50' 1888 Gaff-rigged Ice Yacht by Jack12477 - FINISHED - 1:24 scale

Hi Mark,  I don't have any first hand experience manning the tiller but from my observations riding on the ice boats there does not seem to be any significant vibration or kick, except if you go over a hummock, pressure ridge or open crack in the ice, then you really feel it - quite a jolt. But the tiller runner (as well as the fore runners under the runner plank) is designed to pivot vertically on a 1 inch diameter bolt that goes thru the chocks and runner, in addition the tiller runner has a fairly large rubber shock absorber between the runner and the backbone. So, normally the ride is smooth even over mildly rough ice (runner plank absorbs some of the roughness)

Yes, except for the fact that there is no hull per se, the rigging is pretty much like any other sail vessel. Almost all of the boats in our club are gaff rigged; we do have one Lateen rigged and one Marconi rigged.  Regarding the apparent wind, according to some articles I've read on the science behind why these boats go so fast, (in the simplest terms) the true wind pushes on the sail causing the boat to move forward and the sail to take the shape (form) of an airfoil (airplane wing); the apparent wind passing over the sail (airfoil) causes lift which in turn pulls the boat forward. This coupled with the almost complete lack of drag (friction) is what propels these boats to such high speeds. That's the most simplistic explanation - the science is a bit more complex. And the rules of navigation around other boats is similar also.  We refer to hulled boat sailors as "wet water sailors", while we refer to ourselves as "hard water sailors".

Yes it is a blast to sail on them. COLD but a blast. 

Here's a few more photos unrelated to the Rocket:

The "Fleet" gathered on the Hudson River in March 2014 (boats from our club plus several other clubs in NJ, CT, RI, Long Island NY) Note the 2nd boat in from the right with the number 1888 on the sail - this is Rocket from NJ the one I'm modeling here. The tall boat (6th or 7th in from right) with the American Flag flying from the gaff is our (HRIYC) class 1 boat (50 ft) Jack Frost. This is only a small fraction of the total boats still sailing.

IMG_3212.JPG.319a08ea62aaab8620ee4eb03ec45bd5.JPG

The Cold Wave with her double cockpit ( don't remember what club she belongs to or who owns her)

IMG_3262.JPG.63421a6f38e2322e1f387441d1b397fc.JPG

And the traditional "pot-luck feast" on the ice.

IMG_3320.JPG.07f9b4c6565722b60e68f2fa4468e4a4.JPGIMG_3324.JPG.b6126e10f647b651d62abafed870be1e.JPGIMG_3329.JPG.616693fe72c54dfe05ff673eab8f3dd5.JPG

Edited by Jack12477

wicked nice pictures!  :)  glad you were able to repair the broken gooseneck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Catching up on your ice yacht. It is coming along nicely. Love the details of this scale. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Been trying to fabricate the saddle for the gaff bridle, but haven't been able to make one that looks real on not way over scale. The look like the following pictures.

gaff-bridle-saddle-sketch.gif.a55e350dc2225a9b6d6fbd44ae9e8284.gif

gaff-bridle-saddle.jpg.db2e7e67a4d6a921fc19c3ef4a5b8dbb.jpg

Tried using some 1/16 hollow brass tubing filed down on one side to make a U shaped saddle but does look right to me.  So I will keep experimenting.

Edited by Jack12477

In the meantime things may get side tracked with family - I got a call the day after Memorial Day (US Holiday) that my younger brother's cancer treatment has stopped working and he's gone into at-home Hospice Care.  He's been fighting it for the past 5 years. This cancer has no cure.  Drove up to western NY yesterday (550 miles round trip in same day) to spend some time with him and his wife.  So I may disappear for a while as I will probably be making quite a few more trips up to see him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jack- I’m so sorry to hear about your brother and I hope his remaining days are spent pain free and in the warmth of love from you and the rest of his family.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Thanks John.  He passed away this morning at 6 AM Eastern time.  Funeral arrangements haven't been finalized.  He was 75.

Jack,

Very sorry to hear the news about your brother.  My condolences to you and his family.

Tom

John, Keith, Tom, Scott, thank you for your condolences. It's been a rough couple of weeks. His funeral was last Friday.  I'll be returning to the shipyard shortly.

so sorry to hear about your brother Jack........been  while since I've been able to view the scratch build forum {I get hung up in the kit forum}.   my condolences to you and your family  :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

11 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Thanks Denis. 

