Y.T.

HMS Victory by Y.T. - Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Scratch built this item (use of it to me is unknown, there is no any ropes around it so may be it is just a decoration). Canadian cent is same size as us cent. 

Caronade (8).jpg

B155864B-DB55-4BC7-8D3F-25A9BB68D79C.jpeg

Edited by Y.T.

Mamoli kit suggests this instead:

thing.jpg

Edited by Y.T.
add

Here is the last update. I consider this being a major breakthrough for my scaled wood ship building endeavour I started a few years ago. Since I started this relatively difficult Victory model I was always thinking that stern windows could be end of my journey. Why? Because I was afraid I would be not able to make them the way I like them. If I was not able to, I would just scrap building models anymore. Hesitating for a long while I at last jumped on it. It was very difficult. I threw away lots of materials and semi finished work. At the end surprisingly I liked the results. What you see is just a raw version. There is no mouldings around windows, no fine ornamental pieces and moulding profile details and no final yellow ocre and black paint. However I was able to finish one row of yet unpainted windows with mica glass and oak window frames. Look. What you think?

IMG_0141.jpg

E7ECB4E4-0CBC-432E-B2B5-1756626DA788.jpeg

Edited by Y.T.

Making windows:
1) Make cavities with glass supports for installing glass and main frames.
2) Make cardboard templates fitting snugly into cavities
3) trace outline of template onto mica representing glass
4) Cut mica with scissors to fit into cavities
5) Place mica into cavity
6) Secure glass (mica) by gluing wood strips representing main frame around cavity edges per Mamoli drawing presented above
7) Make main frame window posts creating multiple window openings
8) Now make secondary window frames as follows
9) make cardboard template of individual window opening
10) trace template onto sheet of paper
11) trace on paper plan of inter-crossing secondary framing.
12) cut out wood strips for secondary frames. I use self adhesive Oak veneer edge strip. Rolls of this are available at Home Depot.
13) glue strips onto paper making a secondary window frame. Some microscopic wood cutting and gluing is involved. I had to use magnifying glass doing this work. When dry, remove frame off the paper (very cumbersome tusk where all your work can be ruined. may be someone would help me on how to make it easier)

YT, dont know if you have happened across these guys and their build, been going 3 years now, am addicted to it.  got so much admiration for them, check out some (or all) of their videos, makes me want to build a boat.  oh, wait, I am.....

https://www.facebook.com/acorntoarabella/

this is their youtube page, up to no.92 so far.  At the very least watch the one where they pour the lead ballast keel, no.40

spider

Edited by spider999

1 hour ago, Y.T. said:

Let my trying to describe how windows are done. Here are supporting pictures. Explanations will be in next post.

61BA2DF0-796F-4009-B3FD-C37F4D9C1273.jpeg

96E7B623-D58C-401F-B248-3767559D8A78.jpeg

9633C8E0-4DF8-40B4-9CAA-091360B158C8.jpeg

A15B84A2-400C-45C0-8C31-1FE578E510BE.jpegYT you are making it look too easy.  you're doing a lovely job mate

Now issue of stern mouldings. 3 x 3 moulding strips given by Mamoli are number one too large for the scale, Number two they are too simplistic for me for liking them. I scratch built my own mouldings I will use for stern beatification. 

A1BE9662-64E5-49F3-8BB6-DD8AA98851A6.jpeg

A2B6CFA4-1F96-4940-9F47-D343F7EEE7B0.jpeg

It appears I don’t like handrail casting provided in the kit. Look. It doesn’t look right. This wouldn’t match with work I had done so far. 

434C0582-79F3-4F70-B56C-85243C31C87F.jpeg

These seem to be even better. I still was thinking I could use kit cast handrails which are most rear of stern. My wife looked at them and said no - these don’t match with work I had done so far. 

6C4FED2C-0686-49F5-88D6-87A38A7FB8B0.jpeg

Edited by Y.T.

Nope. I am building this looking at real Victory pictures and creating my own design interpretations. I spend tremendous time thinking on how I am going to build this or that element. I try and discard lots of materials before I say it is good enough. I set my standards high looking at how masters of this hobby build their ships. This is my second build. First one was AL SAN Francisco II. 

gotta say YT, given your attention to detail on everything so far I am sorely disappointed at the poor attempt to paint the Union flag, above the right hand figure.  You probably know it as the "Union Jack", it's only one of those when flown from a "Jack staff" on the bow of a Royal Navy ship.  If you look at it in the diagram below:  The broad white stripe should be on the Left in the lower Left quarter, and the Right in the upper Left quarter.

Diagram of the Union Flag's design

Only messing with you mate, but not a bad effort..., below is how to, and not to fly her:

150px-Union_Flag_on_staff_%28hoist_left%29.svg.png  correct way............

150px-Upside_down_Union_Flag_on_staff_%28hoist_left%29.svg.png  incorrect way!!  Look at the lower Left quarter, the broad stripe is on the Right!!!

The house job is coming on..  soon be back on my boat!!

Kind regards

spider

Hi Spider999. I am sorry 😐 to disappoint you even further as I consider this not bending an issue worth noticing. I am leaving it as is. 

Actually I think I fixed the Union Jack flag. I will show pictures later. Now the update.