HMS Kingfisher 1770 by Remco - 1/48 - English 14 Gun Sloop - POF

Remco,

Perfection! I have a question about your mast wedge and partners. Since the mainmast angles aft, and the deck slopes, did you bore your hole through the partners at an angle? Or does the wedge  make up the difference?

Mark

Thank you for clarifying Druxey.

Mark, I filed the hole in the mast partner at a slight angle, but as the mast partner is quite thin it's hardly noticeable.

Greg, I didn't plan to, but now your asking..... ;) I made a slightly different pattern than suggested in TFFM.

post-20-0-89852900-1364763829_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-73475200-1364763828_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Remco,

Wow. You are so good at this that you might consider the fine beading along the edges of the capstan whelps and chocks in Napier's Legacy of a Ship Model on page 76, when you get to it. I did not see that detail in the original Bellona model, and so I did not attempt it. I'm not sure I could have done it. But I'll bet you can!

Mark

Beautiful Remco.  Did you recess the faces by hand?  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent, Remco! My Swan was O.K.

No Greg, your's is a masterpiece. Every time I go in my shipyard I view the wonderful pictures of your model.

but I believe yours may be the definitive version of the class.

That's right. And Remco shows all the steps he goes to realize this dream model.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Thanks Greg that is really kind of you, but "My Swan was O.K" must be the understatement of the year ;) 

I don't know Mark I don't have a copy of Napier, but I take it as a big compliment.

MarkII, yep I cut them by hand, couple of real sharp chisels did the job. 

Thnx Christian :)

Back to work, the Gallow is morticed/tenoned I wanted to give this a try after seeing Tony making tenons for the deck pillars. My hat is off to you Tony, it's a daunting task...

post-20-0-24912200-1364840080.jpeg

post-20-0-25333600-1364840081.jpeg

post-20-0-69713500-1364840082_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-33435600-1364840178_thumb.jpeg

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

MSW 1.0 log click here

Wow

Remco very nice joinery indeed.I like the flourish on the cross beam, lovely touch.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Beautiful detail on the gallows cross-piece. Just for fun, I've attached the gallows cross-piece on the Navy Board version of the Swan class model in Annapolis. Note the beautiful beaded detail on the bottom edge. Difficult to do, I'd think, even with a scraper.

post-505-0-08867100-1364861159_thumb.jpg

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautifully done Remco, but if I'm not mistaken Greg has just issued you another "challenge".  I look forward to your response!  ;)

Beautiful detail on the gallows cross-piece. Just for fun, I've attached the gallows cross-piece on the Navy Board version of the Swan class model in Annapolis. Note the beautiful beaded detail on the bottom edge. Difficult to do, I'd think, even with a scraper.

Greg,

Remco will probably take this as a challenge....

Jan

Edited by amateur

Naw...I'm not throwing down the gauntlet to Remco. I just thought he'd appreciate the beautiful detail. It's certainly possible that the molded detail might be an embellishment on the part of the ship modeller.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thats a great picture Greg, to bad Annapolis is not on my route to the office. It's a bit heavy on the details added on the cross piece and bitt's for my liking. So I wasn't planning to do a mold and just make a test on a piece of scrap to see if it could be done. The result is shown here, I did it on the good piece anyway when I found out it worked out  ;)

post-20-0-17482700-1364929265_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-97786000-1364929272_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-08865300-1364929281_thumb.jpeg

I think more subtile than the Annapolis model and better matching the rest of my KF.

Remco

MSW 1.0 log click here

Wonderful, I must say, Remco has taken the challenge :D

Edited by AnobiumPunctatum

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist!!!

Looks fabulous - and as you say, a little more subtle and in keeping with the rest of the build.

Very nice Remco!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Remco, I continue to be amazed with the quality of your craftsmanship - simply stunning!  My utmost respect for your attention to detail and your ability to achieve such fine work. 3d-respect-prosterne-3.gif

regards

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Looks to have been done by a miniature chisel....?   Now my mind is truely boggled.  post-76-0-91402900-1365028505.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)