Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hey all! I did the anchors yesterday. I planned to scratch them as the kit version was to round in shape and they where the same size. When looking closer I realized they could be reshaped to a better shape and that one could be resized quite easily so that's what I ended up doing. The plastic was easy to work with.

I made the wooden parts out of wood instead of the plastic ones that came with the kit.

The rings are rope with CA to make it hard, with smaller thread looped around it.

post-3739-0-23624200-1419680559_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-92484400-1419680561_thumb.jpg

When I was working o the rigging the other evening I used a lamp to see the details. When we looked up on the ceiling it gave a pretty cool shadow effect.

post-3739-0-46940800-1419680564_thumb.jpg

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

they look really good Matti........you can see the imaginative thought you put into them.  the stocks look like they were hewn,  as I'm sure they were shaved to shape back in those days.  being of plastic,  were they both the same size?   very well done  ;)

I hope your doing better my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks pops! Here is the original part compaired to the one I scratched. I think it's a generic part used in more kits.

Yeah the ones in the kit was the same size, but I shaped one down.

post-3739-0-31471500-1419689390_thumb.jpg

Here are reference pictures:

post-3739-0-12713600-1419689610_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-22622600-1419689481_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-36432300-1419689479_thumb.jpg

Landström also have great drawings on it.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

there's no question about that.......I can agree how manufacturers can be so generic with their supplied parts.  my experience with Billing kits has shown this many times ;)   with the degree of detail that you've put into your vasa,  I can see why you chose to scratch these parts  :)   you've truly captured the original!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hey all! Here are some progress pics:

I've put the ropes on the anchors. I based them on the description in Landströms book.

post-3739-0-94950200-1420034208_thumb.jpg

I want to have a svabel so I scratched one.

post-3739-0-16308500-1420034211_thumb.jpg

And here I have rigged one of the anchors, the svabel. I also made and positioned the penterbalk but it's not showing on the pics.

post-3739-0-68978700-1420034201_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-66936800-1420034204_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-67863000-1420034206_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Just stunning, as always, Matti.

I feel like I've been transported back to the 17th Century !!

(PS: Help me out ... Google doesn't know what a 'svabel' is)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I agree, stunning!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks Buck! I used straws from an old brush to get it in scale. CA glue it to the stick and then trim and it to shape. I did two tests before I managed to get it right.

And yes, my fingers where hairy afterward. ;)

Here is a part of Eendracht by Willem Van de Velde showing two svablar and the look I tried to make:

post-3739-0-67850300-1420128543_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

very realistic Matti........your not missing a thing  ;)   sweet!   a good New Year day to you good sir!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Matti, that looks just awesome!!!........love your detail work, right down to the broom! Very Nice.

Frank

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hey all! Last days I've managed to do some more details. The railing was less problems to get in place than I imagined. It fitted very well to the shape of the ship. It was a good advice to do it last Nigel as its fragile by it's nature. The ropes holding the anchor and the others hanging will be corrected when the model is positioned on the stand and I can tell how it should hang.

post-3739-0-14245000-1420312738_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-67127600-1420312731_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-36965200-1420312759_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-30511600-1420312750_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-39497600-1420312769_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-62210100-1420312755_thumb.jpg

And with this it turns out I'm done with the model. It's a mixed feeling as I'm happy to have reached my goal but also feel a little sad as I'll miss working on it and talking to you all about it. It has been a great inspiration and source of knowledge, so thanks eveyone for the help and support!

These will likely be the last outdoor pctures of her and I will now start on the case so more to come.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Oh what? It is done? Ouch... Maybe there is a missing chapter in the book? Please please continue! :)

Ok, just kidding, CONGRATULATIONS!

What is your plan for the next build?

Beautiful work, Matti.   I'm looking forward to seeing her in the stand and in the case.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So, a svabel would be a swab, I suppose. As in "Arrrrh yer scurvy swabs!"

A magnificent build, Matti. A pleasure to see.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Congratulations on the completion of a magnificent model mate :wub:  :wub: It has been a joy to follow along and I look forward to seeing her in the case.I think your method of displaying the masts is a great idea and one worth considering as an alternative to stub masts if you don't wish to contend with displaying a model of full height.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Great outstanding job, Matti. You have to be proud of what you've accomplished. Can't wait to see what's next!!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Thanks all! It feels a bit empty and sad not to plan for the next stage anymore. But at the same time it feels nice to start to plan for the next subject.

I'm using legs from an old table to put under the display case so I now add furniture carpiting to the list of new stuff I needed to learn to do this model. ;)

Tony, I'm happy if it can help, and during this build I've gathered a supply of reference of the ship and 1:10 model so perhaps I can help if there are questions.

Thanks again, both for the comments and likes!

/Matti

PS: You got the post 1628 Nigel!

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa