Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hi everyone! There's a lot on my plate at the moment, so I haven't had time to be as active as I'd like lately.

I have finished the skankläder (war cloth?) for the tops. I then started with the tackles. I was surprised how much work they where. First I reshaped all the block to make them more like the real ones. Then I drilled the holes slightly bigger to fit the ropes I wanted. After that I made the hooks connecting them to the channels before putting the tackles in place.

/Matti

post-3739-0-56340400-1418130388_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-80493500-1418130410_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-38120400-1418130366_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-00410300-1418130346_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

truly beautiful work!  ;)    I'm in awe Matti!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Matti, that is just beautiful!

I am so glad to see a true Wasa master.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sweet work, Matti.   As I recall, the rigging at times was a rat's nest but it all comes together.  You're doing a great job.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

hello matti   that is great work that u are doing iam still going over my plans and doing lot of reading on the wasa to help me out 

Thank you for the kind words and likes everyone!

Dragzz, there are much info to be found just by searching the web, but it may also be a challenge to find what you need because it's so much. There is a new Vasa book (Vasa II) coming out in a while, and it will focus on the rigging That will be a good read for any Vasa builder. I think Fred Hockers "Vasa a swedish warship" is a big help and inspiration. I really like Landströms Vasa book also, it builds on old facts so some stuff is wrong, but it´s great for understanding the ships and shipbuilding in the time she was built in.

Since we are building the same model and version, I'd be happy to give pointers if you need any.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all! I´ve got ill since posting last time, a small inflammation in the heart. I now eat medicine that will cure the inflammation and after that I should be fine again.

Anyway I made some small progress on the model last days. I have decided what setup I want and I will make her when she got her masts in place, perhaps during the early summer of 1628. I think the unfinished look is interesting and dynamic.

So I have made the second step of the main mast and the rigging for how to raise it after info from Fred Hocker. When it was in place I could glue the tops and then continue with the ropes that connect the shrouds to the tops.

I have also prepaired the railing. Fragile stuff so fingers crossed I will be able to add them later on.

post-3739-0-84537400-1419172348_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-28140300-1419172333_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-54411600-1419172343_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-94912500-1419172326_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-15682900-1419172319_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

The 1st photo in the last post is really cool. So will you add workmen to help show what's going on?

I'm glad that medication will cure your condition. The doctors confirmed what we already knew - you are a nice guy with a big heart! Heal well my friend, you are in our thoughts. Happy Holidays.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Hi Matti

I am sorry to hear of your condition and my thoughts are with you.I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you and your family have a fantastic Christmas.

Your work is fabulous,as always and I look forward to seeing the 'work in progress' look you are going to depict.I do not think I have seen this shown before,at least,when not part of a diorama.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Hi Matti,,, sorry to hear about your illness, luckily today we have a lot of medications that do wonders, so..... don't  forget to take your meds!!  :P

and  a "Merry Christmas" to you and your family.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Many thanks fellas! Yeah, the meds seems to be working well, and after all the tests I know everything else is in order. 

I haven't decided fully about the figures. One idea is to have one for scale. My thoughts about figures is that they tend to make the model feel like a photo, not like it would be "live". This doesn't mean I don't love to look at models with figures as I definately do so.

Nigel, I haven't seen any examples either. Landström has one fantastic painting of a ship after a storm and the masts stroked (thats the words I hope). It looks very cool. I also think this gives me a chance to make the models proportions interesting, for me it makes her look like a 17th century dutch yacht. Finally it's a nod to the ship at the museum, as she has the winter set up.

Merry Christman to you too Framk!

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Hola Matti:

Sorry to hear about your heart inflammation.  I am sure you will be fine pretty soon.  The medicine has achieved incredible advances this years, I am a living example of this: I had an open heart surgery 5 years ago and I am like new.

Happy holidays and an incredible 2015,  Karl

Matti,

I'm glad to hear the meds are working and I'm also loving the progress on Wasan.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Matti,

During a somewhat quiet day at work today, I was browsing MSW and called a colleague over to show him pictures of your Wasa. 

To say that he was enthralled would be an understatement !!

He kept insisting I page back through all of your pictures.

(All the while muttering, "Are you kidding ?!?!", "Wow !!", and "Seriously ??")

You have gained yourself a new fan from the non-modelling community.

:cheers:

PS: Get well soon, Dude.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Matti: To say that your rigging is coming along very nicely is an understatement. It looks just terrific. Congrats!!!

I wish you a prompt recovery from your illness with all my heart.

Happy Holidays.

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Praying for a full recovery for you. Your work is outstanding!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I echo the same Matti.........hope your feeling better and have a great holiday season!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch