HMS Victory by Yon - Caldercraft 1:72

Hi David

I too noticed that some people had not bothered with the forward ports - quite honestly I'm beginning to wish I was one of them as it would have saved me a great deal of time and effort ! I had a similar concern with the cat head part getting in the way which was why my port ended up being too narrow.

When I looked into the handrail I thought that it started as per my above picture "fwd gunports" and then runs parallel with the horizontal part of the bow.  It then naturally terminates where it meets the bow at the forward end.  However as it terminates forward it also turns downward for a couple of millimeters.  I did not realise this so mine is not correct.  Hope that makes sense !

Cheers

Yon

Yon 2 things i now going to forget those 2 ports in the bow .Camers yes i had a olympus it got stolen when we went to visit the victory last year bought another olympus which has quite a bit more on it like you i am still finding new things on it ,it has a 3d thing think i will give that bit a miss,i do ont have SLR camera just a compact olympus sh21 i put the manual on line easier to go through DEREK :pirate41:

You did a great job on those gunports.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

No my friend. I thank you and everyone else for taking the time to share their builds of this amazing and challenging kit.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Cheers yon

I only set the angle of the gunport lids by eye. What stage are you at now?? Here's an idea I used to make the rigging of lids to make it easy . I threaded them all on the rope ( cotton) and cut them off one at a time . Thank DAVID I will delete post if you want

post-96-0-21748300-1365071201_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-09307500-1365071304_thumb.jpg

Hi David

That's a clever idea - thanks (please keep the post - it will be useful)

I'm busy doing the hammock nets and then the marine's walk to finish off the foreastle area.  I've slowed down a bit as I'm trying to avoid using Cyano and the white glue is taking a lot longer to dry.

I hope to have some updated photo's early next week

All the best

Yon

Over the last four days or so I've accomplished what should have taken no more than a couple of hours but I kept going back, redoing work I wasn't happy with.  I changed the material I was using for the hammock nets and then realised that it looked much better to attach the netting with CA rather than sewing - which had taken me forever. At least I now know better for the remaining netting.

Finally I attached the marines walk which I think completes the bow for the time being.

Some photos

Before

post-464-0-00536500-1365500256_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-29066500-1365500285_thumb.jpg

After

post-464-0-49570600-1365500316_thumb.jpg

post-464-0-78255900-1365500334_thumb.jpg

Marines Walk

post-464-0-35967200-1365500975_thumb.jpg

Cheers all

Yon

WELL DONE

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

i continued last night to get the bow decoration right, - lol unsucsessfully, was hoping to work backwacks towards finishing the decorative strips that run from the steps, also nearly ready to fix the fore mast chain plates

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I don't think I made my wales as per the instructions so I didn't have the same issue with my bow - good luck with it !

It will be a long time before I'm on to those chain plates - it looks tough although I'll now have the benefit of your notes ! 

Cheers

Yon

lol - you mean follow me 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Hello yon

That netting looks fine and i can imaging it is awkward to do as it needs to be a very neat job, and I have it to come to. I have only seven more gunport lids to fit on the port side. And then I thought about doing the boomkins, but not sure yet. I have got some netting off some garlic I bought last week and will see how it looks, but think it may be to heavy if you know what I mean. When are you going to do the galleries. DAVID

Hi David

That's good progress with the gunport lids - well done.  It will be interesting to see if the garlic netting works for the hammock nets.

It will be some time before I get to the stern - I think Ill do the admirals companionway, 1/4 deck cannon and fittings, wheel & binnacle and then the poop deck and all those fittings first.

Cheers

Yon

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on the remaining cannon and quarterdeck fittings.  Then I fitted and planked the poop deck.  No real drama and I'm very happy that I don't have anymore cannon to rig.  Now I'll be finishing the poop fittings (flag lockers etc) and then to the quarter galleries and the stern which I imagine will be quite a challenge.

Here are the pictures:

post-464-0-56951200-1366708701_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-51641400-1366708724_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-04007100-1366708735_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-19901100-1366708750_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-93102600-1366708761_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-95541800-1366708775_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-52952400-1366708787_thumb.jpg

well done, my friend, yr about to do lots of bits that will change the overall appearance of the build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

look at gils and put the windows in so the sill is seen from the stern,

i lightly sanded each window on the 4 sides, and  placed a dab of c/a in the corners they fit lovely

keep an eye on the front and back of the windows they are slightly different, 

also the middle level ( i think)  are different again  there seams to be a top and bottom where six panes of each window are different to the top three, i put the 3 planes towards the top, not that it is noticeable when painted that much

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

also apart from the obvious sanding i also painted the inside of the stern pattern white to give a sense of depth

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Greetings again yon

Yep everything is looking good. The stern facia is not the daunting task you think it is. You will enjoy it. Your only problem is

The dreaded CA . Just fit them the way Kevin said they fit pretty easy. You can fit styrene painted black in the profile recesses for effect.

I look forward to seeing it all completed soon. Yep yon just keep on enjoying your build . Regards DAVID ( there you go. you got it back!!)

A quick update on the stern whilst the glue is drying.  As David says above its not as difficult as it looks and with Kevin's advice I think its going pretty well.

Here are some pictures

Thanks guys

Yon

post-464-0-68801100-1366983942_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-79601100-1366983953_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-51450700-1366983984_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-27633500-1366983999_thumb.jpg

Hello yon

Well done, it's looking very good. I look forward to seeing the whole section completed, it makes a big difference when you see it. When you fit the scroll work you may find you have an overlap on the edges, I don't know why. I think I trimmed a little off the two little chaps ( what ever they are ) below the scroll, I am not sure about this. Cracking stuff Yon. Here is a photo of mine, you can see what I mean about the scroll DAVID

post-96-0-56866800-1366986882_thumb.jpg

Hi David

Sorry I didn't see your post.  The stern facia has gone well thanks.  Just needs a little touching up and finishing off.

The quarter galleries are a nightmare.  I don't think I did a very good job of the inside pattern. Then I got confused and cut too much off the middle gallery thinking it was the top gallery.  Then I could not get the gallery to fit even with thick CA so I've pinned it in position.  I realise now that I should of pre-bent it into shape first. 

So I have my hands full and will need a great deal of filler to make this presentable !  Here are a couple of pictures.

Cheers Yon

post-464-0-28968300-1367243653_thumb.jpgpost-464-0-57772100-1367243664_thumb.jpg

Hello yon

Well the stern looks good to me. I had a prob with keeping the galleries in place, and also pinned them. I don't know how you have fixed the gallery glazing, I was worried about it coming off. Someone a while back ( I think it was Simon s ) mentioned fitting each individual window ready glazed, I wonder if that may a good idea, it would eliminate the curving if you understand, and no springing off. The thing I was looking to see on the stern facia was were the two flower pattern things ( whatever they call them ) on the lower edge of the stern facia finished. I had nothing to fit the brass profile onto, and had to improvise ( cheat ) by putting a small trim under the bottom of the facia if you know what I mean, and that gave me problems matching the brass profile around the bottom of the galleries. it may be worth looking at. I am sure all will turn out fine with your galleries, thanks for posting. Catch you later David