Remcohe

HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Glad you solved the brass problem.  It looks rather spiffy . . . hmmm, near perfect  ;)  Gonna blacken it I assume?

Cheers,

Remco,

besides the outstanding metal work, i am struck by the joints in the wood. Can you remind me what you use to show the joints, and how do you get these to be so perfectly even along the length of the joint?

Mark

Thanks all.

Mark, for delicate enhancing of the joints I use a pencil, but to simulate tarring like the joints on  the rudder I use very thin paper (probably 0.1 mm thick). It comes in different colors but it's not water proof so I use the white one and tint it with a black Sharpy. All joints are lined on one side and after gluing the pieces together I used a plane to shape the rudder and trim the excess paper lining.

Meanwhile the metalwork on the rudder is continued, the pintles and spectacle plate are made from separate pieces silver soldered together. Piet, when all metal work is ready I will try to brown them (instead of blackening) 

Here they are temporary fitted

post-20-0-72554800-1415565381_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-07289000-1415565384_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-88099300-1415565385_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-77728400-1415565387_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-50508500-1415565389_thumb.jpg

I noticed the hole for the tiller sits to close to the top of rudder, In need to make a little fix to lower it :(

I'm not sure how that happened......

Remco

Stunning metal work Remco. Incredibly fine pintles.

What is the board you are using in the second pic?

Alan

Very nice work Remco; that is incredibly fine joinery and metal work.

Ditto on the assembly/soldering board - can you provide name/type and purchasing details please?

cheers

Pat

Remco the metalwork is superb, however I am still getting my head around the stunning joinery on the rudder sections. Nice way to solder the small elements on the corners.

A Master Craftsman and Artist you are Sir.

Michael

Hi Remco. Great work sir and have a question for you. The pins you have stuck in the soldering board, what are they and if purchase when can one buy some?  I got one of these soldering boards after seeing yours but so far have not found the pins. Thank you sir and keep the photo's of your build coming. Gary

Thank you all for the kind words. For those interested in the soldering board, I purchased it here they also have the pins I use and some hold down clamps I didn't get but made them myself.

Beware that the board quickly heats at the bottom so you should place extra heat protection underneath it (yes I found out the hard way and now I have a big burn mark on my bench  :angry: )

Remco

Beautiful work as always, Remco.  II really like the  idea of removable struts on the eyes on the spectacle piece.

Ed

Hi again Remco,

Would you be able to identify the soldering block and pin jig you use (see a copy of your photo below) - Is this home made (drilled)  from a solder block or is it a commercially available product please?  It looks commercial, but with your skills I would not put this past your abilities :)  It looks a very useful jig for such jobs.

Many thanks

Pat

post-20-0-07289000-1415565384_thumb.jpg

Thanks Druxey - I need my wake up pills I completely missed that - thanks for the pointer Remco

cheers

Pat

A long overdue update, be it small is more than one way :)

The tiller hole was repositioned and the hoops were added

The pintles are browned, bolted & screwed to the rudder, (okay I simulated the screws.....)

post-20-0-61824900-1418676305_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-78078600-1418676325_thumb.jpg

Next up the Gudgeons, any ideas how long they need to be? TFFM only shows one, are #2 to #5 all the same length?

Remco