Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

• 3 weeks later...

I really need to be better organized.  After waiting a couple weeks for replacement line i discover that i had a new spool of exactly the size i needed in my box of rigging. Actually 1 of 2 boxes.  I kinda forgot that i had 2 boxes of line; one was not enough for all the stuff left over from 50 years of modeling. 😬😖🤪

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I don’t have a ton of experience but I definitely learned that same type of lesson after my first build. Now even though I may jump around a bit, I always try to work from the center of the deck outward. 

Your Morgan is coming along nicely. 

Tom

By the way. The bent tweezers seen on the work table I have had for over 50 years.  Good tools last forever. I purchased them from James Bliss Co in Boston.   Bliss was mainly an outfitter for real boats but they did deal in Model Shipways “Yellow Box” kits, hobby tools, and some other ship kits whose brand I no longer remember.   I purchased Young America, Newsboy, and the Essex there.   Sorry to say the Young America and Newsboy were badly damaged after several house moves and are no longer around. By the 1970s Bliss moved outside the city and eventually closed up I think.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ron

It looks great. I will use it as a guide. 😀. I just started shaping mine. It definitely is a bit tedious when you need 7 of them. Luckily two are upside down. 👍

Tom

Edited by toms10
Spelling

If you look through the build log you will see that i made the boats many months ago.  The’ve been patiently waiting in the boat yard until now.

Also, to be honest I cheated on the davit lines.   The plans call for a double block on the hook and triple sheaves on the davits.  I found that it was impossible to drill a triple sheave; the tip of the davit got so weak it broke off.  So its a single sheave and a single block on the hook.  

Edited by Papa

Some you gotta do what you gotta do. 😜. I don’t think anyone will catch that and I won’t say anything. 😂

Tom

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)

I have one last belaying point to tie up and put a rope loop on.  The model has been in my study for months now and I just can’t get the enthusiasm to clean up that last pin.  It looks great as is and one has to look closely to see the loose line.  Also I should probably add some more gear in the whale boats.   I just totally lost interest. 
ps, the untied line is for the cutting stage.  

Edited by Papa

2 hours ago, John Ruy said:

Excellent… 👏 Nice work Ron, your hard work has paid off. It’s been quite the journey, Job well done. 👍 

John

Thanks.  She has been done for a while. I just neglected to post a photo.