Robert E Lee by LFNokia - FINISHED - Amati - 1:150

Considering th next steps on the build, the boat will not b that easy to move arround, flip and overall handle, some areas won't be as easy to acces, so the time as come, to complete some of the aging process, starting by the bottom

so i've retouched the hull, did some aging with pigments, and applied a couple of coats of matt varnish, here are the photos of the process and a few of the final result

1557255472970.jpg

1557255473263.jpg

1557255473104.jpg

1557411522313.jpg

1557411522195.jpg

1557411521991.jpg

1557411521846.jpg

1557411521935.jpg

I really, really, really love the weathering you have done, especially the bottom of the deck, and the rudder and it's vicinity.

Interesting saws, where did you find those  Tried them out yet?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

second that!   nice job with the weathering....looks super  ;)   wonderful progress!   curious about those saws too........they look cool! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...

I must say....your weathering is impeccable.......but these vessels were known for being clean and pristine.   there would be a lot of upkeep done on these vessels.   I love what you did.......but if you were going for the 'ghost ship appearance'......you nailed it!   sorry......I have to be honest here.

don't change it on my account........you have quite a work of art here ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nothing to be sorry about, i did went to a very weathered look, and as anyting in this hobby, i might have overdone it a bit, i'm also aware of that

Also the intent was always to test different thecniques to prepare for the santisima trinidad, that i'm also going for a very weathered look, i've played arround with indian ink, with vinager and steel wool solution, i've used washes, i've used pigments (i've fooled arround with oil painting but didn't use on th model), i've tested 3 or 4 different products to oxide different metals and i've improved my knowledge on what to use and where to use it for a certain look, wich is exactly what i wanted before going for the santisima trinidad.

And the fact that the white makes mistakes pop, weathering allows me to hide them, hehe, also have to be honest here.

Thanks for the kind words, i do have a few more pictures, i'll update the thread soon

Edited by LFNokia

well,  I'm glad you didn't take offense........I in no means meant anything negative.  if you did this good with this project......I can imagine what you will achieve with the S.T.  :)    you have a 'weather worn eye' ......I in a million years would never be able to do what you've done here ;) 

BTW....I don't see any mistakes in the construction either ;) 

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Today we document the journey of the smokestacks

1. we airbrush black primer

1558901432993.jpg

2. airbrush rust colour

1558902098412.jpg

3. airbrush light rust

1558901432691.jpg

4. airbrush orange rust

1558901432353.jpg

5. apply dark brown RLM61 with a sponge

1558901432637.jpg

6. splater orange rust with a brush and a tooth pick

1558901432554.jpg

7. Airbrush rust wash to act as a filter to tie everything together

1558901386180.jpg

8. Airbrush chipping medium

1558901386117.jpg

9. Airbrush Black

1558901385833.jpg

10. Chip away some of the black

1558901385706.jpg

1558903587111.jpg

11.  apply pigments

1558901355842.jpg

1558903587111.jpg

12. matt varnish and final result

1558896637168.jpg

1558901803017.jpg

1558901829524.jpg

Hope you enjoy the smokestacks journey, was fun for me...

Edited by LFNokia

Very nice "how to" in images. I tend to forget to take photgraphs, I end up with a half completed (if I even manage that) "how to"

Edited by cog

Carl

the stacks look great!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

And the finished product, it needs a couple coats of varnish, and i'm working on a simple display case

I will take proper and better pictures once this is completed, but here are a few pictures of the final result

1560176253150.jpg
1560176253385.jpg
1560176254754.jpg
1560176255416.jpg
1560176254989.jpg

Thanks for everyone that liked and commented. This one is over, i'll see you guys soon on a new thread.

Well done and congratulations!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

A very life like build. Impressive feat when you look at the weathering, and all the different details you have added to her. You have done her credit. I thoroughly enjoyed your build and learned a few things during it!

Edited by cog

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

congratz on finishing her.........she such an awesome looking project :)    you definitely have some really good weathering techniques!   so interesting to watch her grow!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: