Newbie from NC

Just joined the site as a place to find answers, gain insight and view others accomplishments as I work on my own. 

I spent my youth building plastic models, mostly WWII German armored, but I did do Revels USS Constitution. I have always been fascinated by fully rigged sailing vessels and have wanted to build one. In 1999 I got a fantastic deal on AL’s San Juan Nepomuceno. I started it, and then the children came. Now 18 years later I am once again back to model building and have pulled the ship out of the closet. 

Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for me. 

154260CC-A8BC-4BDA-A257-0F948594985E.jpeg

Edited by quincypdog

Hi, Quincy, and welcome.

The San Juan Nepomuceno is a substantial undertaking! Right away I can see some potential for problems with your planking technique. Fortunately, we have some resources here that can help you out. Check here to find some PDF planking tutorials, and be sure to start a build log so that you can get some more tips, advice, and encouragement. I hope this turns out to be an enjoyable hobby for you for many years to come.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Hi Quincy,

Where are you in NC?  I recently relocated from NJ to the Coastal (Southport) NC area and would like to see if we could find some folks in the area who would like to meet periodically.  I believe there is a club in the New Bern area, but that's a haul from here.  Hopefully you are closer.  Let me know your thoughts, or if anyone else knows of a group in this area.  Thanks

Dennis Powell

Bolivia, NC

Quincy,  

Welcome to MSW.  I'll go along with what Chris said about a build log and the tutorials.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Quincy and welcome,

I started building the the San Juan Nepomuceno 3 years ago.  From the photo your model looks OK, mine was not, the material was mostly warped and the casting was of inferior quality.

I guess your kit is from A L Elite Series out of their branch in Hong Kong? Don't worry you will make mistakes as it is a difficulty 4 kit , but the main object is that you must enjoy it. I didn't start a blog OF my SJN on the MSW but i hope to do so soon. If you wish to correspond regarding the ship build frustrations, difficulties, and satisfaction:D. Let me know . This is my second kit.

Attached  are some pics. 

Regards,

Renato    

20170429_121707.jpg

20170920_125805.jpg

20161212_153410.jpg

20161118_112856.jpg

20160807_110606.jpg

20160429_122528.jpg

20160123_125930.jpg

20151005_185544.jpg

20150915_071421.jpg