Please consider donating to MSW to help keep this site running.  Although the internet provides for the free exchange of ideas, there are significant costs associated with maintaining Model Ship World.  Please remember that MSW is owned by the Nautical Research Guild, a 501(c)3 organization.  If you are a U.S. taxpayer, your contribution is eligible for a deduction on your 2018 taxes.  Just click on the donate box on the homepage.  Thank you for your support.

Yes indeed it is past due for our annual fundraising drive.  Any help you folks can give will be very appreciated.  As you can see we are really low on funds for the year as I usually start a drive in early January.  I have been so busy that its a little late this year.  

every little bit helps....$5......$10......$20........Lets try and get that kitty back up near 100% for the year.  :) :dancetl6:

Thanks 

Chuck

Although this is voluntary, I use some resources of the website, and the donation of 20-30 dollars is a small sum. I tried to register and learn to use paypal, and I decided that I would complete a donation this year.

Here's mine also.  While I still have a Ships in Scale subscription, the fact that it has gone down to four issues a year and is each one is getting smaller, leads me to believe that it may be on the way out. :angry:  Our web site may soon become our only source of information for ship modeling! :( So I guess that if one thinks of our donation as more of a subscription to an outstanding magazine, then perhaps more of us could donate to keep it going! :dancetl6:

Dave:

Ships in Scale isn't the only print magazine - The NRG's Nautical Research Journal also contains a lot of modeling information.  We cover a lot more modeling than in previous years.  The bottom edge of the magazine's cover has this on every issue "Advancing Ship Modeling Through Research".  The information contained in the Journal is aimed at helping to build accurate models whether the article is about some research topic or modeling skills.  Check out a complete downloadable issue on the website - https://www.thenrg.org/the-journal.php

The name of the Journal is a bit misleading with the amount of modeling related articles contained nowadays.

A NRG membership gets one the Journal 4X a year and helps a lot to enable the NRG to keep up the work we have done for 70 years - like supporting MSW.:)

Kurt

I renewed my NRG membership a few weeks ago at the Donor level; I assume that gets counted toward the MSW-specific fund drive. This continues to be one of only two places on the internet where I routinely engage with an online community (the other is a baseball site) and it's a fantastic resource.

Thanks to everyone for supporting MSW.  And a special thanks to our new NRG members.  Tasmanian, the donation box goes to PayPal.  You can insert any amount.  If you have any problems, contact Kurt or myself.  Aviator, if you are able to use PayPal you can help too.

First, I would like to thank Toni for getting the Funding Drive up on MSW.  We were long overdue and the slider didn't show how far down we really were!

Second, I would like to give a heartfelt THANK YOU!! to all who have responded so far!  Without your support there would not be a MSW.  For those of you who visit here often, but never give a dime, please consider donating.  People like Chuck and our moderators give freely of their time so that you can benefit from this site.  Let them know that you appreciate their efforts!

Mary Van Dahm

NRG Office Mgr.

To those who would like to give a donation amount other than what is listed under the Donation button, you may send a PayPal donation directly to our PayPal account: nauticalresearch@verizon.net

If you are here in the US, you may also call our office and Donate by credit card.  We accept Visa and MC.

Office hours are M - F 9am - 3pm Central Time.  If you get our answering machine, you may leave your phone number and the best time to reach you and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Thank You!

I have been a member of the NRG for a long long time. I have been a member of MSW since 2015. I think the NRG made one wise move to sponsor MSW and enrich it. It does so much to connect and disseminate information to those involved in this passion. I think it has made the NRG stronger.

For those of you who manage, enrich and monitor the site you have my gratitude. I"dial in daily"  and am taken with the work others do and have learned so much. Do not take this site for granted it requires a good deal of work. Support it!

Joe

And once again, maybe it worth trying to set up a Patreon page for MSW, as an additional way to fund it? 

So people can up a monthly contribution that would be fully automatic. The setup is very flexible, typically creators or websites set up different tiers (basic supporter / silver / gold / whatever). The fee is around 5% plus some payment system fee, but it seems to be pretty successful.

Example - the man who rebuilds an old, but nicely built wooden yacht: https://www.patreon.com/sampsonboatco/overview

He has a per-video payout.

Another example is a monthly support: https://www.patreon.com/clickspring/overview

This might be more effective than a semi-yearly "fundrising drive", and both could be used in parallel. Maybe worth trying? What is the downside?

Hi all

I completed my first donation today and done it in China through the Internet. I only donated $5 (the transaction fee is $1)-Maybe I'm a miser:piratetongueor4:. This is an experiment.If I use my card less than 4 times a year, I will be charged about $50 in credit card fees, (more than 4 times without paying a $50 annual fee), so I split more than 4 donations.

1 hour ago, NWSailor said:

Hello hjx,

You might want to edit your post, appears your card number is displayed at the bottom.

thanks NWSailor

That  data is not my card number, that may be another serial number, but in order not to cause misunderstanding, I delete it.thank you!

Thanks Marc.  It all helps as donations are way down for 2018. 

As was noted earlier today there is an upgrade taking place that will keep us up and running but it's going to cost more each month with the increased back up capacity.

US members can write off their donations to MSW on their taxes as the NRG is a 501(c)(3) organization.  If you let the office know you made a donation using pay pal we can send a donation receipt letter (email actually) acknowledging your donation so you have a record for your taxes.

Kurt