Wasan 1628 by Nazgul - FINISHED - Billing Boats Vasa 1:75

Hey all, went to the museum yesterday, and took some more pics.

Galleries and the small windows plus some details first then some pics for Michael. Sorry for the poor quality on the last one as it is really dark at that area, but Michael you can see where the hole is.

/Matti

post-3739-0-09135400-1373186839_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-54279000-1373186898_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-91190000-1373186905_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-81077200-1373186911_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-52251700-1373186919_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-29330400-1373186927_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-28792500-1373186984_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-21556600-1373187017_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

Great pics. These will also help me. Especially the Large drain on the side of the hull,  rope pulley frame just above the chainplate brace for the poop deck mast. I see the deck drain hole. It is a bit above the deck edge side trim (:-)

I'm happy that you are feeling better.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Just got done reading (and looking at your pics) your entire log. AMAZING! What a ship. You are doing a great job with the the build. Will be keeping an eye on your build log and am confidant it will turn out beautifully. 

Mark S.

1st Build : John Alden Sloop / kit bashed

Thanks for all kimd words, fellas!

It sure is nice to be able to visit her. This time they opened the door while I was in line to get in. It felt almost surreal to stand outside and see her. I had my family with me this time, and its fascinating to see the impact she has on kids.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Strange as it may seem I was there last Monday on the 1st July and yet to sort the pictures out, she makes a great model subject, a ship I have admired for for over 50 years since I heard about her story.

Sorry to hear on your damage, I hope its ok now?

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Wolf, thanks for the very kind words! Mixing the stain to a nice shade was a bit tricky. Try it on spare planks before starting anything. Once its applied, I use acrylics and pastels for different shades. Light sanding between layers makes them merge. Airbrush a light coat of varnish to bound the pastels once in a while. A lot of washes in different shades of brown. I mix all my colors trying to get control.

Norman, yeah I strenghtened the area, and it seems fine. Visiting the museum is very inspirational.

I went to the doctor as I turned ill again, and it turns out I do have pneumonia. Now I got antibiothics, so hopefully Ill get better now. It would have been better if the nurse I talked to the first time would have let me come in for a check.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Thanks Wolf! The varnish makes it slightly darker, so take it into consideration. I use acrylic washes, oil works well too, but Im used to acrylics. The pastels are hard crayons turned to dust, just use and mix the colors you like. Then apply with a cotton bud or brush. Pastel dust must be bound with a coat of varnish, before doing the next steps.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Matti,

I love the way you are building her.  Great job and great pictures of the real ship. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you Lawrence and Mark!

Lawrence, For my style, acrylics works best, and I love to not have any fumes with small kids around. I like how easy it is to blend and mix, and the ease to wash the air brush and brushes. I also get a good matt finish. I can also use my fingers to "smudge" dirt realistically, and just go and wash my hands before I continue.. Like you I would look at solvent based stuff if I wanted a gloss result, at least a solvent based varnish to finish it off with.

There are many great tutorial films on youtube if you search for oilwash, filters, model weathering, acrylic washes.

/Matti

Billing Boats Vasa

Yay, finally I could do some work today. I glued the top wale/list. Also cut out one of the small windows from kajutan, and the rearest smaller gunport, and also my favourite: the message port located near the waterline. This is done on both sides. 

Sorry for the smoke in the pic, but its barbecue time.

/Matti

post-3739-0-23878600-1373563085.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

I've said it a hundred times, but I have to say it once more... that is the best paint job I've ever seen!  I wish I could give all my builds such a realistic weathered look.  Absolutely brilliant!

Time for me to go and braai (barbeque) as well.

Wolf

Current build : San Francisco II (AL)

Cheers, Lawrence and Wolf, your kind comments are most apreciated! Enjoy your bbq, wolf.

I wasnt entirely happy with the red I blended earlier and started to make a new one. The old one had to much brown in it and didnt go right with the tarred brown hull. The new nuance is warmer and while the new red isi close to the first one, its more vibrant. I repainted some of the redpainted areas, but I think it will be interesting to have some of the old red left. Like I said its very close, but Im getting more of the "blood" effect Im after with this.

/Matti

Edited by NAZGÛL

Billing Boats Vasa

Yeah, its important to get it how you want it, and difficult to know how colors will blend as the build evolvs. Against light wood, the first nuance lookes different.

Here is how it looks now. Its more blood red in real life. Painted the planks a little different from each other to give the paintjob life and scale.

/Matti

post-3739-0-83288900-1373805627_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-10587800-1373805634_thumb.jpg

post-3739-0-15286700-1373805640_thumb.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa