HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Beautiful Remco!!!  Looks real, just thinking, that if you lay it on some aged planking you can fool people in thinking it's the real thing.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Very nice work on those screws Remco the rest of the rudder looks great as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Remco, I cannot believe you actually simulated something.  Maybe you are human. :D

I'm with Toni here Remco!!! ;)

And for Remco's next miniature challenge....................

Lovely work, Remco.  I could be wrong, but I believe all were the same length - but the upper straps are fore shortened in the drawings due to the hull curvature.  Note that the bolt spacing on the drawings decreases on the higher ones.  If you think about it from a strength point of view, there is no reason why these should be of different lengths.  I'd vote for making them all the length of the lowest.  That one and the next couple are shown in true view.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for helping me to sort this out. 

Jan, 0,5 mm copper rod scored with a sharp blade made the screw head.

Sorry Grant, no way I can make working screws on this scale ;)

So that said, the gudgeons are made, again from brass strip and bar silver soldered together and formed to follow the hull curvature. I'll probably use some castello shims to compensate for the missing hull planking. Some adjustments are still needed before I can bolt the gudgeons permanently to the hull. Somehow gudgeon #5 ended up under the transom planking :(

post-20-0-49152400-1420039827_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-57711700-1420039858_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Jan, the bottom of the rudder should be higher than the top of the false keel. Otherwise the false keel (if it comes of when hitting ground) would rip off the rudder in the process. The issue occurred when I marked the hight of the pintles using the pre cut slots on the sternpost. I should have noticed it then :( 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

The upper gudgeon straps do go through the transom and wrap around the post. Usually you can see a little of them on the side of the stern post. Ah, well, no-one is perfect! However, you are pretty close. A happy and healthy New Year to you.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

As I get ready to start the rudder on my Swan class in a few weeks, all I can say is that your rudder assembly is inspiring.  

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

That's really looking fantastic Remco.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Your pintles and gudgeons look great, but I do not understand the reasoning for installing the straps underneath the planking.  Can you elaborate why the did this?

David B

Thanks all.

David B, well the thing is I'm building Admiralty style so as I'm not adding any more planking it looks like the straps are underneath the planking. But if you  look closer you can see small shims I used to compensate for the lack of planking on the lower two gudgeons.

post-20-0-27434800-1420384504_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Looks great Remco,

compensation for the two lower gudgeons (lack of planking) very nice deal...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Remco, Greg said it best, however I have to say your workmanship is exquisite.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Remco, I think they may need to find a new definition for 'perfection" - absolutely  stunning joinery.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your very kind compliments and likes!

So time to get back inside the hull. All beams were cut to size previously and here they are test fitted with all the lower deck details temporary in  place. I'm not too pleased how the upper well discolored overtime. In the beginning I have used minwax  and it made the wood a bit greenish. I also need to check the dimensions of the louvers as they look a bit thick to my eye compared to the other details. Ah well I'll just make an other one in due time. 

post-20-0-65945000-1422197736_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-59645900-1422197734_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-45589200-1422197732_thumb.jpg

Before I proceed to install the carlings and ledges I made the hammock battens, al bit of mass production as there are quite a few to be made of different sizes. Preliminary shape (the last bit is in front of the pile af battens) was made on the table saw and then the battens were cut to size and further refined using files and sandpaper. The drilling and installing of the tiny bolts (0,3 mm) took some time. The last step was to bend the longer battens to conform with the curving of the deck beams. The outer bolts will be installed when the battens are fixed permanently in place and will help to pin the battens to the deck beams.

post-20-0-28286900-1422197730_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-99302800-1422197725_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-36831400-1422197728_thumb.jpg

Port side has been done starboard side is still in the clamping jig ...

post-20-0-99223500-1422197859_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Your well is a work of art as built.  How could you make it any better?  What finish are you using now and why did you stop using the Minwax?

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Brilliant! I don't know of many modellers who would go to the trouble and detail of installing hammock battens. I suppose there will be hammocks as well? ;)

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv