Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Look'n good Matti.....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautiful work and photography, Matti.  The second and third pictures made me do a double-take as it looks like the real thing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Agree with Mark. Some pictures really build some doubt as if they were taken from the big ship itself. You have a fantastic model to show. :D

so good to see your Vasa again,  and the progress you've made on her.........really well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Matti,

It's been a while since I posted, but I've been stopping by frequently to catch up on your Vasa.  I love it!  

Dee Dee  

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

Hi Matti

all I can say: fantastic. The natural light and the natural colors of the ship make a so realistic impression...

Best wishes

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hey all! Here are some pictures of the shrouds:

post-3739-0-43120900-1411216356_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-44079000-1411216362_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-39353500-1411216372_thumb.jpg

Quite enjoyable stage of the build, and changes the look of the model alot, at least in my eyes.

The ratlines will be testing my nerves though Im sure...

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti,

She evolving mate and looking great as usual.

Just take your time with the ratlines, use the correct knot and don't over tighten the thread, you don't want to distort the shrouds.

Looking forward to more updates mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Nice work, Matti.   I don't want to intimidate you but as I recall there's 3500 knots.  Just take them one at a time and pretty soon the rhythm will be there and you'll be flying along.  Oh.. hold off on the rats until you get as much of the standing rigging done as possible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You'll have no problem with the ratlines Matti, with your skill you'll breeze right thru. Follow Mobbsie's advice on not over tightening , and you should get the sag you're looking for. Have Fun!!!!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Matti,

OK you are starting in an area that you were not so comfortable (same with me) Looks excellent one would never know of your earlier shared doubts. As Mark says, its one knot at a time (;-) Looks great.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

That last picture is a beauty, the natural lighting really works to show her Glory.

I'd be stunned over the quality of work you've done, but honestly Matti, your spoiling us. We expect excellence from you and It's obvious that you gifts aren't just paint related. Great Job Mate!

As I've said before I always hated the red Vasa, it think just from always seeing the light blue previously. But after so many looks at your build I have been converted to her true colours.  Just wondering, have you been back to the museum and shown them your build? You could make a living doing this I believe.

I always love when the shrouds go on and it fills the spaces and prepares her for her wings, BTW are you adding sails?

Many thanks for the nice word and likes everyone, it makes me very happy and easier to continue! Yeah I have lot's of knots ahead of me, but I'll wait with any ratlines untill later. It's allready difficult not to destroy anything when working with the model. Soon I have to glue the bowsprit, something I dont't want as it will make her more difficult to handle.

The colors are my take on the Vasa look. Aesthetically my idea is to let them symbolice her fate I used bone yellow, earth brown, blood red. These are more muted and natural colors that blends well, and perhaps not as eyecatching as I imagine the real Vasa colors were.

I havent really decided about the sails. I'm worried about my ability to make them look realistic and in scale. I may have them rolled up (I forgot the right word for it). I have a few other ideas also.

Thanks again all!

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Hi Matti

dont want to repeat all that was said before - but it is really true: Your Vasa is great. And the ratline will come one after another until your forget the time passing by... I found it very relaxing although you always have to be cautious not to run out of the line... I see you build the masts not at one whole part but step by step. I will try this method with my Royal Caroline whenever I reach this part.

Keep on knoting :D

Best regards

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Hi Matti!

Love the middle picture in the last series - it looks so 1:1!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if the Vasa museum asks you to display your ship at the museum when you finish. Your hard work at getting the paint shadings just right and getting the very subtle 'wonkiness' of the ship so perfect, have elevated your build to a level beyond what I would have thought possible at this scale. Truly masterful work! The rope work is looking flawless.

Best wishes

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

This looks very good Matti.

We are making a new standard all together with our Red Vasa's

Your Vasa does almost get the same level as the models in the museum. Once Fred has seen this model........

I assume you are also waiting for the Vasa II book in order to start with the other rigging. For the completion of this part it is not a requirement. Let's hope it will be ready after you finished your 3000 knots

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard