HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Hello, Remco.  Lovely work as always.  Although I routinely use bamboo for treenails, I agree that the apperance is not always the best as your demo piece shows.  Ease of drawing to small sizes is the main attraction I guess.  I have used genuine box, but for some reason have not tried castelo.  What size are you drawing the castelo to?   I may be ready to convert - at least for the open areas.

Ed

Years ago at Manitowoc I saw a mid section of the Victory. From a distance you did not see it but up close you could see that it was tree nailed. The modeler had used the bristles from a brush that were a clear plastic or nylon.

David B

Superb work Remco, I love it. :dancetl6:

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Just plain lovely Remco.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks all for the kind comments.

Alan,I use a pin vise to drill the holes, my dremel is much to aggressive for this type of drilling and the smaller drills do not fit in my other micro motor. Next to that I feel much more comfortable to do this precise work by hand, a powertool will not give the feedback a pin vice does.

Ed, Mark, I draw the castello up to the .018 hole, getting at the smaller sizes you really need to be careful not to break the wood. I use 24" strips to get a better yield from the work involved drawing one strip.

I also made a minor improvement to my Ed's style clamps as the treaded holes started to wear out pretty quickly in my case. I added square holes and inserted little nuts for strength.

post-20-0-96391400-1409118925_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Gaetan, at the slowest setting my dremel (cordless type) still turns very fast, and even with the flexible cord I find it to bulky to operate near my model. My other micromotor has no 3 jaw chuck.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

• 1 month later...

A long overdue update....... I was too busy making decals and flags ;)

I planked the port side from the Sheer strake up, this is all the planking I will do on this side except some minor parts I need for the rigging. Next up tree nailing the lot.... 

post-20-0-56076200-1413745935_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-88206300-1413745933_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-34206100-1413745937_thumb.jpg

Also made new brass knobs on the clamps, as it turned out the wooden ones didn't hold up after I reenforced the bars with nuts.

post-20-0-90106800-1413745938_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Yep, I know, it's my fault Remco and I am very sorry  ;)  KIDDING!!!

Glad you could spend some time in the shipyard and the planking looks superb, at least from here.  I'll just have to determine that when I can see your KF in real life.  I'll bring my inspector's magnifying glass with me  ;)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Alan, Cog, I turned the fittings on my lathe, added knurls to finish them off and soldered them to the bars.

post-20-0-24709700-1413834064_thumb.jpg

Cabrapente, thats I nice little tool, I prefer to drill all holes manually as this gives far greater control and precision.

post-20-0-74502400-1413834062_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

I truly admire the cleanness of your work - it´s so precise! A masterpiece, for sure.

Thanks Joe, Vivian & Mark. Indeed I used the knurling attachment from Shereline, it gives a good grip and a adds a nice touch.

Port side treenailed

post-20-0-36050500-1414350405_thumb.jpg

And draught marks added, they won't be painted red as they should as this might be to distracting. They are just 3 mm, 1/8" high

post-20-0-31391200-1414350402_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-90657400-1414350403_thumb.jpg

Remco

Edited by Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Clean, and crisp draught marks Remco.

P.s. How on earth did you take that picture whilst drilling with two hands?!?!?!?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The draught marks are a new one for me Remco. Beautiful precision carving. I assume this was done with an Exacto blade.

Haven't visited for a while.... She's just magnificent!

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Those draught marks are a lovely touch Remco, and so exquisitely precise!

Thanks all.

Cog, I used a tripod and the timer to take that picture.

Dave, the carving was done with small chisels of different sizes.

Druxey, I was planning to tonight but ran into a problem. While marking their position I saw the stern post has the same with as the largest XIV and XIII marking. So adding them here will look odd. In the picture they are roughly penciled in but the final markings will take the full with of the stern post. I'd better leave them off

post-20-0-85277800-1414441818_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-22834300-1414441817_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Wow Remco, nice work on the markings carving.  What a shame that you can't add them to the stern post.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I think the widest marks were placed with the letters tight against each other, as the example from the NMM. These were from the wreck of the Royal George, sunk in 1782.

post-635-0-72477800-1414456318_thumb.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv