HMS Victory by Yon - Caldercraft 1:72

Hi Derek - thanks for the tip - I replied on your log.

A few pictures to update my build.  I don't anticipate much in the way of progress over the next couple of weeks as I'm back on the cannon.  I just can't seem to do a decent job on them.

Anyway, I installed the main companionway and the railings around the bow which I lined with the blackened net curtain material.

post-464-0-65591100-1361959954_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-05898400-1361959967_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-06743400-1361959977_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-46224500-1361959990_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-91005300-1361960000_thumb.jpg

yon the front end looks great

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi David

Many thanks.  It is curtain - I just asked around for some scraps ! I've decided to attack the cannon head on.  Not my favourate job so I thought I'd get it out of the way then install them when necessary.

Looking forward to your update !

Cheers Yon

Hi Yon

It looks good - I like the bow of your Vic.

Cheers

Rosmarie

In my shipyard:

HMS Victory 1:72, Caldercraft (wood): http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/416-hms-victory-by-romiol-caldercraft-172/

Schwarzer Rabe (Fluyte 1672) Shipyard, Card, 1:96: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/424-schwarzer-rabe-fluyte-1627-by-romiol-shipyard-card-196/

Thanks Rosmarie

Here's a few pictures of my ongoing effort with cannon.  I decided not to use blocks - I don't know whether its because of the scale but I just couldn't get the tackle to look right with them. 

Anyway, I won't be doing any more updates for 3 weeks or so as I'm off to the Caribbean for some winter sun !

Cheers

Yon

post-464-0-84496900-1362477178_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-50663600-1362477190_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-27336200-1362477201_thumb.jpg

Good morning yon

When you look at this, and relate the last part of your build the bows along side of it, it looks brilliant, it really does. I would like to see photos of them both together if you know what I mean. Cracking build. Are the other six cannons finished?? I am doing the middle deck gun port lids. It is not as tedious as I thought, it gets easier as you do them. What's next???? Some more photos please before you jump ship. Have a cracking time.DAVID

Hi David

Thanks very much.  I've just been looking at your lids - they look great ! 

I've finished making up all the cannon but its the rigging that's taking the time.  I'll try and post some more photos tonight if I have time after I've finished packing !!

All the best

Yon

Hi Yon Those cannons look real good mate,actually your build is nice and clean all over, i had a mishap slipped put me hand out and demolished the main stairway :angry: ,those  balusters snapped like a carrot beyond hope,so i built another used some dowel i had spare not as good looking as the originals :( i have no posted of late getting a bit of eye trouble double vision will see what opticians say,prob to much time on PC.Enjoy your hols what island you going to ?  DEREK :cheers::pirate41:

Hi Gary - Thanks very much

Hi Derek  Thanks for the comments - sorry to hear about your main companionway - its a real shame when things like that happen.  Hope you get your vision sorted out. I'm off to Barbados - I lived and worked there for a short time about 10 yrs ago and have wanted to go back for a visit ever since.

All the best

Yon

Yon,

Brilliant job with the bows, the netting is a really nice touch and adds reality to the model.  All these great ideas from everyone that I'm filing away for future use.  I think your guns look great, as does the whole deck...very clean, nice work.

Enjoy Barbados!

Patrick

Thanks Patrick

As promised here are a few pictures showing the progress of the bows. I look forward to reviewing everyone's progress when I get back in about 3 weeks

Cheers

Yon

post-464-0-41493800-1362520344_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-01500800-1362520357_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-95833900-1362520370_thumb.jpg

Your work is superbe. I love the netting. Enjoy the vacation.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments Mort and David.

Just returned from holiday to find my order from Cornwall Model Boats and been fulfilled incorrectly for the second time running. I was looking to get some small rings for finishing the rigging on the cannon but instead got square sanctions.  I don't what is up with that company lately, they used to be so reliable.  My last order should have got here a good week before I went away.  Anyway I'm going to have to manufacture something instead as its delayed my build too much already and I'll look around for a new supplier (any suggestions welcome !).

