Charles W Morgan by Papa - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64th scale

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job on the head.  It reminds me of the original one that I saw at Mystic Seaport when they were refurbishing the Morgan.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

2 hours ago, Ryland Craze said:

Nice job on the head.  It reminds me of the original one that I saw at Mystic Seaport when they were refurbishing the Morgan.

Thanks. I had to toss 2 tries before I got this one.  I thought about leaving the door open and doing some inside detail, but it was hard enough getting the outside to fit. 

On 3/26/2020 at 5:24 PM, ragove said:

Almost finished the tryworks. Waiting for the paint to dry on the doors.  

971CCFE5-0E97-4444-9DC4-271F9A7EF008.jpeg

Excellent work, I am just starting the deck furniture on my vintage CWM. I laid out my lead parts on the deck and am in the process of deciding how much scratch build will be involved. I’m not happy with the look of the vintage parts. Your work is a great inspiration for me. Looking forward to your build log entries. Keep up the good work. 👍

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

• 3 weeks later...

A word of advice, learned the hard way😬.  Drill out and install the hawse pipes and mooring ports BEFORE installing the windlass assembly.  They are very much in the way.

Second lesson: Remember all those laser cut parts you looked at when starting the kit.  I forgot the knees for the windlass were already made for me!  I scratch built them.  Good experience i guess  Perhaps I should have made notes on the plans and instructions about all those parts.

Beautiful work!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

16 hours ago, ragove said:

A word of advice, learned the hard way😬.  Drill out and install the hawse pipes and mooring ports BEFORE installing the windlass assembly.  They are very much in the way.

Second lesson: Remember all those laser cut parts you looked at when starting the kit.  I forgot the knees for the windlass were already made for me!  I scratch built them.  Good experience i guess  Perhaps I should have made notes on the plans and instructions about all those parts.

Great work... 👍 
Keep up the advice on your posting. I’m following closely, I’ll be getting back to my CWM as soon as I finish the Viking Ship. CWM got a bit sideline while I worked on the Viking. But that’s a good thing, it allows you get ahead of me. 😎

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ragove said:

On the plans, there are several circles labeled “port lights”.  Is that lights as in window panes?  Or lights as in 💡

That’s lights as in window lights. (port holes) my kit had Brass Fitting to frame them. 

Edited by John Ruy

After at least 5 attempts I finally got the cheek timbers and bolster in place and looking like the photo of the Morgan in the instruction booklet. I the process I installed and then had to rip out and destroy the hawse castings. Now I am waiting for replacements from Model Expo.  Love their parts replacement policy!

BDAD3700-28A1-447E-8ADF-397478A4ADFE.jpeg

Edited by ragove

• 2 weeks later...

Alternatively you can install the lower end of the stays and coil them up for rigging later.  Just be sure to accurately place the eyelets and leave more than enough rigging. Here is what I did on the anchor deck. 
F5710EF0-8AD7-4C54-962F-349EC58D7AEF.thumb.jpeg.338f57597cf9255fe503ce421f0d3a95.jpeg

“the lower end of the stays and coil them up for rigging later.  Just be sure to accurately place the eyelets and leave more than enough rigging. Here is what I did on the anchor deck. “

I thought about doing that but in then end figured this would work best. Being a worrier I’d have left about a yard of extra line to get in the way. 

i started the steps to the anchor deck.  And once again realized that I should have waited to install the  windlass until after the bow work was completed. 😬

1E058C26-2965-4EA7-8E89-089363FEC807.jpeg