Yes, I've been following your escapades with COG and RGL over there.;)

He thinks he's having a hard time between the squealer and the nagger ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

59 minutes ago, cog said:

He thinks he's having a hard time between the squealer and the nagger ;)

Und wer könnte der Nörgler sein?

nawwww.......they just left me in the dust :D   they're much better with the PE than I am ;)   oh...no fair..............your speaking in tongues  ;)  :D 

they didn't tell me that there would be a floor show too....I'd 'ave brought me costume  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

9 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

oh...no fair..............your speaking in tongues  ;)  :D 

That's okay, Denis ! Yes the Nagger-in-chief does try to obfuscate us Native English talkers with his European lingo from time to time. ;):P

Hi Jack, just catching up. So sorry to hear of the loss of your Brother.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

• 2 weeks later...

First I would like to thank everyone for your expressions of sympathy on my brother's passing. It was much appreciated.

Back to the ice yacht build. 

After many failed attempts to make a bridle saddle for the gaff I decided to give up and use the split rings instead. Not having the machining or metal working skills and the extremely small size of the piece it was just too frustrating to continue.  The gaff is now rigged.  Next up is making the sails.  The Rocket as it exists today is rigged with modern sails with grommets instead of a bolt rope. I've got some very very tiny grommets I picked up in Michaels some time ago but there is no "anvil" for flaring the back side of it.  So I'm undecided as to whether I should replicate the modern sail or go with one that was probably used in 1888.  More research is needed on that item.

Photos below show the completed gaff as rigged.  The pulley blocks are Chuck's SYREN internally stropped 1/4 inch single and double blocks as are the cleats. The jig holding the gaff is copied from a jig Ed Tosti (@EdT) uses. (Thanks Ed for the inspiration. It's easy to build and easy to use.) The silver clips on the tip of the gaff is there just to provide some tension for the lines, the sail will provide the tension when completed. 

IMG_6111.JPG.338e4360c8339b2834a6a16f5346a12c.JPGIMG_6109.JPG.270b204aad0e69d5cda51f4b2a09b111.JPGIMG_6113.JPG.fe31de63a814f7d5e5bec0086c93821e.JPG

Nice work Jack.  The work around is sometimes the only solution.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks great Jack.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

• 1 month later...

Just a short update to let everyone know that I am still upright, ventilating, taking nourishment, and on the green side of the sod, as my Dad used to say. It's been so humid around here this summer that I've had no ambition to get into the shipyard and work.  And summer activities have also interfered.

I  did get the two sails cut out and sewn. I just need to attach the bolt rope, make some decals for the numbers, and attach them to the masts/spars.  I decided to forgo the grommets, couldn't get anything that looked right at this scale.

Hello Jack, we are having a rough stretch here due to the smoke from the wildfires in BC, I think I prefer the smoke though to the Humidity.

Michael

22 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Just a short update to let everyone know that I am still upright, ventilating, taking nourishment, and on the green side of the sod, as my Dad used to say. 

😂 I like that quote 😂

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 2 months later...

Completed the ice yacht last night.  Could not find any scale grommets and attempts to make the from KS brass tubing proved to be beyond my skill level, so I opted to use a bolt rope instead of the more modern grommets used on the current real 1:1 ice yacht.  Photos of the model are attached below. Sorry for the picture quality, can't get outdoors for better lighting due to the severe wet weather we're having. 

IMG_6143.JPG.f33e5a881f952a2b4827a329b397d34a.JPG

IMG_6149.thumb.JPG.9100ab0c598143f0e83b07fc26074dc3.JPGIMG_6150.thumb.JPG.8d98c7b3fe386b073481af83532ba57b.JPGIMG_6155.thumb.JPG.fe5d09b0988ab5b9da832b42d5a95e0a.JPG

IMG_6144.JPG.8c5098ca97f6872a9581acd1b3736774.JPGIMG_6145.JPG.a8c311dd3d9c038c4d6a35feffbdb6f2.JPGIMG_6146.thumb.JPG.0d6e83485678e5ff48c2437dbd4ea071.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG.d7ee45ff9c13c48d73e3c3d66c2d6e84.JPG

IMG_6151.thumb.JPG.357dce293af7228f27988ef2291e80a9.JPGIMG_6152.JPG.c858c5062bbb25ad0a2a2ea5213726d2.JPGIMG_6154.JPG.ff2cf36da9b4a619b188fede7136c495.JPG

And yes that is a "little person" sitting in the cockpit with their video camera ready to take a wild ride.

Edited by Jack12477

Beautiful job on a fantastic subject Jack. I am glad that you made it through your loss and were able to finish it.

I am jealous of the Lego guy. You will have to post his movie when he gets his ride this winter! :D 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey