Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hi Matti...

all the mates said it before: A GREAT Job on the Wasa so far. The planking and now the ratlines - you are a master of this work. And I really love the Kind of photography you do on your ship. The natural light gives he hull a more realistic view than any artifical light can do.

Cheerio my friend

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Nice job Matti...

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Matti

I'm not going to heap praise on you mate, it's all been said and it's justified to.

Your eyeball didn't let you down did it, I tell you, if eyes were transferable I'd be the first in the in line. 

Keep it up mate your doing a superb job.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thank you so much Frank, Lawrence and mobbsie!

Andy, the gunports location is on the big 1:1 plan. If you like me want to try to make their locations more wonky and irregular, look at reference off the real ship, the official plans and of the 1:10. If I remember correctly the BB has a few gunports missing on their setup.

Will you replace the kits fake gunports with open ones? (Recommended)

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

nice progress Matti,  very nice shroud work.   I'll look forward to your next update......sounds like your really busy!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi...

I agree completely. When I did my first model, the Half Moon, I wanted to be as exact as possible. So I tried various methods to get them ratline in a line. At least I did it also just by eye - and was not dissapointed by the result. And yes - its some kind of medidation :)

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Matti,

Just checking in on your progress and all I can say is that it is beautiful.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

Sorry to hijack into that log, but I found an interesting post. Wasa museum is building a small section of the hull, historically correct.

It is under construction, and the latest info is here: http://www.vasamuseet.se/sv/Skeppet/Skeppsbloggen/Hakan-Altrock/Nyanser-av-gratt/

Looking forward to see it!

Here they shoot a replica cannon at that section. Beautyful stuff!

http://www.svtplay.se/klipp/2419510/efter-lang-vantan-vasakanonen-avfyras

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

I wonder how they patched that holes while being in the sea.. How the ship looked like after a first battle.

And here is a good slo-mo of the hull damage: 

Edited by Mike Y

I don't have the site marked but there's a film of the Niagara (mockup) being shot at with a carronade and using Styrofoam dummies.  The damage from splinters is incredible. 

edit: found it:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfsuIaTU92Y

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice vid Mark! I remember that Mythbusters did their own test like this. And after some googling here is a compilation of their test:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/6542-mythbusters-pirate-pig-splinter-test-video.htm

And yeah the pigs makes it all feel... well bad taste. But if I remember correctly their experiment had the right velocity and thickness of wood, and the pigs does show how a human would be affected by the hit pretty well. 

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Cheers Lawrence and Tony! I don't plan to use the lantern and didn't prepaire for any lighting for it.

We can't know how one would look, but after seing lanterns on Vasa models like Marks, I got an urge to do one so I may change my mind later on.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Hey all, here is an update finally. I've done the other side of the mainmast and made the portside of the mizzen mast. I found it difficult to imitate the sagging curves of the original, but it was easier on the mizzen as the shrouds are angled straight up. First a reference pic I took at the museum:

post-3739-0-19787500-1414666334_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-49535100-1414666426_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-97817400-1414666433_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-41015600-1414666442_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-59907300-1414666451_thumb.jpg

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Did you consider to use a mixture of the white wood glue with water (50/50%) and then fix each knot with a small drop of this mixture using a small old brush

consider that CA might break after several years and this is a very hard glue connection which can also break after touching once you are finished.

this is my experience as well from several experienced builders in the Netherlands, we try to not use CA on shipmodels except when all other glues cannot be used

I am using CA only to make a needle from the beginning of a rope so this makes it a lot easier to have the rope in small openings from blocks etc.

What I have used with excellent results is flat clear varnish. It dries flat, invisible, no shiny spots as with CA and is just strong enough to do the job.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

As always the photos are as much a part of the beauty as the Wasan herself.

The last 2 photos of the port bow and stern are perfectly angled for maximum effect of the sculpture viewing and the Wasan's great tumblehome shape that is so strikingly beautiful.

The photo of the rat-lined shrouds reaching to the sky, makes me think of a favorite Zeppelin tune... and she's climbing a stairway to heaven....

Beautiful work. Just stunning!

Excellent job Matti! I read on the Vasa forum that the shrouds may need to be configured differently according to Fred at the museum. Are you going to continue with yours or wait until the rigging book comes out? Have you heard any news as to when the book is due out?

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Hey all, here is an update finally. I've done the other side of the mainmast and made the portside of the mizzen mast. I found it difficult to imitate the sagging curves of the original, but it was easier on the mizzen as the shrouds are angled straight up. First a reference pic I took at the museum:

What a wonderful comparison!

Love it, Daniel

Edited by dafi

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html