HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Glad you solved the brass problem.  It looks rather spiffy . . . hmmm, near perfect  ;)  Gonna blacken it I assume?

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco,

besides the outstanding metal work, i am struck by the joints in the wood. Can you remind me what you use to show the joints, and how do you get these to be so perfectly even along the length of the joint?

Mark

Thanks all.

Mark, for delicate enhancing of the joints I use a pencil, but to simulate tarring like the joints on  the rudder I use very thin paper (probably 0.1 mm thick). It comes in different colors but it's not water proof so I use the white one and tint it with a black Sharpy. All joints are lined on one side and after gluing the pieces together I used a plane to shape the rudder and trim the excess paper lining.

Meanwhile the metalwork on the rudder is continued, the pintles and spectacle plate are made from separate pieces silver soldered together. Piet, when all metal work is ready I will try to brown them (instead of blackening) 

Here they are temporary fitted

post-20-0-72554800-1415565381_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-07289000-1415565384_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-88099300-1415565385_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-77728400-1415565387_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-50508500-1415565389_thumb.jpg

I noticed the hole for the tiller sits to close to the top of rudder, In need to make a little fix to lower it :(

I'm not sure how that happened......

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Very nice work Remco; that is incredibly fine joinery and metal work.

Ditto on the assembly/soldering board - can you provide name/type and purchasing details please?

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Beautiful work Remco!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco the metalwork is superb, however I am still getting my head around the stunning joinery on the rudder sections. Nice way to solder the small elements on the corners.

A Master Craftsman and Artist you are Sir.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

And the rudder is beautiful!

Maury

Hi Remco. Great work sir and have a question for you. The pins you have stuck in the soldering board, what are they and if purchase when can one buy some?  I got one of these soldering boards after seeing yours but so far have not found the pins. Thank you sir and keep the photo's of your build coming. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Thank you all for the kind words. For those interested in the soldering board, I purchased it here they also have the pins I use and some hold down clamps I didn't get but made them myself.

Beware that the board quickly heats at the bottom so you should place extra heat protection underneath it (yes I found out the hard way and now I have a big burn mark on my bench  :angry: )

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

WOW, the whole rudder is a masterpiece, superb work Remco.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Beautiful work as always, Remco.  II really like the  idea of removable struts on the eyes on the spectacle piece.

Ed

Hi again Remco,

Would you be able to identify the soldering block and pin jig you use (see a copy of your photo below) - Is this home made (drilled)  from a solder block or is it a commercially available product please?  It looks commercial, but with your skills I would not put this past your abilities :)  It looks a very useful jig for such jobs.

Many thanks

Pat

post-20-0-07289000-1415565384_thumb.jpg

Thanks Druxey - I need my wake up pills I completely missed that - thanks for the pointer Remco

cheers

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

A long overdue update, be it small is more than one way :)

The tiller hole was repositioned and the hoops were added

The pintles are browned, bolted & screwed to the rudder, (okay I simulated the screws.....)

post-20-0-61824900-1418676305_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-78078600-1418676325_thumb.jpg

Next up the Gudgeons, any ideas how long they need to be? TFFM only shows one, are #2 to #5 all the same length?

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco, I cannot believe you actually simulated something.  Maybe you are human. :D

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Hi Remco,

I made my lowest one 36mm long and the second from the top one 19mm. The middle ones are in a straight line on the forward ends between them.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi