Y.T.

HMS Victory by Y.T. - Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Another Grant here, following your build from Brampton. I have been given this kit to complete. It belonged to a friend's father. He had managed to get it to the bulkheads attached point before he passed away. I think that I have everything but I seem to be missing the first instruction sheet (Tavola no 1) but I have all the others. Has anyone been in contact with Mamoli? I hope that some instructions survived the fire. If not, would anyone care to scan this (rather large) sheet and send it to me? I will gladly cover all expenses.

Hi Grant. I was reading your post and perhaps I can be of some help. I am currently also building the victory by mamoli. I took some photos  of table 1 which I believe should be sufficient to your needs if you enlarge the photo. Not sure whether you also need the back side of the sheet, that is table 2. In that case please tell me and i will be happy to send some photos as well. Best regards

David

20190628_233048.jpg

20190628_232823.jpg

20190628_232759.jpg

Made myself a tool for mimicking nails on copper plates. 

2D71A0CB-C2D0-4912-B1FC-A877C451D907.jpeg

You could also use a pounce wheel. Look in a fabric or sewing store. There are many of these on the market for model builders so that they can reproduce aircraft rivet patterns in various scales.

Posted (edited)

No I was not able to find pounce wheel 48 marks per inch. Finest was 24 per inch. I am 1:96 scale.

Edited by Y.T.

I have a question about the rabbet on the keel. If the hull bottom is going to be painted (or copper clad), why go to all the trouble? If the hull is to be varnished, I can understand doing it. I have done a few without the groove and I have not experienced any problems. Am I missing something?

For our small models rabbet groove is for making a nice joint between keel and planks. Groove keeps planks from opining up on prow and allows to make nice joint at the stern. If you are satisfied with quality of joint you do, you do not have to cut rabbet groove. You are a ship builder. It is up to you to decide.

I was worried about cast curls. It appears they look not so bad after being adjusted with fine files. Do not worry about color of decorations. All will be painted at the end one color. The C-shape profiles provided with the kit had to be planed down from 3 mm wide to 2.5 mm wide to match with curls.

Cast metal ports continued to be my pain since I decided to install them. I spent not less than 40 hours filing them to square. I believe I finished with adjusting them but I still hate their appearance.

GrandpaPhil. Thanks for your “like”. Otherwise  I see not much responsiveness for my posts on this forum. Maybe I should stop posting for a while. 

Just joined this site. That's a great looking ship. Will be following this 

I'm doing the De Agostini Victory pretty much just started

Regards Erik

8 hours ago, Y.T. said:

Otherwise  I see not much responsiveness for my posts on this forum

Ah, don't be disouraged, perhaps the other 28 followers of your build tend to be  lurkers like me! I know that I keep up to date on your excellent progress but don't feel that I have anything of value to add. However, this has the unfortunate side effect of making me seem unappreciative of your efforts to share your work. Something for me to consider going forward....

Posted (edited)

Your Victory is going well.  I enjoy watching your progress.

I have a half built Mantua Victory.  I am planning on finishing it, most likely starting in August, because I need to finish my Prince de Neufchatel first, which is in the final stages of construction.

Your Victory gives me motivation, so please continue posting progress.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Posted (edited)

Starting copper the hull. I have to mention installing tape is remarkably easy. I did what you see in matter of few hours. 

72E64291-73B9-4FE5-AABB-604CC0E42B35.jpeg

Edited by Y.T.

Posted (edited)

Yt, my pc froze on your page 11, i missed everything you have posted on page 12.  Mate, I am using your build for inspiration rather than the mamoli plans!!!.  I am taking a short dry dock holiday while i finish off the last 2 jobs in the house.  I have managed to get in 50 hrs on the boat since I finished the extension but the admiral is getting at me for not finishing the rest of the house.  I have managed to put the curly cast pieces on and the C channels.  Just because we dont comment on every post you put on doesn't mean we aren't glued to your build like glue!!.. Keep up the excellent work my friend.   Spider.

here's my latest:                                                                                                                                                                                                                 https://modelshipworld.com/topic/18068-hms-victory-by-spider999-mamoli-190/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-641394

Edited by spider999

YT great progress, i can't believe that we are doing same kit as yours looks perfect and spider build looks great 
and as spider said i'm looking to your progress as inspiration rather than the mamoli plans.
Keep it up my friend looking forward for more progress.

Thanks guys. Now I feel relieved. Beside the point I am absolutely stunned with results of applying copper tape. It is unbelievably easy to mark with nails and installing. Also it lays itself out in very natural fashion. Probably it’s exactly the way plates were actually applied. Look. 

5787CA9E-0EF0-4319-B119-BCC7EA39764B.jpeg

355451A4-B88D-43A0-A16C-69D5354D91B2.jpeg

Let us remember copper plates on Victory were 14 inch by 48 inch. These are exactly to scale 1:90.

YT my friend, watching you build this boat is like watching Neil Peart play drums.....  give me a drum kit and some sticks and I could make a noise, put Neil in front of the same kit and he makes sweet music....

On 7/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, Jonesey said:

Looks fantastic!! Well done

On 7/12/2019 at 9:11 AM, Sea Hoss said:

Awesome look!

1 hour ago, spider999 said:

YT my friend, watching you build this boat is like watching Neil Peart play drums.....  give me a drum kit and some sticks and I could make a noise, put Neil in front of the same kit and he makes sweet music....

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your comments. 🙏

On 4/25/2018 at 7:52 PM, Y.T. said:

This is an "automation" of cutting deck planks. Recommend this. It improves speed and quality of planks cut.

*****************By the way after using this jig I must attest that this "tool" is huge productivity improvement.

IMG_5321.JPG

Similar to The Chopper. I picked mine up at Credit Valley Model Railway in Mississauga. Great place for stuff that you use for scratch building.

theChopper.jpg

Top rails are now complete. Here’s this half round element for Carronade  Mamoli doesn’t consider. 

125CE6D3-138F-4C3E-BA0D-5CF44803ECE6.jpeg

B0D4DC6C-91EA-416F-91F8-A97FD4B4A50C.jpeg

739CA11F-0FF4-49AD-8436-3337B7A162DE.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Here some different bitts. Skewed, straight. Fat and slim. Kit provided walnut lumber to make these items. I could not use teir wood for this. It splinters, chips off, it is a nightmare. I used mahogany from left over from AL San Francisco. This is excellent wood for carving.

2FA43AA3-6C95-4FD2-9961-3FDB99B3A26C.jpeg

Edited by Y.T.
adding

2 hours ago, GrantGoodale said:

Similar to The Chopper. I picked mine up at Credit Valley Model Railway in Mississauga. Great place for stuff that you use for scratch building. 

I checked this vendor web sit. Now they sell this kind of tool for $57. Your tool looks much more solid.

image.png.b28be1636becc0e4fd824965dcfcddad.png