HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Ok, I added the marks on the sternpost by narrowing them down they fitted. I omitted one mark as the gudgeon will cover it.  I'm not happy with how they turned out compared to the stempost marks. It was hard to maneuver being right handed, the hull got in the way  :(

post-20-0-19764000-1414530261_thumb.jpg

Making a new sternpost is out of the question I'm affright ,....

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

I think they look fantastic.  And with the naked eye they probably look even better, subtly blending into the background.  I'll take your "affright" any day of the week!

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Typical comment by a perfectionist - - "I'm not happy - - -" ;)  :)   They look great Remco, many of us wish they could make them look like those.  On the other hand - - dare I even think it - - you can always tear the sternpost off and make a new one and carving the markings on the bench  :rolleyes:

Nah, they look great!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

They look great Remco and I really admire you're doing them at this stage, when you don't have the option of removing the sternpost.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I think the widest marks were placed with the letters tight against each other, as the example from the NMM. These were from the wreck of the Royal George, sunk in 1782.

Inserting find Druxey - here are some copper versions from HMS Investigator, refitted in 1851. 

5340402-488x315.jpg

Edited by E&T

OK...I think i've found a word that hasn't been used...Phenomenal !!!

Remco

I truly admire your skill set. I wish I had a fraction of your talent.

This will definitely be a build that many will reference to for years to come. Keep up the good work.

John

John   B) 

Current Build: MSW 18 Century Longboat 1:48

Next Build:    MSW Bluenose 1:64

Outstanding as usual. I always love to get caught up on this masterpiece.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks all, good quality chisels and keeping then very very sharp helps a lot...

Robin I used the watering marking on my body plan to establish the position of the marks

Next up the rudder, my first attempt to cut 'simple'  tabs that go all the way from side to side failed. I had to much tear out from the mill, even with a backing piece of wood. So back to the chisels and I made the proper altering tabling.

post-20-0-44350600-1415047579_thumb.jpg

Cut to size with the table saw and scroll saw, tarring simulated with thin black paper

post-20-0-16793100-1415047581_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-59922300-1415047582_thumb.jpg

Tapered with a big bench plane :)

post-20-0-23455900-1415047584_thumb.jpg

The square hole  at the top tapers from fore to aft. Next up the pintles.

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

I've never seen a tabled joint on a model, Remco. Extraordinary work! It's a shame no one willd ever know as you can't see both sides at once.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

And Remco pushes the bar again.   Simply amazing work on the rudder.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Remco The tabled joint is what sets your work a cut above, and demonstrates excellent craftsmanship.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

All you folks took the words right out of my mouth, not much more to add - - - except - - - heel erg mooi! 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Incredible and very inspirational scale joinery Remco.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Really wonderful and precise work.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I echo the opinions others have posted.  Wonderful attention to detail  and may I ask how you sharpen your chisels.  I can do knives but I always had bad luck tying to put a decent edge on a chisel or a gouge.

David B

Without wishing to hijack this thread, David B, in brief I'd recommend Lee Valley's (Veritas Tools) sharpening jig, stone pond and water stones.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

David B, I use a Veritas MKII honing guide and several (400, 1000, 3000 & 6000 grid) Japanese waterstones. It's a big investment but the results are great every time.

Meanwhile I'm struggling with the pintles, the brass bars I have are to thick and need to be thinned down a lot, it's not working this way. I need to visit the hobby store to get bars that better match the size of the pintle straps.

post-20-0-70795800-1415136204_thumb.jpg

I not sure if I understand the TFFM correctly, are the straps let down into the keel? And is this over their full-length or partially?

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

I found some information in: "The Arming and Fitting of English Ships of War 1600 - 1815" by Brian Lavery (see attached pdf)

Hope that clarifies things a bit - I do love books :D

arming_and_fitting.1600_1815.pdf

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks.

I went to the hobby shop and got a better strip of brass that closer matches the size I need. Less material to remove, easier to work with. Two holes are smaller to receive a bolt the rest will get simulated screws.....

post-20-0-38757800-1415221848_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-04193000-1415221850_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here