I hope to have an update in a week or so.

Cheers

Yon

Hello yon

Welcome back from your world tour of Barbados!!. Well thats a surprise to me, I have never had a prob with CMB orders.

Well I will be back to the gunport lids tonight, just a tidy up on painting. I made a right mess on the channels and knocked 2 gunport lids off. But I got a post off Dave ( artificer) warning me I was going the wrong way about things. Anyway the way to go is locate the channels with pins, not glued, fit all your brass profile and paint all the areas around channels and chainplates, then assemble all your dead eyes and chainplates on the channels, but not on the ship. Then locate and glue the channels on the ship. Regards DAVID

Hi David

Thanks very much - good to be back !

I'm suprised by CMB as well - spent £000,s with them over the years and never a problem until now.  Its not just the wrong orders, its the lack of reply to emails, delays in fulfilling etc. Something must have changed there.

Thanks for the advice on the chainplates and channels - I can see from the photos that its a tricky business. I think it will be some time before I get there.

All the best

Yon

Yon i have recently ordered  some bits of off CMB and not had a prob yes they sent the wrong stuff once  but was soon rectified,emails no they not so good at answering those i dont bother with them usually i phone them with my order just have the  item numbers to hand.Only other places i use sometimes are Hobbies in norfolk ot westbourne  models in bournemouth but neither hold as much stock as CMB  DEREK

Over the Easter w/e I decided to tackle an issue which I was beginning to think way too much about.  On the middle and lower gun decks there is an extra gunport forward of the cut out gunports.  The instructions suggest that you paint a black square and then add hinges to simulate closed ports.  I thought I'd have a go at making actual lids which would be in the half closed and closed positions respectively.

This took much longer and was a lot harder than I anticipated.  After 3 days of struggle the resultant ports were not as good as I thought they would be and the middle deck port was a bit too small. Oh well.....

Finally I finished the rigging of the cannon on the forecastle. 

Next on the agenda will be the forcastle hammock slings and then maybe the marine's walk thingy...

post-464-0-25668300-1364894742_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-62596900-1364894767_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-92387000-1364894777_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-27599600-1364894787_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-99107800-1364894984_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-18781600-1364895005_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-50519700-1364895018_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-71076000-1364895027_thumb.jpg

Hi Yon i forgot all about that gun port up front now you gone and reminded me,actually i have a few unfinished jobs to do still buckets etc,you done a nice job on those bows i am going to leave a lot of that  for later on have allready  caught the cats heads and pulled them,we all got our ways of doing things and you seem to have escaped unscathed so far,me i am going to do all the lids then bung the other cannon barrels in (bung em in not very nautical is it )then do unfinished  bits on deck and anywhere else.Then its hello masts .Your deck varnish looks smart or is that a light shining on it,seems to have a nice sheen to it,did you not use a matt varnish ?       DEREK :pirate41:

Edited by ocean clipper

Hello yon

Well done on the artificial gunports . I have been looking at them, and it looks like I cannot fit one of them as the the continuation of the cat head is not fitted correctly and impedes ( gets in the way) of the port. Not to worry, I noted that not many builders have bothered fitting them at all. If I do the lower ones I will just use an overlay of marquetry veneer to create the window effect. What I would like to know is were does the handrail start an terminate for the netting at the bows. Anyway well done and keep enjoying the build DAVID

Thanks Derek. I think its a really interesting aspect of building looking at how we all seem to take ion tasks in a different order from each other.  I'm trying to work from bow to stern in the hope of not leaving anything out and getting as much variety as possible.  The dummy cannon barrels concern me a little as I can't get my head around how you make them consistent.

I use oil based matt varnish on my deck but I find that if I put on too many coats (trying to cover up glue stains etc) it starts to get a little glossy but I think that the texture in the picture is more to do with the camera flask (I haven't worked out how to take a picture in macro mode whilst supressing the flash !)

Good luck with the barrels and the lids !

Cheers

Yon