Enterprise 1799 by mikiek - FINISHED - Constructo - 1:51

Hello Rowboat - I apologize for leaving you hanging for so long. I am just now getting back to E and trying to finish up.

Maybe you are past this stage now, but as to your question - forestays do not have blocks, the backstays do use a tackle that attaches to the deck with an eyebolt. Of course your shrouds will be rigged to the deadeyes and you will need to add ratlines to those. NOTE: the plans do not show ratlines on the shrouds running from the main top up to the top and top gallant masts. You may want to add those.

Your running rigging will almost always have at least one block and often two usually near a mast or yard and the other end will run down to the pin rail. Make sure you have all blocks seized to masts or yards before you start playing with rope. Trying to add those later is not fun. It is worth rechecking your parts with the plans to make sure you have them all in place.

While I gripe about the plans somtimes, they did a smart thing when showing the rigging by breaking it up into multiple drawings. That way you can focus on one area and be pretty sure you haven't overlooked something. Find the drawings that have running rigging going down to the pin ring on the mast and fife rail and do those first. Then work out from there. If you do the opposite you will be reaching thru outside ropes to reach inside.

I also did all the fore/aft sails and jibs before moving to the square rigged ones. Again, those are inside and easier to get to if you do them first.

You caught the suggestion to not glue any pins while you are working. In fact I just put a post in the rigging forum asking about not gluing the pins at all. I am seriously considering that. I have another model on display and after just 2 years on display several of the ropes are droopy and with the pins glued there is no way to adjust them. I'll let you know how that conversation turns out.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

This post has been helpful in regards to the pins. I am going to try a different plan. Up to now I have been threading a line thru a hole in the pinrail and then jamming a pin in the hole to hold the rope. I was going to eventually glue the pin in place. That makes it almost impossible to tighten lines in the future if needed.

Instead I will try a couple of under and over wraps around the pin, like would be done in real life. Then I'll put a little white glue on the rope to fix it. I can leave almost an extra inch hanging and that should be covered by the coil and the extra will give me some slack to play with if I have to readjust. It's a slow process as I have to hold the rope in place while the glue dries.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

On 8/27/2020 at 3:29 AM, mikiek said:

Auger - your sails appear to be like mine. Someone else commented here that the sails from their kit did not look like mine. Since you are in France I assume you bought your kit over there? I bought mine from Cornwall Models in the U.K.  Do you happen to remember if there was a sail upgrade option when you bought your kit? I sort of remember that but I can't say for sure. Otherwise we have been wondering why the sails in kits from the same manufacturer would be different. Only other reason I can come up with is maybe a US version and a E.U. version of the kit?

Yes these are the kit sails in my photo and I did purchase the kit here in France. Back when I built it, I don’t recall there being any sail upgrade kits available. I tossed around the idea of making my own at the time but just went with what was provided.

Completed Builds: AL Bounty Jolly Boat, Constructo Enterprise (logs lost in the great crash)

Current Builds: Constructo Bounty, AL King of the Mississippi

Up next: undetermined 

@mikiek

Thanks for the info.

Still working on rigging the "standing" lines.

I am trying to figure out where all the blocks and tackle go into the masts (fore and main) but it's a challenge.

The plans sometimes show a block with only a line drawn to the mast.

For example in the schematic, on the fore mast at the tree trestle there is a block on the aft side that ties into an eyebolt but on the bow side there are two blocks with only a line drawn to the tree trestle. Not sure how blocks like these are supposed to be attached, if they attached at all. It looks like the two blocks will hold up the fore sail.

Because of things like this I am not sure if I should put eyebolts in now or not at all. Doing it later, would be tough as you have mentioned.

Probably a week away from finishing the standing rigging.

Current Build:

Enterprise Maryland 1799 Scale 1:51 Constrco

Previous Build:

Baltimore Clipper - Dos Amigos

Rowboat - let me know which drawing you are referring to and I can help you decipher it.

Sometimes when the drawing is shown from the side there may actually be 2 blocks (side by side) and they only show one. For instance on the rigging page on the big drawing, the head of the lower & middle jib sails each have a block attached to them. However the rope that goes thru each block looks like they both go back to a single block. In fact, there are 2 blocks, one for each sail. The 2 mini drawings that show the jibs kinda show this. One drawing shows the bottom jib and its tackle. The other shows the middle (and top) jib and its tackle. So sometimes you can put it all together from the combination of drawings.

• 2 months later...

Thanks mikiek,

I'll take some pics of the lines as soon as I can.

