HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Jaw dropping work, Remco. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I need a new dictionary - I have run out of superlatives for the quality of work and detail of this beautiful model.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Marvelous work Remco!  Hey, when i come to visit do I have to bring a cystoscope with me to look at the inside?

I can't wait ogling your KF in real life!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks all for the kind comments and likes!

Tony, I stopped using minwax because it does not give a dead flat finish unless you sand it a little after applying. Not very practical in hard to reach spots. I really look for a flat finish and a finish that will bond the last traces of sanding dust as well (with boxwood you'll have very fine white dust accumulating in the wood grain). So after some experimenting with different finishes this is what I found out until now.

Beeswax diluted with white spirit, it corrodes the brass and coper nails in the model

Micro crystalline wax diluted with white spirit, no corrosion but traces of sanding dust remain visible 

Sanding sealer, nice flat finish but traces of sanding dust remain visible 

With Tungoil diluted with white spirit (50%) I have the best results, nearly a flat finish and all the sanding dust takes the color of the wood. 

Druxey, I saw that one coming ;) who knows, if I can find some decent reference material I'll give it a shot.

Greg, dry bending with hot air (the admirals hair dryer is a fine tool in the shipwright)

Piet, no need to bring tools, you can use mine to examine the Kingfisher. Everything except for the magazine is still very visible with my optivisor. Once the upper deck goes in that will change. But no worries, no way I will be that far when you get here :-)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Hi Remco

First of all jaw dropping build. :im Not Worthy:

Secondly I am very interested in your opinion about finishes and I have a few questions if you dont mind... Is there a bit of a sheen when using tung oil with white spirit or does dead flat finish mean no sheen? Also can you mix a reasonably large amount of tung oil and white spirit in one go or do you need to use it fairly quickly once you have done so? And finally (honest! :) ) can you still use wood glue on sections that have been finished in this way?

I was certain I wanted to use danish oil as I really like the finish but one thing that is putting me off is the fact that you cannot easily use wood glue once you have applied it.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Remco,

I just checked in for the first time in a long time as your build came up when I was searching for brick hearth information.  I have now spent some hours following your build to catch up since mid 2014.  Remarkable workmanship!  Thanks for sharing so many clever ideas.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Man, you make it difficult for us to keep building our own ships, cause we have to be in a constant state of awe before your build - that takes some time!

Joke aside, Marvelous Work, you are really someone we come to learn from. Thank u for sharing your build with us.

P.S. :omg:

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Nick, with diluted tung oil (applied sparingly ) it has no sheen and thats what I meant with dead flat. I have the mixture in a small jar and it will keep for at least 2 years, that is how long I kept is. Glue won't stick to well if the wood has been treated with tungoil or any other oil or wax based finish. So you'd better think ahead before applying it. 

The fore mast step, this is a nice little 3D jig saw puzzle. I realised I had to reposition the two deck beams that incorporate the mast step to properly align with the mast. No big deal but I felt pretty dumb when I noticed my mistake. Most straight forward cuts were made on the table saw that acted as router. The rest was cut with a chisel.

post-20-0-85642700-1422998718_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-62727000-1422998715_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-77488200-1422998712_thumb.jpg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Beautifully perfect, Remco.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Schitterend!  Brilliant work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Okay, it's official, I've exhausted my supply of superlatives. Can someone lend me a few please?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your kind comments.

Next up is the bowsprit step. As I needed two of the forecastle deck beams to determine the size of this part. Not looking forward to this job I made an (warning off topic) 1/35 BMW R75 with side car, a nice little plastic kit from Lionroar. After that I found new energy to return to the KF and I went ahead and cut all forecastle and quarterdeck deck beams so they are ready for future use. Some parts still need to be made but I can not find the with of the crosspiece. Any ideas? I guess it's shorter than the main topsail sheet bitt crosspiece...

post-20-0-35571100-1424809234_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-01856000-1424809232_thumb.jpg

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

38mm seems to work OK on mine Remco. Check HERE.

Fore Topsail Sheet Bitts 003.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

I measured the piece on the Atalanta plans from the NMM and it is 36 x 3.8 (w) x 3.1 (h) mm.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.