch ships were planked completely different compared to English, French, Spanish ships, etc. The form of the hull was different so the planking was different (typical Dutch).

The book from Rob Napier, Reconditioning an 18th century ship model Valkenisse, retourschip of 1717 and the Utrecht by Hoving plans have detailed drawings how it was planked. I practiced with the 1st layer and I am going to try to plank the 2nd layer like the Valkenisse. I planked the Utrecht somewhat like it. I will master this after a couple of ships. 

I am getting to the end of the 1st layer and there is a lot of measuring and fitting. I am also very generous with steelers. 

Furthermore, made a template by drawing the outline of the the Wales on a piece of basswood. Inserted pins every 1/2" following one side of the curve. Took a thoroughly soaked piece of walnut and laid it against the pins. While pushing the wood upwards against the pins nailed the lower line of pins every 1/2" as well and slowly formed a curve. The pieces across the plank are to keep the plank flat on the basswood. The wales will be laminated. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, bow planking 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking steelers 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, planking 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, final 1st layer planking 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, final 1st layer planking 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, final 1st layer planking 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, wale template .jpg

Boyer 86ft, wale bend and pinned .jpg

1st layer planking is completed. I have already added some wood filler here and there. 

Once dry give it a complete sanding and continue to add wood filler if needed. After that start with the lower wale and going up to the raling and then down to the keel. 

The wales are going to be difficult as they need to be curved in 2 directions. 

The Utrecht had a similar curvature but with the Boyer it is more extreme. 

Re-did the wale template as the first time my curve was off and most importantly my Boyer is 21mm longer than the plan. I goofed at the bow. It is longer. Not that it will matter much. I will adjust accordingly. 1204647256_Boyer86ftwaletemplates.thumb.jpg.4eb4d8a276f5b665797f36e9e9f31b7f.jpg

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, 1st layer planking done 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, 1st layer planking done 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, 1st layer planking done 3.jpg

Boyer 86ft, curved wale redone .jpg

Been sanding the 1st layer of planking, slowly. Should be all done next week as I will have lots of time. 

My wife has a (Epic, which is a medical software) conference up in Wisconsin next week and I am tagging along. We will be staying in a resort, so besides swimming and taking advantage of the free stuff I will sanding the Boyer. 

Marcus 

12 hours ago, cog said:

SO you do not need to clean up the dust ... clever

That is the idea. Do it outside on a bench somewhere and if it rains on the balcony of our room. 

Marcus 

My wife is at the conferences and this am I scooped out the resort. We are staying at the Kalahari resort in Wisconsin. Lots of stuff to do and lots of little kids to watch out for. There is a small pool for 21 and older. It is way too busy every where. I am not good with crowds. 

I set up shop outside close to our room and have been sanding the Boyer for the last 3 hours. It is coming along nicely. The best of all, and what cog said I don't have to clean up the dust 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, vacation work space .jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Completely sanded the hull and it is nice and smooth. Also hollowed out the hull a bit more so the deck fits better. 

Second planking will be cherry and the wales laminated walnut. I have a source that can supply me with as much cherry as I want and it is free. The planks are 36" x 6" x 1/8" and 1/16". What I like about cherry is that over time it will turn darker. Sort of imitation oak. 

I have cut planks at 0.5mm and 1mm thick. Both types will be soaked in water and both will be dry fitted with clamps on the hull. I want to see which one fits and looks better. Because the model is large I think I can use the 1mm planks and that will not look clunky. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, hull sanded 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, hull sanded 2.jpg

Boyer 86ft, hull sanded 3.jpg

For the Dutch readers.

I was reading the travel magazine from the national geographic the other day and there was a small blurp about the city of Blokzijl in Overijssel. The picture shows a ship called a 'Punter'. That would be an interesting build especially as this type of boat is from around the 17th century. 

'Jan', maybe you know more about it. 

Marcus 

Google punter and giethoorn :)

This type of ship is a rather common type used well into the seventies for local transport. No sails no rowing. Just pushing a long stick

punters are the last ships build shell-first: a fee planks, frames added afterwards,

jan

Edited by amateur

16 hours ago, flying_dutchman2 said:

For the Dutch readers.

I was reading the travel magazine from the national geographic the other day and there was a small blurp about the city of Blokzijl in Overijssel. The picture shows a ship called a 'Punter'. That would be an interesting build especially as this type of boat is from around the 17th century. 

'Jan', maybe you know more about it. 

Marcus 

Jan,

I think that last year or in 2016 the Dutch Modelers magazine 'de Modelbouwer' published an article about the build of a punter model. I will check it out next time when I go to the library.

G.L.

#G. L.

Thanks for mentioning this. I would be interested in the month and year of the article.

The picture I have from the article has a large punter with 2 sails. The main sale is huge. 

Marcus 

Started with the bottom wale. Two 1mm each, walnut strips, on top of each other. 

Tha advantage of building both the mill and Boyer is that when a strip is drying on the boat I can work on the mill. 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, bottom wale 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, bottom wale 2.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:44 PM, G.L. said:

Jan,

I think that last year or in 2016 the Dutch Modelers magazine 'de Modelbouwer' published an article about the build of a punter model. I will check it out next time when I go to the library.

G.L.

possible, I ended my subscription two years ago, as the magazine evolved into a direction that is not mine (no more old fashioned building articles, but lots of technical 3D printing stuff). Not worth the money for me anymore.

I checked they have a Zuiderzee-punter in their drawings-archive.

@Marcus: the sail is large, but don't be mislead: the largest punter was somewhere between 6 and 7 meters. Not huge at all.

Jan

Edited by amateur

Jan, 

Here follows a picture of the magazine and I made two sketches of what the picture sort of looks like. 

Marcus 

Punter in blokzijl 1.jpg

Punter in blokzijl 2.jpg

Punter, drawing 1.jpg

Punter, drawing 2.jpg

Back to the Boyer. The wales on this boat are noticeable thick so I have added a third layer. Above that layer is a strip of cherry. 

The wales are a challenge but with lots of moving it slightly up or down and soaking it for more than a week in water, I can position it correctly 

Marcus 

Boyer 86ft, wale 3rd layer 1.jpg

Boyer 86ft, wale 3rd layer 2.jpg

Hi Marcus,

whatever ship that is, I don't know, but it is certainly not a punter, (at least not what is called punter in the Netherlands). The same holds for the ship to the left. 

It looks more like a tjalk to me (or it could be a non-dutch ship. It could be a german inland sailing ship)

Edit: Second thiught: it is most certainly a coastal/inland sailer, a klipper. You need the form of the bow ro be sure, it could also be a tjalk, but the rudder is slightly too small for a tjalk.

Klippers have huge main-sails, and large cargo holds. 

Not wooden ships, but steel ones, and designed somewhere at the beginning of the previous century.(around 1880-1900)

IMG_0484.JPG.20a2c5f6fbbfe8f227cc92a14e8b9935.JPG

Jan

Edited by amateur
Added pic

Jan, 

Thanks for the clarification. Looking back to the description, here is what it says. 

Blokzijl : built around a horseshoe harbor, this largely 17th century gem in the eastern province of Overijssel comes surrounded by lakes, ponds and canals, and is fittingly known for its water sports.

The local punter boats can be rented if you want to tour the boggy waterworld, and hiking routes lead through the area's Weeribben-Wieden national park. 

I'll continue to search on a future date 

Marcus