I did have 2 lines that are used to hoist the foremast and topmast (I believe) which ran through a hole in that mast.

The instructions do not show where the lines go.

In fact, the first line I made was short because I didn't know where the line ties off.

I decided it must tie off at a belaying pin so I redid everything and made the lines longer.

I did find some lines with numbers that map to a belaying pin schematic, that will help.

Current Build:

Previous Build:

• 1 month later...

Reading through your build log one more time I found this picture of the running rigging.

Your schematic of the rigging lines is much more detailed than mine.

I have one picture of the main mast with the 3 yards on them.

Then some rigging lines coming off the yards, that's it 🥵.

No wonder I am having such a hard time with rigging 🤢.

I even see in the image below there are details for the 3 jig sails, I have none.

Luckily, I have help from you guys.

image.png.24b2aa2739bd233abac5143aad4e3dcb.png

Current Build:

Previous Build:

Rowboat I posted my drawings to your thread. Maybe that will help. I believe your plans are older than mine. Since you have a paid version of the plans I don't think there is any copyright issues in doing so.

• 2 months later...

Well I guess this is it. A few retrospective comments. Overall, the build went without too many hitches. I think the worst task was getting the false deck glued to the frame pieces due to the curvature of the frame tops. That actually turned me off enough to shelf this model for about 8 months. Besides that, this was my first double planking kit and I still say - what a waste. Sure it helps with the outer planking - if you need it - but it is double the work. I much prefer to just get it right the first time and be done with it. This was also my first build with full square rigged sails. Or at least sort of since there were some fore/aft sails as well. I guess I must have ordered a sail upgrade kit - there were several comments from viewers claiming their sails did not match mine.  I had several threads with rowboat as he was building the same model but evidently an older or newer kit than mine. Same manufacturer, but his plans were different. Particularly the rigging/sail drawings. So beware if you decide to use any of this to influence your build. The guns were kind of funky. They looked sort of like carronades but the carriages didn't quite match. You might consider a bash here, but I didn't. Also I went with minimal coloring. While probably not terribly realistic, I think the supplied wood looked quite nice with just some lacquer, so that's the direction I took. Even the guns I left as brass rather than painting or blackening them.

The build has been compete for about 5 weeks but I have struggled with producing decent final images. I am working my way into photography so selfies just don't cut it. I have worked with several lighting setups - some working better than others. But I need to get this project to closure, so here's what I have ended up with:

_MOK0061.thumb.JPG.215463a205ea676ecc188b54825a314e.JPG

_MOK0062.thumb.JPG.5e8ef7bd3a0b9381655fd336012d5565.JPG

_MOK0064.JPG.21c23824617033ae064e45514829d0dc.JPG

_MOK0065.thumb.JPG.5883c631977cd9caf4b8a1f6f296e239.JPG

_MOK0068.JPG.a9dff5ead75192faad249d7a8a7c3857.JPG

_MOK0072.thumb.JPG.d230c941349c4da24834979fd69525c3.JPG

_MOK0073.thumb.JPG.b543c1823d44d7b9e1e65692a89882d2.JPG

_MOK0076.thumb.JPG.b8b80a033769a58ce3ea9737bdb48125.JPG

_MOK0079.thumb.JPG.836f28540f6495abf46f67d9a41c4331.JPG

_MOK0082.thumb.JPG.143db0e1f8648d9b58b787a3d6ac74b6.JPG

_MOK0085.thumb.JPG.c0d41b89b5a1876ab38538d47f978e5d.JPG

_MOK0087.thumb.JPG.d7df02f99ede4109d5ba45fb513c07df.JPG

_MOK0088.thumb.JPG.b6628642fef3c55eca813086a9697497.JPG

One more post to tag this as finished. Thanks to all who followed along. I commend your persistence, given the huge gaps in reporting my progress. BTW - I will be giving this model to my father who has been waiting patiently for almost 2 years for me to complete.

Considering Corel Eagle as my next build.

Congratulations -- a very attractive finished product! The Spanish kits do tend to have nicely contrasting woods that look great sans paint. Your photos look good from here -- don't forget to create a gallery album.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Chris, Ian - thanks to you both. I appreciate your looking in. I'm still trying to decide if I have a display case built for this one.

• 2 months later...

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I hope you have figured out your question by now but for the record - the waterway at the bow is several smaller pieces each edge bent a little. A joint is made for each piece so it can be fit to the next end to end. Each piece is slightly off angle so it bows a little from the previous stick. After its all dried just sand down the edges.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...